Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lonely ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 05:08PM

I am a married, professional, child-free woman in my 30's and I live in the Salt Lake area. Leaving TSCC was the best thing I ever did, but I feel a little lost as to how to make friends since leaving. I have work friends, and I'm still in touch with a few old friends from my morg days, but I don't have any really close girlfriends like I did when I was younger. Having children seems to be a great way to make mommy friends, but I don't have kids and don't want them. I haven't had much luck with MeetUp groups either

Any suggestions? What are some ways you have built a community of friends without religion or children? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: whywait ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 05:10PM

Do you have a hobby? See if there is a group for that hobby in SLC.

Volunteer for a cause you support.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 05:30PM

Get a dog, or borrow one. You'll meet loads of new people who want to chat.

Posted by: cupcakełicker (sober) ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 05:35PM

Is there a kennel where I can rent a dog for a couple days?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 05:39PM

Your local SPCA likely uses volunteer dog walkers. So if you don't have a dog of your own, a shelter pet would just love a chance to get some fresh air.

Date: April 30, 2015 05:41PM

You might try to cultivate older single females, particularly those who come from outside of Utah. Pick someone likely and invite her out to lunch and a movie, or something similar. Some women are open to new friendships and some are not -- you just have to keep trying. But it all starts with the first, specific invitation.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 05:59PM

I didn't know I could do this! Will my wife till up my garden if I do?

*snort*

Date: April 30, 2015 06:42PM

Okay, "cultivate relationships with." :) Take it easy on the schoolmarm -- it's been a tough week. lol

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 07:03PM

;^D

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 06:40PM

You would be surprised at how many women in your area are marginally Mormon, on the periphery who think it's mostly sexist crap... Some may be early empty nesters looking for friends. Don't limit yourself to only your age group, older women are wise and sassy and have large social circles-always one event or another going on...

Try meet up groups, Yahoo, lunch groups, book clubs, pet groups, garden groups, art classes... yoga, water aerobics, walking groups, mild hiking/camping... What are you interested in? Try some lectures at the UofU...

I'm not in Utah, but there should be plenty of exmos/post-Mos around to connect with. Have fun and keep trying new activities. =)

Date: April 30, 2015 06:45PM

Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't limit yourself to only your age group...

That was one of the very best pieces of advice I ever got (from a vibrant 70-something) -- "cultivate friends of all ages." I have one young friend right now who is just starting out in her career. I love to help her network!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 06:46PM by summer.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 07:44PM

I have found a website called meetup.com. I registered but haven't really gone to anything yet. You can register and join meetups from many different types of activities.
Edit. I didn't read the whole thing and just barely saw you haven't had luck with those.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 07:46PM by Drew90.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 09:38PM

There's lots of not-for-profits that need volunteers, if you have time to spare.

Also, if you like to be creative, living in the Salt Lake Valley has lots of resources to get involved whether creative writing, arts & crafts, or some other hobby you can get involved with by joining a club, or an exercise class.

A women's tea club [or bridge club] might be a way to meet other women just for conversation periodically. Garden clubs are popular too for both sexes for socializing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 09:39PM by amyjo.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 09:52PM

Do volunteer work.

Posted by: HappyandFree ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 11:27PM

Take a look at The Junior League. It's a national women's volunteer organization with a chapter in Salt Lake City. I joined The League when I'd been in SLC less than a year. It's comprised of really terrific women in ages ranging from 20's to 70's. Many (most, actually) who are professionals. Most are from somewhere other than Utah, and found the Junior League a really good place to network and make friends while doing very rewarding volunteer work in the community. Sadly, I've had to let my membership lapse this past year due to overwhelming life demands, but I'm hoping to get back this summer. They hold open houses a few times a year to let prospective members find out what The League is all about. Check their web page and go to their next open house. You might love it!

Posted by: HappyandFree ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 11:33PM

P.S. If the Salt Lake chapter of The Junior League has any LDS members, they are definitely in the minority. All the women I got to know in The League had moved to SLC for a job, (or husband's job), weren't LDS, have a lot of energy and desire to make friends and get involved in their new city, but had found it very tough to meet people. The League provides a very good platform for this. The League has lots of fun social activities in addition to very fulfilling volunteer work. Many of the members have children, but that's not the focus of getting together. And it's totally secular! Good luck and have fun!

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 11:45PM

Soroptomists in SLC? Professional or educated women mentor girls. They also raise money for battered women/children, fight against international human traffickers... I attended their fundraiser/benefit recently. They are great people, concerned about making progress...

Posted by: Cypher ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 07:49AM

I kind of experienced the same thing...Good buddies in your teens and 20's are the norm, but once I hit my mid 30's I really noticed buddy-buddy friendship's declining because people started to get busy with their own family. I also started feeling too old to go out to clubs and stuff.

So eventually I got married...now my "friends" are work associates, family, and small talk with the neighbors and other parents at the little league game.

Sucks to grow old, but I guess its even worse not to!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.