Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 01:05PM

In our opinion: Marriage definition on Supreme Court docket — don't turn believers into bigots

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765672612/Marriage-definition-on-Supreme-Court-docket-2-dont-turn-believers-into-bigots.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 01:24PM

Same old shit. "you're taking away our religious freedom and making us second class citizens if we can't be bigots and discriminate."

This editorial shows how ridiculous their arguments are and so many of the comments point it out. There is NOTHING. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. N-O-T-H-I-N-G about marriage equality that takes away anyone's religious rights. They can still discriminate in their churches. They can still marry, they still have all the rights they've always had.

It's about giving all people the same rights. Not taking. GIVING. Thirty-seven states have marriage equality now. Have you heard of it affecting any straight marriages? No. By saying it affects their religious rights, they are admitting they are bigots and they feel they get that right from their religion.

They don't want backlash? They don't want people to make fun of their religions? What do they think is going to happen if it ruled that it's a state issue (hence all states who have implemented it through federal judicial order will nix it), or that it's illegal period? They think they're being attacked now? They haven't seen anything yet.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 01:30PM

I hope ppl who read/subscribe to the DN think they're getting their $ worth, AND I hope that KSL / other church media outlets don't think they can get away with stuff that DN does.

just because DN (& other print) is printed, they think they can publish anything & call it news. that's why many electronic media want an end to gov't regulations (examples: how many/how much time commercials, stepping of volume of commercials, ads of 'hard liquor').

Does KSL refuse or allow beer ads?

and, btw, are both beer & wine sold in grocery stores (like here in WA) in Ew-tah?

USSC is deciding whether or not states can prohibit SSM ... NOT 'defining marriage'! (spinmeisters) SSM is now allowed for about (my guesstimate) 80% of U.S., 100% of Canadians. I'm curious about Norway....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2015 02:22PM by GNPE.

Date: April 27, 2015 01:39PM

My TBM Dad subscribes to the weekly boring morg church news and the "Deseret National News" in print. We get it weekly. He reads it throughout the week. I typically glance at it once it arrives. Often they have stories I've posted here during the week...Often I feel like I'm reading a tabloid "religious newspaper" minus all the funny and goofy headlines of the real ones!!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 01:39PM

When they were defending polygamy they didn't want to be turned into adulterers. They failed and they will again.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 01:47PM

Just for $Ħ!†$ and grins, since we were too broke to go out but wanted to do something fun for our anniversary, my husband and I played a game... we sat around home and tried to figure out how marriage equality would harm our own marriage, and the "institution of marriage".
Dang, neither of us won the game because we could not think of a doggone thing!

Date: April 27, 2015 01:56PM

It's too bad the morg and other religious nutcases couldn't do the same thing!! But then they'd have use those things called brain cells...

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 02:20PM

Regarding alcohol being sold in grocery stores is Utah -- only some beer and malt beverages (low alcohol content) are sold in grocery stories. Wine is not sold in grocery stores.

You have to go to the state-operated liquor store to get higher alcohol content beer, all wine, and all hard liquor.

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 05:59PM

I've only read a few of the comments on the article, but it is rather encouraging to me to see how many people are telling the editorial staff that they are way off base, and that marriage equality does nothing to deprive them of their right to practice their religion.

Posted by: bigbadger ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 08:51PM

I am pleasantly surprised and very encouraged. The LDS Church doesn't even appear to have the support of a good chunk of its members on this issue.

Posted by: already gone ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 06:22PM

they're just regurgitating what the Q12 say. if your reason to not have gay marriage is how you will look, you have a problem with logic and have and ego.

it's simple. don't act bigoted if you don't want to be called a bigot.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 08:26PM

When you can be made into a bigot with the stroke of a pen, perhaps you're just being found out.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 08:55PM

I can't help but wonder if the legal movements that are going on with what is legal, marriage wise, will eventually lead the LDS Church to re-instituting polygamy, in this life.

Sounds like an easy step for them to take, if they so choose. As a matter of PR, however, that is a different story. But legally, it could be an open door.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.