Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exldsdudeinslc ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 10:43PM

I've seen this book by Eckhart Tolle referenced many times on these boards and have had a friend or two recommend it. I finally got a copy and started reading it today, and just ~20 pgs in I'm kind of blown away at how accurate it is.

I have a feeling this book is especially relevant for ex-TBMs who, if they're anything like me, have a heightened sense of self-perception and self-analysis and as a result a lot of anxiety and mood swings, probably due to the high amount of judgment that's prevalent in TSCC and taught us all to be ashamed of ourselves.

I'm curious if anyone on this board has not only read it, but feel they've achieved a heightened sense of Being as it states in the book. Has anyone here gotten rid of anxiety, etc. through practicing the "mind gap" technique and getting rid of the inner (and mostly negative) voice?

I'm quite fascinated by this concept and want to explore further.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2015 10:44PM by exldsdudeinslc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 11:30PM

I haven't read any of his books but did catch one or two videos of him.

It seems to kick in for me when in nature fishing or just hiking/walking. It sometimes works when I am eating (I'm on a diet) so really need to be "in the moment" to enjoy what little food I eat.

I don't know if he teaches this but I really enjoy taking a 'mind vacation' which is very similar, when riding as a passenger for a long distance or just bored. This really made a long trip somewhat enjoyable as I was in a hot tub letting the jets massage my body, swimming in a cool pool in hot weather, visiting beautiful locations, etc. versus in the car riding as a passenger for over 10 hours. The ability to visualize is really important here and may take some practice time to develop/improve.

It seems to work for me ------ if it works for you use it if not let it go!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2015 11:33PM by spiritist.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 11:31PM

I read it when it first came out. I'll try any "in book".

No it didn't change me in the least, I just felt a hightened

sense of being watchful of my own anxieties.....

I'm back to being as neurotic and anxious as I ever was.

Over time, I've just gotten more relaxed and accepting of

who I am. Leaving the church made me much happier and way

more relaxed about life than any book could ever do.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.