Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 04:14PM

Someone said that Kate Kelly needed money for a computer because she had expenses travelling to the US from Kenya for a family emergency. It's true she said this in her request. She claimed her father (who lives in Utah) had surgery and that it cost her an extra $1,000 to travel to see him. She claimed she needed to get the new laptop before returning to Kenya in the next few days.

But if you look at twitter, she was interviewed yesterday on stage in New York where she was attending Tribeca Film Festival Disruptive. Seems her trip to the US was preplanned (not an emergency). Seeing her father in Utah may have been a detour that added another $1000 in costs but not the emergency she made it out to be as it conveniently coincided with visiting New York for this event where she was being interviewed on stage yesterday.

Either the organizers paid her expenses to come from Kenya to the US for this on stage event or she has plenty of money to live this lifestyle by choice. Many of her supporters are seeing her true character. The ones left have turned into fanatics blinded by being close to someone in the limelight. https://twitter.com/kate_kelly_esq

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 04:20PM

Oh yes... I just saw that article on her NY trip. Left me shaking my head also.

I have read her whole fund account article (costs, trip to see father, etc.) and find it very strange.
I'm suspicious by nature these days, and wonder what this whole fund thing is really all about. Computer for $1500 give excess to her pet charity Ordain Women... Really. I'm just not that trusting and gullible...
This seems to me to be a way to keep her "pet charity" alive in the minds of the people who bought into her protest.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 04:22PM

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/2434905-155/ordain-women-founder-kate-kelly-happier

When I first looked at the picture to the article I momentarily thought, "whoa, she does look invigorated."

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 07:07PM

...towards a new hairdo for Kate Kelly. That Amy Farrah Fowler look ain't workin' for her. :-)

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 07:10PM

then I realized I mistook her for Abby Huntsman.

Date: April 24, 2015 07:38PM

"then I realized I mistook her for Abby Huntsman."

Had yer eyes checked lately? :-)

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 08:18PM

I thought the same thing! Then I looked a little more right, and was like "oh, there she is."

Date: April 24, 2015 08:23PM

randyj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...towards a new hairdo for Kate Kelly. That Amy
> Farrah Fowler look ain't workin' for her. :-)

I don't know about that. Works for me! She does have great hair. I notice people with really great hair --- I didn't get much to start with!

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 04:46PM

First World Problems are such a bitch.

Tragic.

Human

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 06:04PM

Date: April 24, 2015 06:16PM

I am still trying to find out if she is a member of the bar anywhere.
I found this info:

I did find a short review of some of her work.
Here: Scroll down
http://legalactionworldwide.org/team/
(white space added for ease in reading.)
"Kate Kelly is Legal Advisor at LAW and takes the lead on LAW’s work addressing sexual violence in Somalia as well as strategic casework for the Horn of Africa.

Kelly graduated cum laude with a Juris Doctor (J.D.) from American University Washington College of Law, the only law school in the world founded by, and for, women.

At American University she received the Peter M. Cicchino Award for Outstanding Advocacy in the Public Interest, the school’s top honor in public interest law.

She worked previously as an Ella Baker Fellow at the Center for Constitutional Rights in New York City; a law clerk at the Inter-American Court of Human Rights in San Jose Costa Rica; a research assistant to the Chair of the United Nations Committee Against Torture in Geneva, Switzerland; a post-grad fellow at the Women’s Refugee Commission and as an attorney at the RFK Center for Justice & Human Rights in Washington, D.C. Kelly is a member of the District of Colombia Bar."

