Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pogie ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 12:23PM

yesterday I took my family down to the beach to relax and have some fun with friends. My wife posted some pics of us on Facebook. One of her friends post on their. "fun time is over its now time for you to go back to church and do your calling" That really set my wife off. If we want to go to the beach as a family on a Sunday why do they care so much. Also she had a picture with her holding a glass of wine. opps guess we better go talk to the Bishop hahaha since we

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 27, 2015 12:23PM

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 12:26PM

HA! Yep, that's what a lot of them think. You just want to "sin" and then you'll see the error of your ways and come slinking back.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 12:28PM

A Sunday on the beach with the family, a nice picnic and a chilled glass of white wine. Glorious, totally glorious.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 12:31PM

Get a clue...
They are jaleous.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 12:33PM

now that's funny right there

congrats to you pogie !!!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 12:36PM

The old crab bucket analogy. When one crab climbs to the top edge of the bucket, another crab reaches up to pull it back in.

Posted by: AnotherNoMo ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 01:44PM

Brilliant! Never heard THAT one before. Love it. OP should
Post It on Facebook as response, Fer Shure....

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 12:38PM

I'm glad she's posting photos about life beyond the bubble. The other lady is jealous and must tattle on her. Do your calling! Please continue posting photos of your sinful family unity.

Congratulations for doing normal family bonding activities! Which activity will your children remember more: being segregated at church/bored out of their skulls for hours on end, or a picnic at the beach with fun and relaxation?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 02:08PM

My nevermo parents regularly took us as very young kids to the beach for a picnic. Three of my sibs and I all still have memories of those times and we still love that beach. (One sib came along later). Sibs in turn have taken their kids there to spend time together. Parents can plant innumerable seeds. Who knows which ones will grow into beautiful memories that will continue on through generations and bond family units throughout time? We still talk about my "English lady" mom who packed the most incredible picnics. Not beach food but lavish spreads of tea-time goodies, including the mandatory English cucumber sandwich, devilled egg sandwiches, pickled onions, Branston pickle, cold meats (ham and roast beef), and tons of luxurious goodies. Then of course we had to have the obligatory tea, poured from Thermos bottles that had kept it piping hot. And we used proper china cups for it. Of course. :)

It all came out of a rather small-looking sturdy straw picnic basket. We still call Mom "Mary Poppins" for her ability to reach into that basket and pull out seemingly endless quantities of food that fed six of us, plus the odd friend here and there.

That's just one warm memory from way back. We wouldn't have had those times if my parents had been concerned with packing us off to church every Sunday.

For which we are truly grateful. :)

To OP, congrats on your newly discovered family time. I'm sure your kids will be loving it. I'm impressed that you only left the church a few weeks back but are already uncorking the wine!

The people from church who try to tell you what to do ("get back to your calling") are beyond unbelievable. It's not their business.

Besides, I'm convinced the callings are just a manufactured way to keep people feeling attached and obligated to the church. In "normal" churches, you can attend on Sunday, or not, at your own will. The church can still function without you there as they are professionally organized and staffed. Congregants go for their own spiritual enlightenment or other personal reasons like that, not to work free for the church.

I hope you stay away and keep enjoying your family time together. Let us know how it's going. We love to hear of how people are doing when they have only recently left the Mormon Church.

Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 12:38PM

I totally understand where you're coming from on this. My wife and I went up to our lakehouse for the weekend.

On sunday my 8 year old daughter caught a good size trout right off our dock, the first fish she has ever caught all by her self where she did everything from tying on the hook, baiting the line, casting the rod. She was so proud and I took a picture and posted it on facebook. Comment from my mom (who's father, my grandpa, fished his entire life and taught me when I was young):

"Happy for Gracie, but so sad to see you not attending church with your sweet children on this sacred day"

Seriously, they have to ruin everything.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 12:43PM

Thank you, grandma buzz kill.

Your daughter will always remember that "sacred" day. How many church lessons/sac talks does she remember?

