Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: New Name ( )
Date: April 26, 2015 11:20PM

You can take Jesus out Mormonism and what you have left is still Mormonism. If you take Jesus out of Christianity you have nothing. There is nothing there. Mormonism does not collapse if Jesus is removed, thus it is not a Christian faith. Jesus is crucial to Christianity, not so for Mormonism. He isn't needed. He is an add on. What is needed in Mormonism is a prophet. Mormons are not Christians.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: April 26, 2015 11:36PM

Hodor

Date: April 27, 2015 12:12AM

I see you are a little too heavy on the back pain meds tonight. Poor guy.

Date: April 27, 2015 01:35AM

A flap jack jack rabbit. Flap-jack rabbit for short.

Date: April 27, 2015 01:39AM

Probably owned by a jack Mormon. That would be a jack Mormon's flap jack jack rabbit. You do not see one of those every day. Unless you go too heavy on the meds.

Posted by: Jesse ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 12:30AM

Meh, Jesus likely existed but he wasn't a magical being/son of god. All religion is just crazy.

Date: April 27, 2015 12:52AM

You know this because you have investigated ALL religions, past and present? Are there not thousands of them spanning the eternities? You must be very busy.

Posted by: Jesse ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 12:59AM

Yup, pretty busy,

Date: April 27, 2015 01:30AM

Let's see. That makes 3 down, 7624 to go? You have a lot of work ahead of you to prove all religions crazy. Good luck!

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 12:52AM

I sure am glad that Mormon prophets have always loved the idea of being christian so very much. *sarcasm*

"After the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized, there were only two churches upon the earth. They were known respectively as the Church of the Lamb of God and Babylon. The various organizations which are called churches throughout Christendom, though differing in their creeds and organizations, have one common origin. They all belong to Babylon."

- Apostle George Q. Cannon, Gospel Truth, p. 324

Prophet Ezra Taft Benson (1899 - 1994):

"This is not just another Church. This is not just one of a family of Christian churches. This is the Church and kingdom of God, the only true Church upon the face of the earth..."

"What! Are Christians ignorant? Yes, as ignorant of the things of God as the brute beast."

- Prophet John Taylor, Journal of Discourses, v. 13, p. 225

"What does the Christian world know about God? Nothing... Why so far as the things of God are concerned, they are the veriest fools; they know neither God nor the things of God."

- Prophet John Taylor, Journal of Discourses, v. 13, p. 225

http://mormonthink.com/QUOTES/christianity.htm

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 01:32AM

You state that Mormonism would be no different without Christ, and there would be nothing at all left of Christianity without Christ.

You provide zero evidence to back up either claim. I see this as nothing more than name calling. "I'm Christian and you're not. Nyah Nyah."

In my opinion, Mormonism is a restorationist Christian sect with an extra layer of nonsense slathered on top. Both are human creations.

Posted by: New name ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 01:55AM

Take all references to Jesus out of Mormonism. How would it change anything of any substance? Answer: it wouldn't.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 01:41AM

Meh, you could take jesus out of christianity and the vast majority of "christians" wouldn't even notice. Jesus seems to change every generation anyway

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2015 03:31PM by nonsequiter.

Date: April 27, 2015 02:01AM

How would you know?

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 02:03PM

Huh?

You make a bold statement in your original post.

Another poster makes an equally bold statement.

And you respond with "How would you know?"

You must be a miserable, insufferable, antagonistic, little weasel to be around - I'm supposing. (There's my bold statement for the day.)

Date: April 27, 2015 03:31PM

Because most christians are incapable of telling you about why they believe in jesus to begin with other than "Thats what my parents raised us as"

Its more about culture then it is about belief.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2015 03:36PM by nonsequiter.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 02:07AM

Every mormon has their own version of their religion. The ones that say it is about jesus haven't taken the time to learn their religion.