I Googled Dist of Columbia find a member and could not find her name - Kate Kelly or used her husband's name J.Neil Ransom. I tried Kate Kelly, Kate Kelly Ransom, Kate Ransom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 06:16PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 07:45PM

I'm extremely skeptical of her, her organization, her beliefs & her methods, but did you even check that her full name is *****Kathleen*****?!?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 07:51PM

She's listed -- Kathleen Marie Kelly, active member of the District of Columbia Bar, admitted July 12, 2013.

http://www.dcbar.org/membership/find-a-member-results.cfm

Date: April 24, 2015 08:20PM

summer Wrote:
> She's listed -- Kathleen Marie Kelly, active
> member of the District of Columbia Bar, admitted
> July 12, 2013.
>
> http://www.dcbar.org/membership/find-a-member-resu
> lts.cfm

Thanks! There she is.
My first error... which I thought of later... use her full legal name. Duh! But I needed a nap!
OK..that's it. I didn't know that until now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 08:25PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: April 24, 2015 08:54PM

Exactly, practicing law for one and a half years. Yet promoting herself as a leader in human rights law. All her prior work was intern work, school related or training related, not having actual clients herself. Not to put down what she has done but putting perspective on the misrepresentation that she's changing the world or a leader in human rights work at great personal sacrifice.

Date: April 24, 2015 09:05PM

Cristina Wrote:

It's the misrepresentations that bothers me the most.

Date: April 24, 2015 06:21PM

Thanks for the compliment, Susie Q. (Continued from another post.)

To cupcakeliker, remember Kate Kelly's online profiles only repeat her own bios about herself. S.E.L.F. promotion/resume.

I'm a lawyer too--addressing your comment that maybe we think she's too uppity for us.

I can tell you exactly what her bio means: She received an award in law school for excellence in work required as part of her program. She's been employed short term in every one of those other roles--for months. Law clerk, research assistant, post grad fellow, etc. She's a Legal Advisor now, which is a glorious way of saying she is not employed by them. Means she freelances, does case work, which means she's paid on a need basis to write documents.

The subject matter of her work is important but her actual work, so far, is no more exhausting than any other working person. Yes, her work is important. And so is the work of a teacher, police officer, therapist, child care worker, etc.

She is not sacrificing herself. I still maintain that she is at this point overselling what actual part time work she does. And it explains why she cannot afford her own computer. If she were employed by this agency, they would pay for her computer. She is a freelancer, looking for projects if they come her way.

Also explains how she could dedicate the amount of time she has to OW and the side show she created. No full time working attorney (or teacher) could match her.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 08:17PM

That's a good analysis of what's probably going on. Law students and new graduates often go through a series of fellowships, clerkships, and so forth. Anyone who's serious about human rights or public interest will accept some of the numerous opportunities to work for free or nearly for free. A resume like hers doesn't really stand out since that's already the norm. She may even have fallen behind, although to her credit she's obviously trying to keep busy.

Let me explain something about public interest law. Her former law school at American University admits hundreds of students competing for only a few positions in that field. The school is also extremely greedy, charging high tuition but offering an unusually small percentage of financial aid. So she most likely incurred some debt to go to law school. There is something called PSLF, Public Service Loan Forgiveness, which not only reduces her payments but forgives all the debt after 10 years. But she has to stay employed in public interest, human rights, or a government job. She probably took whatever she could find in Kenya, and may not get paid very much. So her career in law is pretty informal, that bar membership in DC is dubious, and that intervention in Somalia is more social work or social activism than legal practice.

However, she's staying involved in what she wants to do, and ironically her low or sporadic pay would tend to justify that request to fund a computer. I hope that her moment of fame is over, but I wish her the best in her newfound freedom.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 08:38PM

Sorry, apparently someone found her DC bar membership. That should help her career once she comes back. Still not valid in Kenya or Somalia, though.

Date: April 24, 2015 09:25PM

That explains why she may benefit greatly by staying associated with this agency--wiping out student loan debt.

I don't believe she's seen one day of poverty.

There are tons of pictures of her online, wearing expensive outfits and I've counted at least 8 pair of those peculiar personalized eyeglasses within a 2 year period of time. I remember what it was like being a new graduate. I barely had any clothes, let alone the expensive clothes she is seen wearing all over the place. She wears expensive outfits to third world countries. Just go online and look for photos. The fabrics and vibrancy of the colors alone show all her clothes are new and expensive. Totally out of place, she stands out from other "humanitarians." Most people own two pairs of glasses, not 8 speciality frames.

