Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 11:55AM

We meeting up with some friends at the end of next month and planning on hiking there. I know you have to get a permit or go with a ranger (plus make sure you're well-prepared with water, first aid, etc...) but does anyone have any tips? ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 12:20PM

I've made love to the Fiery Furnace... (You know who you are!)

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 02:26PM

hahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahaha.

I love it.

Posted by: ZSH ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 12:35PM

It's a really fun hike and fairly easy (as far as "slot canyons" go). I have seen young kids do it (obviously with the help of their parents). There are a bunch of great hikes in Moab, my favorites are the corona arch trail and of course the delicate arch. www.alltrails.com is a great resource. Good luck and have fun!

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 01:48PM

We did it as a family several years ago. My youngest was 5 or 6 years old & she just needed a few "boosts" in a couple of places. Other than that it was an easier hike than I had expected.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 10:42PM

Sounds fun. Is it pretty? Vistas? What's it like?

Date: April 30, 2015 10:55PM

http://www.moabutah.info/images/hires/Fiery_Furnace_La_Sals.jpg

It's a labyrinth of hoo-doos and slot canyons. It looks fun and people I trust are telling me it's not too bad, just easy to get lost in. I wonder if bringing blue chalk and drawing arrows to find the way back is allowed? The site explains it has no markers or cairns.

Posted by: krampus! ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 11:19PM

Definitely no drawing or carving on the sandstone would be allowed or good with all the visitors it gets. Draw a map of your route, maybe, and bring a compass to know the general direction back to your vehicles.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 01:45PM

Date: May 01, 2015 02:12PM

I didn't think string would work a la' Theseus. :)

I know how to use a compass and all that (plus basic survival skills), but my lack of direction can get muddled much worse in a place like this. Plus, what happened when we went hiking outside of Escalante (it wasn't serious, more of just an irritant) and my BF always saying, "Oh, it's an easy hike, you'll be fine" (and then it's not) makes me wary of when he and our friends minimize any danger.

I'm thinking we'll do the ranger guided hike and if anyone wants to explore on their own later, they can do so.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 11:32PM

I never hiked fiery furnace.

I hiked to delicate arch and to druid arch and the entire virgin narrows.

Plus I've driven over elephant hill twice in one night in the dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4e-p9e45Zc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 12:04AM by Dave the Atheist.

Date: May 01, 2015 09:54PM

BF just told me about how someone lost their brakes and went down it backwards in the 80s?

Is that Dixie Chicks playing in the background? I have new (to me) albums to purchase for the road trip now.

We hiked to Delicate Arch last time and also a trail that's mainly known to the natives. The former was every bit as spectacular as the pictures.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.