If you want to take Jesus out of mormonism you first need to get all the followers to get and use a library card...that should do it. No one knows who he is or what in the world he said so they make up their own version of feel good myth.

Personally I think mormons are not christians for the same reason that no one could be one. No one knows what his name is/was, or when he was born, or who his parents were. The writings in the new testament all contradict themselves and leave out any helpful detail. How can anyone be a follower of someone that they know nothing about? Stupid.

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 12:55PM

In my view Mormons are not Christians because they don't believe they are saved solely by faith in Christ. Instead, they rely on secret handshakes, names, ordinances, good works, etc.

Plus, the version of Jesus they believe in is a brother to Satan. Weird? I think so!

Date: April 27, 2015 01:43PM

Satan is a created being. If Jesus is his brother then Jesus was also a created being. God is eternal. In Mormonism Jesus cannot be God because the Mormon Nesus is not eternal.

In Christianity Jesus is God the son. As God, Jesus can save through faith. The Mormon Jesus cannot save the lost. It makes no sense to worship the Mormon Jesus as in the end ha can do nothing.

Posted by: New name ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 01:46PM

Sorry for the typos. I hit send instead of preview.

Date: April 27, 2015 02:06PM

And somehow your version of gobbledygook is more logical than the mormon's version of gobbledygook.

That's the truly weird.

Posted by: xdman ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 02:28PM

Some video clip from "Jesus is Lord" appeared on my facebook feed. I clicked on it and it was a video of some old guys accidentally dropping a statue of Mary. The congregation we very distressed. The comments were mostly along the line that those simple minded Catholics deserved it because they pray to statues and believe that they are alive. Of course if you ask a catholic they will tell you that is no what they do. But why believe them? Right? I mean, How would they know?

It is true that Mormons are not a protestant church. But just because protestants call themselves Christians doesn't mean that they get to decide who Christ is and who does or doesn't believe in him. You might be a majority religion in a powerful country, but that doesn't mean you get to decide what Christian means.

This is why I refuse to call protestants Christians.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 02:48PM

two things. The Mormon churches own statements as upsidedown has posted already; and the fact that as a Christian, I don't have to belong to any particular church to be saved.

Of course, the most useful reasons are those based in biblical theology with which the doctrines of Mormonism are acutely at odds but I'm afraid discussing those is a lost cause on this board.

Posted by: OregonBoy ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 03:05PM

If Mormons are Christians...then Christians should be Mormons. But they are NOT. End of discussion-

Date: April 27, 2015 03:34PM

Mormons area sect under the larger umbrella of christianity....

Your logic works like this...

If all californians are Americans, then all Americans should be californians... but they arent, there fore californians arent Americans.

See how false that reasoning is?

Date: April 27, 2015 03:27PM

If a tuna is a fish then all fish should be tuna.

We have a club. It is called "The Good Person Club." If we don't say you belong you don't because it is our club. If you don't belong you are not a good person because that is the name of our club.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2015 03:28PM by xdman.

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 03:27PM

All Jews pray to Jehovah the one true God.

All Christians pray to Jehovah/Jesus the one true God.

Mormons say Jehovah/Jesus is not the one true God nor do they pray to him, they pray to a different God named Elohim.

So since Mormons worship another God other then the one true God of Christians how are they still Christian?

Date: April 27, 2015 03:33PM

Because none of those gods exist, therefore it doesnt matter which one you pray to... you get to still call yourself a christian if you think some dude named christ died for you to have a shot at heaven.

Date: April 27, 2015 03:35PM

Tweedledee jumps over the puddle, whilst Tweedledum stomps right through.

Tweedledee claims Tweedledum isn't a true puddle-crosser, for stomping rather than jumping. Tweedledum claims the same of Tweedledee.

"True puddle-crossers always jump, and never stomp!" exclaims Tweedledee.

"The maker of puddles demands that we stomp, and never jump!" cries Tweedledum.

And on and on the carousal twirls...

Date: April 27, 2015 03:38PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.