She's an opportunist, pure and simple.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 06:24PM

Has she passed the bar in any jurisdiction?

Date: April 24, 2015 06:31PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Has she passed the bar in any jurisdiction?

I have not found any validation. But that just means I've looked and not found anything. It maybe there, but I don't know where. I put her name into a link for names in Dist of Columbia and it did not come up. I also tried a general link to all states-nothing, Others have checked other states.
Anything can be posted into an article, information is not typically vetted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 06:39PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 07:31PM

Maybe Kate has not passed the bar in any state in the U.S.

Date: April 24, 2015 08:21PM

themaster Wrote:
> Maybe Kate has not passed the bar in any state in
> the U.S.

Have to use her full legal name ! Thanks to "summer"////

summer Wrote:
> She's listed -- Kathleen Marie Kelly, active
> member of the District of Columbia Bar, admitted
> July 12, 2013.
>
> http://www.dcbar.org/membership/find-a-member-resu
> lts.cfm

Date: April 24, 2015 07:51PM

...and she's begging for $1500 computer money on the internet?

Two weeks ago, I had to unexpectedly buy new tires ($300), a new freezer ($700), and another (expected) $300 for two nights' motel rooms at our family reunion, which was 350 miles away. Not to mention the extra gas, food, etc., for the trip.

I put it all on my credit card. It never occurred to me to ask random people on the internet for help.

Seriously---it seems to me that if Kate Kelly is involved in some sort of charity legal aid work, then she needs to hook up with "moneyed" people who fund that sort of thing. You know, some of these big-time charities who claim to do that. Heck, maybe Kate can ask the Clinton Family Foundation for some help. They seem to have plenty of money.

Or, seeing as how she's just been interviewed by Abby Huntsman, maybe she could hit up Abby's billionaire relatives for money.

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 08:06PM

What is irritating to many (myself included) is the lack of shame attached to putting your hand out these days.

Back in the day, using credit to buy anything other than a house was shameful...an indication that you were unable to live within your means and save towards a goal.

Nowadays, runaway debt, multiple bankruptcies, and more recently, going online for handouts from total strangers, regardless of your true need, is apparently the thing to do.

I suppose that if you're honest in your "fund me" request, it's not illegal or deceitful, but shameful? I guess that depends on how old-fashioned you are.

This behavior, in my view, undermines the lady's credibility as a leader of any supposed ethical movement.

Posted by: BaldMan ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 08:37PM

I appreciate whoever found her license information. I'm glad she is actually licensed. This allays a concern I've had for a year or so about her licensure status. I don't have anything against her or her movement, but I had not been able to find information about where she practiced. I'm a lawyer myself (licensed in two states, active status in one and inactive in the other), and I've felt since she first came into the public eye that for someone with relatively limited experience, she seems to rely rather heavily on the label of international human rights lawyer. And yet I had never seen anything in the articles about where she was licensed. So I actually feel kind of relieved to know she is.

Date: April 24, 2015 08:40PM

BaldMan Wrote:
> I appreciate whoever found her license
> information. I'm glad she is actually licensed.
> This allays a concern I've had for a year or so
> about her licensure status. I don't have anything
> against her or her movement, but I had not been
> able to find information about where she
> practiced. I'm a lawyer myself (licensed in two
> states, active status in one and inactive in the
> other), and I've felt since she first came into
> the public eye that for someone with relatively
> limited experience, she seems to rely rather
> heavily on the label of international human rights
> lawyer. And yet I had never seen anything in the
> articles about where she was licensed. So I
> actually feel kind of relieved to know she is.

See Cristina's analysis.. she's a lawyer also.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1568194,1568291#msg-1568291

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 10:07PM

Someone might need a basic used computer to get a job. Perhaps they need help because they can't do what they must at the library.

I don't feel sorry for anyone who wants donations for an over $1000,00 computer.

No one I know has that unless their employer bought it.

If it isn't a life necessity, this person needs to get a grip. I have no patience for self centered demanding adult sized toddlers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.