Congratulations for being a great, attentive, supportive parent!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 12:44PM

As if la iglesia mormona does one G-D thing that makes Sunday sacred!

Okay, maybe there are some people who when they put the bread in their mouth, or as the water passes their lips, are really thinking about some dumb ass covenant they made with Jesus H. Christ, but they have to be so few and far between as to be negligible!

Bonding as a family seems to me to be a bit more important than keeping to a schedule and a formula set by the drones who inhabit the COB.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 09:10PM

brucermalarky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seriously, they have to ruin everything.

Yep. That's about it. Misery loves company.

Date: April 27, 2015 12:20PM

yesterday I took my family down to the beach to relax and have some fun with friends. My wife posted some pics of us on Facebook. One of her friends post on their. "fun time is over its now time for you to go back to church and do your calling" That really set my wife off. If we want to go to the beach as a family on a Sunday why do they care so much. Also she had a picture with her holding a glass of wine. opps guess we better go talk to the Bishop hahaha

Posted by: frackenmess ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 12:36PM

My take on family fun.

No one really wants to see you happy.

You cannot be happy on Sunday because it's not protocol. Members of TSCC need to be miserable in unison.

I remember a older gentleman speaking about the ills of people taking their boats up to the lake on Sunday. He became incensed with the idea of families having fun in the sun, driving through the canyon, laughing, making noise as he witnessed his neighbor pack up their belongings during the summer months on many Sundays.

I think the biggest reason he became so angry, he wasn't invited!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2015 12:37PM by frackenmess.

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 01:37PM

But your wife IS doing her calling - she's enjoying her time with family... Family Home Evenings... now with wine and a lot more laughter!

:)

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 09:38PM

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 01:39PM

This story appeared some time ago on RfM:

One Sunday morning the Mormon family was getting into the car to drive to the three hour Mormon church services. They were dressed in their Sunday best, carrying their scriptures and their lesson materials. The neighbors (non-Mormon) were also getting into their car, but they were in beach clothes, carrying balls, beach toys, and picnic baskets, and were laughing.

The Mormon boy saw them, and, like a good Mormon boy, commented, "They're not REALLY happy, are they, Dad?"

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 02:13PM

"fun time is over" lol, well that tells you that your relative certainly doesn't think of her church as "fun" does she?? lol.

seems like if there is a Supreme Being why wouldn't he/she/it/they want you to have fun??

enjoy your new family time, we spend more time as a family now than we ever did as Mormons with their crazy hamster wheel lives.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 02:43PM

Yeah, it seems like FB has now become a place where people can chastise other people they think are not doing what they deem "appropriate". I am very cautious about what I post on FB for that reason.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 04:03PM

Just unfriend that person. That's what I do when they get on my nerves over their religious beliefs.

I've done that to Messianic Jews, who are incredibly insensitive to others traditions and festive holidays.

When they get nasty - which most of them don't, but if one does, I either unfriend them or block them, depending on whether I want to have any future contact.

There was this one zealot Messianic who posted a demonic Easter Bunny to my wall, one Easter a few years back. I still celebrated the traditional Christian holidays with my children after we left Mormonism. I found that so utterly distasteful and disrespectful of our beliefs and traditions, and crude.

He was gone in a New York heartbeat. Make no apologies when you do it. Your peace of mind is more important than idiotic naysayers.

Posted by: sportsguy ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 09:01PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 09:46PM

First of all, every comment does not require a response.

Facebook gives you a lot of functions to deal with inappropriate comments. Besides ignoring them, you can choose a function.
One is to click on the X on the upper right of YOUR post and choose a function. Delete works great!

If posting on another persons post, and someone gets personal with you, click: "HIDE" and it's gone from your page.

The other function is BLOCK. I use that for people who make personal attacks etc. I go to their page and use the function under the 3 dots on the right ... BLOCK is one of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2015 09:47PM by SusieQ#1.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.