Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 12:50PM

... to prove by ONLY using the bible... that the book of mormon is a fraud...

LOL

He is SO convinced that me and 'my club' can't.. just like everybody else who tried in the last 185 years that he was betting 5 thousand bucks on it...

oh..
Cash!

*smirk*

I replied the following:
"Wow, I'm sorry you feel the need to resort to this kind of thing to try and prove your point. I'm sorry you are so angry. I don't need nor want your money. I do not have 'a club'. I do not believe that the bible has any use whatsoever. I do however stand by my opinion that the book of mormon is a fraud, and quite an obvious one at that. Many people in the past 185 years have made that very clear. You just don't want to see it. That's fine. Keep calm. Believe what you choose to believe. You don't need to convince anyone if you are happy with your life and your beliefs. "

It's really quite sad that people are thát blind and get so worked up. (this was only part of a dissussion that's going on in the comments of a youtube vid.)
I feel bad for this person, but can't help but giggle over such huge amounts of religious insanity..

Anybody want to earn 5000 bucks?

:-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ness ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 12:53PM

Funny.
Of course no one can disprove the BoM with the Bible. It would be impossible to "prove" any thing from one source, when all Mormons would say to every passage is "it's mistranslated"

Date: May 02, 2015 12:57PM

Yep

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 12:54PM

And just who will be the judge of whether or not the BOM has
been proven false using the Bible? Will it be your friend who
is putting up the money?

When the person putting up the money is also the judge of
whether or not the money had been won, then look out.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/5000-for-proving-the-earth-is-a-globe/

Posted by: It's A Lie ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 12:58PM

You can't use one work of fiction to prove another work of fiction false. It just doesn't work that way.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 01:26PM

My thought exactly!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 02:21PM

Ditto !!!!!

Posted by: hollensnopper ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 12:59PM

Tell him you would be glad to bet the $5000 using only the BoM and google.

Easy money

Date: May 02, 2015 12:59PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKtNBNX3UIc

That's the link to the video.

follow the thread under my original comment: Becca anoniem

;-)

Posted by: anon666 ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 01:04PM

Why is the person with the money restricting you to using the bible only? Are they not interested in the other evidence?

Date: May 02, 2015 01:15PM

I'm afraid he's a bit of a fanatical nutcase....

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 01:12PM

The $5k is as real as the BoM, and both have the same payouts.

There. I didn't even need the bible to do it. Where do I collect my $5k?

Oh,...damn.

You can always throw out that for God to belittle the crucifixion of his only Son by means of a human prophet and "new rules" concerning interplanetary specifics (or whatever tickles you the most) would be God limiting the value of the crucifixion. Then nothing. Mr. $5k will busy himself for hours trying to figure out (argue) what you meant or fade into darkness.

Date: May 02, 2015 01:16PM

We need a 'like' button.. haha

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 02:12PM

and was nauseated when mommy dragged her toddler into the marital differences in prayer.

Because, in her words, "that's what married people do, right?"

Yes, and when they're completely dysfunctional, they betray that confidence by involving their innocent children in adult situations. Try to make sure the kids know whose "side" god is on.

It is one of the best videos depicting the type of familial moism abuse so often described on this board. "...pray for daddy.." because he's wrong. This video actually advocates the behavior.

Subtle, and sickening.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 01:15PM

Having never read either, $5K wouldn't be enough to get me to engage in serious study for the purpose of disproving one or the other. $1M, maybe....but I would still be hesitant because having to read both seems cruel and unusual punishment.

RB

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 01:16PM

It wold also be impossible to prove the BOM true. No matter what the sources were.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 01:17PM

I'll give you 10,000 if you can use Lord of the Rings to prove that Star Wars is True.

Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 01:22PM

Lol, you beat me to it

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 02:22PM

LOL. Me too.

I was going to suggest using the Snow White story to prove Cinderella story can't be true.

Date: May 02, 2015 01:21PM

That's like offering someone else $5k to prove Game of Thrones is fiction using only The Lord of the Rings books.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 01:22PM

I agree with the others, but something that was very suspicious was that the TRANSLATION of the Bible (a 1790's version?) AND the BoM BOTH contained the same corrections?

Date: May 02, 2015 01:23PM

Each Biblical proof text will earn me another $25,000.

Good grief.. talk about a nutcase.
I think I'll just let him stew from now on... lol!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 01:23PM

Using a book of myths, many of them proven false, to prove another book is a book of myths?

Seriously?

The fun part: even if you did it (which isn't really possible), you'd never get the $5K. Because the challenger would argue that you didn't "prove" anything.

Date: May 02, 2015 01:27PM

Ofcourse! :D

Date: May 02, 2015 01:32PM

Actually, if you use the KJV version, the only one mormons recognize, and can show that part from the CES letter that shows how words added by the translators were copied exactly out of the bible and put in the BoM, doesn't that prove that JS copied directly out of the bible?

I think any 3rd party would agree that proves the BoM isn't what it claims. Which proves fraud.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 01:36PM

Well, there's many examples, but if you only have to prove a few, here's 3...

1) BOM says Jesus was born in Jerusalem--Alma 7:10
2) BoM contains the same translation errors that were in the KJV of the Bible (1795 version); yet it is supposed to be the most perfect book translated. See CES letter.
3) Walls of Jerusalem were already destroyed and gone during Nephi's time, yet Nephi prophesies of their destruction.
https://www.lds.org/search?q=Walls+of+jerusalem&domains=scriptures&lang=eng

Date: May 02, 2015 01:53PM

Well, I'd say: Go for it. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKtNBNX3UIc

You can't miss him... mrBob.....

;-)

Posted by: jkjkjkjk ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 01:41PM

You can use the bible to prove the Book of Mormon plagiarized portions from a single version of a 1769 King James Bible including that version's translation notes. That should do it since the translator who put these notes in lived some 1400 years after the Book of Mormon was originally written.

All LDS land can come up with on this is no one reported seeing a KJB when Smith "translated" the Book of Mormon from his hat.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 02:20PM

How does one use a book of fiction to disprove another book of fiction?

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 02:23PM

We need a like button !!!!!!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 02:23PM

Ask this person to mortgage his farm, so you can finance your work.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 02:29PM

Nobody's yet mentioned that when you DO show, from the bible, that the BoM is a fraud, your betting friend will simply say: "Well, the bible wasn't translated correctly there or it was corrupted by...you know...corrupt people.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 02:37PM

Aren't there instances where the JST differs from the BOM? If JS is a prophet, the JST is "right" and the BOM is "wrong." If the BOM is "right" and the JST is "wrong" then JS wasn't a prophet.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 02:52PM

How did Nephi with a few men on a new continent build a temple like Solomon's while Solomon needed 163,300 workmen and seven years to build his temple? (1 Kings 5:13-18 and 2 Nephi 5:15-17).

How do you explain the fact that 2 Nephi 16:2 is copied from an older version of the KJV of the Bible in Isa 6:2? This is proven because this older KJV (the mistake is corrected in current versions) made a rare grammatical error by using the incorrect plural form of "seraphims" rather than "seraphim".

Why is the Passover mentioned 71 times in the Bible, but -0- times in the Book of Mormon?

How did Book of Mormon characters get the priesthood when they weren't from the tribe of Levi?

Why does the Book of Mormon always follow KJV errors?

Why do the words of Malachi 4:1 appear in 1 Nephi 22:15 over a hundred years before Malachi wrote them?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.