Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 04:21PM

Doesn't sound good for Monson.
Hope his replacement is soon.

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/2465653-155/at-87-mormon-leader-thomas-s

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 04:51PM

It is too bad for the exmormon community that BKP is so feeble.

There is nothing that could have grown our community faster than Boyd in his prime and every mormon having a smart phone and Google.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 05:52PM

Couldn't he do some damage to bring people here!??

Date: May 01, 2015 05:53PM

So who's next in line for the office of Profit!??

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 06:10PM

Well, for the umteenth time this has been posted, I refresh your memory:

https://www.lds.org/manual/teachings-of-the-living-prophets-student-manual/chapter-3-succession-in-the-presidency?lang=eng

In essence, unless he dies before TSM, Boyd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 06:10PM by moose.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 04:56PM

Well, you know, he waited long and hard for GBH to breathe his last, so TSM wants to be the top dude as long as possible, even if he's no longer aware he's the top dude.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 04:59PM

Must be more to the story, of course.

Posted by: sassenach ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 05:04PM

From the article:

"The [LDS] church today has been organized by the Lord himself," 90-year-old apostle Russell M. Nelson, third in line for the Mormon presidency, said in an October 2014 conference address. "He has put in place a remarkable system of governance that provides redundancy and backup. That system provides prophetic leadership even when the inevitable illnesses and incapacities may come with advancing age."

The "redundancy and backup" is only more old men lacking physical and intellectual ability.

Yes, very redundant.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )

God hasn't put anything in place. Listen to the interview yesterday on NPR and you'll hear how many times the mode for determining the next prophet has been changed.

Men have put in place what today has delivered the old men who have painted TSCC into a corner.

No revelation here. Just stale ideas and a perfect example of the Peter Principle.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 05:39PM

link:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1573625,1573625#msg-1573625

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 06:03PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 05:44PM

A fitting farewell to the last of the Pepsi generation Steve.

Date: May 01, 2015 06:00PM

This guy should have been playing golf every day 25 years ago.

It will REALLY be a blow for TSCC to have the next prophet be Boyd K. Packer. Physically feeble. Mentally feeble. Doctrinally extreme.

His talk at this past general conference was nothing short difficult to follow and difficult to process. Same shit, difference century. That's how long this guy has been pedaling his own special message of "how to screw up Mormon teenagers for life."

If Monson dies and Packer ascends, The world will see how lame Mormon leadership is and the plan they have for succession.

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 06:02PM

When his time does come -- as it does for us all -- oh, how I hope that Packet can assume the presidency, even for a few days. At least long enough for the media to provide comprehensive coverage of his crazy quotes and products (i.e. "For Young Men Only").

A couple of conferences would be nice.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 06:13PM

Perhaps that will accelerate the decline of Mormon Inc, by putting him there. It will give some of the laymembers more reason to walk, once they figure out the timing.

Date: May 01, 2015 06:20PM

You know this must be scary for the apostles family. For some of these family members their father (or brother, uncle, grandfather) has afforded them great access to the benefits of the church.

Guaranteed admission and free tuition and board to BYU and other schools. Front row seating to conference, concerts and temple dedications. Free travel when space is available. The adoration that comes from name dropping the family apostle.

Finally, THE MONEY. I'm sure what it is in total, but you know families benefit financially.

The reason these men won't leave early is because if they do someone else becomes steward over the financial empire and the benefits of emeritus general authorities. If these guys are not in power then they are not in control.

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 06:25PM

I have a " For Young Men Only " product . I am saving it for when he passes....it will be worth a lot of money .

Tommy Boy didn't look so good during General Conference in April. Perhaps his time has come???

Posted by: Shummy ( )

Wait til the newly anointed Prophet of God BK Packer's pronouncements about physical mischeif come to light.

>It was intended that we use this power only with our partner in marriage. I repeat, very plainly, physical mischief with another man is forbidden. It is forbidden by the Lord.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 06:35PM

MWWWAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

Now is the great day of my power. I reign from the rivers to the ends of the earth. There is none who dares to molest or make afraid.

ME, Void K Packer!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 07:59PM

Looks like a succession of Russian presidents coming.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 08:20PM

Exactly. It's a perfect corporate org. chart. Nothing divine or inspired about it. I hope he goes quick- doesn't suffer, and Packer, in his vegetated state takes the reigns. Although, I wouldn't put it past the church if Packer, all of a sudden, has a fatal episode before he can assume the throne.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 03:46PM

Arsenic worked for Brigham Young. It'll work for BKP.

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 03:19PM

Since I was always told growing up in the church that God picked the prophet not man.

If this is true, then the next person to be prophet, reveled by God himself in all his glory to the remaining 14 clowns in the holy room of holy rooms in the SLC Temple could be a carnival ride operator from Orlando.

Posted by: siflbiscuit ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 02:04AM

I'm so glad God picks His leaders and it's not just whoever is next in line.

Oh wait...

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 02:40PM

""Emeritus status is not a consideration for the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve," the LDS Church said in its Friday statement. They retain their positions until death."

So the church is led by a board of directors, not a president. Poor TSM won't resign because he's not allowed to.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.