Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 12:21AM

that someone from the church would track you down?

I know I was. I didn't know who or how, but I was very fearful of that. I tiptoed onto this board hoping there wasn't anyone I knew from church that would be tracking me.

I've gotten over that. NOw I could care less. In fact I hope someone is reading every post on the board that anyone might make. They may find out something they weren't anticipating. You know, like, the truth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 12:32AM

While living in the center of Mordor, spitting distance from Mount Doom, I tried to register using Tor, but it was blocked.

At this point, the attention would be unwelcome, but it wouldn't really matter if the SCMC figured out who I am. Nothing they can do but annoy me.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 12:33AM

Just found RFM about a year ago, where I actually created an account, with a nickname and a password.

I've been out of the church for 17+ years and could care less if I was tracked by anyone who might have known who I am or had access to records.

I just don't care :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 12:34AM by memikeyounot.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 02:51PM

Likewise I found this site just a year ago and I too have bee out for almost twenty years. I could care less about anyone checking up on my status.

Posted by: superman4691 ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 12:34AM

My question to a faithful ward member tracking me down on this board would be, What are you doing reading "anti" stuff?
Aren't you suppose to be reading your scriptures, or adding another 5 inches to your daughter's skirt, or preparing your lesson for EQ or something?

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 12:39AM

Yes, still am careful. Worry that my neighbors will figure out it's me and learn what things about what they do bother me the most, and then conduct a focused assault.

As it stands, I can throw them off course by pretending to be upset about the things that actually bother me the least, and then that's where they focus their attention, thereby not really bothering me at all (or at least not as much.)

I don't want them figuring out the things that actually do get to me. Make sense? (In a paranoid sort of way?)

I'm just basing this on what I've gleened from their methods and past behavior.

Not afraid, just wary.

Posted by: evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 01:28AM

Yes. I was terrified just lurking.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 01:43PM

...yeah, me too. I wet myself with fear that someone would recognize me for the ass I am.

Life is good.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 01:28AM

I just KNEW that "they" were going to track me down. And at that time, DH and I were both active, as well as all of our kids.

But what I learned here gave me strength. The material I read gave me knowledge. And I finally got fed up enough with the BS that I resigned.

THEN, I knew I was safe. "They" couldn't get me any more. And I was no longer afraid to say "no," either on the phone or of "they" appeared on my front porch.

I think going through this fear in the very early stages of finding your way out is perfectly normal. You gradually come to realize that YOU - and not THEY - have "the power."

Posted by: Anon70 ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 02:29AM

Yes-which is why I rarely post or comment. I start and then I think-could someone figure out this is me??!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 09:40AM

I've never been worried in the least. The only person who may be interested in what I post is my TBM daughter. She HATES that I post and read here.

Now, coming out of the closet about my gay husband. That was FEAR. I was silent for so long about everything that happened to me over this issue that posting here has been very therapeutic for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 09:45AM by cl2.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 10:53AM

At first I posted under my middle name and was a bit concerned I'd be "found out". But then I realized that after 45+ years of inactivity and there being no real downside if I posted using my real name other than the possibility of having to get a new doctor, dentist and pharmacist (all TBM's and two bishops among them) I had nothing to fear. So I took the plunge. No worries so far.

Ron Burr

Posted by: cwm31s ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 11:05AM

I was slightly worried in the beginning that the church would try to trace my IP address and try to solve the riddle of usernames when I joined this site a few years ago. But to me I don't feel worried in the least. This to me is a safe haven. I love posting here and sharing my observations and experiences.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 11:19AM

It's been four and a half years since I resigned the church, and several more since I last attended a sacrament meeting, and at first, before I even discovered this forum, I was afraid of the church finding me (something that had happened before I sent in my resignation--I moved across the country and my parents, I think, gave them my new address and phone number). Now, I'm at the point where I don't care what they do. My immediate family all know I've left, my extended family doesn't but I'm not in regular contact with any of them anyway, and there's really nothing the church with its pretend authority can do to me.

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 11:24AM

How are they able to track you unless you are using your real name? Are they on here with IP trackers?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 11:33AM

Anyone who gives out info on where they live, where they work, how many kids they have, ward member particulars and such might be tracked.

Date: May 06, 2015 11:37AM

Ahhh, that would be why I don't give out my info.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 02:21PM

I'm not sure how closely they track. I've given out more than enough clues for the COB or SCMC to identify me.

I've disclosed:
- Where I served my mission, and the exact month I entered;
- The ward I went out from and returned to; and
- The ward I would be currently attending, if I were interested.

Two or three phone calls to the Missionary and Membership Depts could grab my name. So far, nothing. Maybe I'll start signing my initials.

Date: May 06, 2015 02:25PM

They be bored lurking and trying find non believers in these boards. So much for free agency

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 11:33AM

Yes, mostly that my TBM family would figure it out and they'd be hurt. The Boner.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 11:39AM

My brother works at the COB. 'nuff said.

Even though he's not in IT, I'm still a little paranoid at times that I'll get a phone call, but on the other hand, if I do, I'll be forced to finally open up on him.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 11:41AM

I've been out for a long time, but I had concerns about joining both RfM and Facebook because of a stalker and a psycho junkie ex. Those who've been around for some time know what I'm referring to- And when I joined FB, the stalker did try to contact me, multiple times.

It's creepy and unnerving that a person or an organization will track you down and harass you.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 11:44AM

I felt naughty lurking at Salamander Society first.

I kept seeing all the links for Recovery from Mormonism. I finally clicked and felt Really naughty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 11:45AM by rutabaga.

Date: May 06, 2015 12:39PM

To expand on the post I made earlier in the thread, it’s not any idea that someone is using sophisticated electronic surveillance and is going to connect you by IP address or the like just by posting here. It’s more the idea of outing yourself by giving details that would positively identify you to someone who knew you and your situation. That, combined with divulging personal information that could be used against you to sully your reputation or harass or embarrass you, is the sort of thing I try and be careful about.

That’s why I’ve resisted any requests to post a detailed novel about my adventures with my harassing neighbors. I’ve spread tid-bits about it here and there, and sometimes alter what would be a highly unique detail when I do, in order to relay an activity while obfuscating some specific details just to get the point across. But to give a synopsis of exact and highly unique activities by them could allow them to say, ‘Aha, that’s that guy, and he’s talking about us, I know it!’ Then they could take other info I post here and find a way to use it against me, since they’ve proven themselves to be vindictive and to act quite outside of the law already. I just don’t want to provoke them, or give them any personal insights into me.

So it’s not about some sort of big brother surveillance trap, it’s about the information I share and how I share it. I just try to be cautious about being identified, that’s all. I’ve never said where I live, that’s for sure. That would narrow things down considerably.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 01:31PM

Meh.

I have posted enough information here that anyone who personally knows me even a little could guess my identity and be correct.

So, why am I still "moose"?

It's my nickname. I've been stuck with it for over half a century.

Posted by: adamisfree2006 ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 01:39PM

I really don't care if people figure out that I am middle-aged, slightly overweight guy who is happily married with 4 great kids and loves the band Rush!

BTW, did I mention that Rush opens their R40 tour Friday in Tulsa? Let's see if any of my Rush exmo friends bite...

Cheers, Adam

Date: May 06, 2015 01:42PM

Rush was one of my fav bands growing up, with 'the professor' on the drum kit.

My band covers 'Limelight' and 'Tom Sawyer.' The crowd always loves 'The Rush' as we call it.

Posted by: adamisfree2006 ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 01:59PM

Cool. I have met up with a fellow RfM poster who came from TX to see a Rush cover band in Chicago. There are a couple of hardcore exmo Rush fans on here. I will be seeing some of them them at the Austin TX and Las Vegas shows. They still have a cult following after 40+ years. I will miss them when they fade off into the limelight...

Cheers, Adam

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 06:42PM

adamisfree2006 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I really don't care if people figure out that I am
> middle-aged, slightly overweight guy who is
> happily married with 4 great kids and loves the
> band Rush!

Make that 5 kids and you would be describing my husband :)
We will be seeing them in Phoenix in July for our wedding anniversary!

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 03:21PM

No, more concerned with the (few) crazies that were regular posters tracking me down that a religious corporation.

I know the LDS church never threatened to tear off my head and spit down my throat. That was a poster from the board. The LDS church never called me a liar for disclosing I was sexually assaulted in the SLC temple, it was a regular poster on this board. The LDS church never plagiarized any of my writings, that also, a regular poster on this board. Nor did the LDS church ever attack me personally for telling some of my friends that we had a sexual predator in our midst, that would be many regular posters.

So yeah, Steve is not my real name. Nor were any of my other screen names.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 06:27PM

Many years ago, I posted under the moniker Moroni's Wings. I got to like the place so much, I just came out and used my real name.

There's never been any risk of me losing any more than the nothing that my narcissistic father has always given me.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 07:08PM

I was a bit worried about my ex-husband more than anyone, as I'd blocked him on my e-mail, and when I joined Facebook, he was the first person I blocked. As far as the church, I wasn't concerned since I was a hormonal convert, and like most US converts since the internet became widespread, I didn't stay in for very long.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.