Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 05:25PM

Talk about a rough day!

"Two Mormon [female] missionaries were robbed at gunpoint Saturday in the 2300 block of Winston Way, according to an incident report.

"The [robber] fled with the purses, whose contents included a Bible, camera, cell phone, cigarette case, Book of Mormon and driver's licenses, the report said."

http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news/2011-04-03/missionaries-robbed-gunpoint

Care to offer any helpful excuses to explain away the possible Word of Wisdom anomaly? (Oh, and do you think they'll try for a follow-up appointment with this "investigator?")

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2011 05:30PM by Fetal Deity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 05:28PM

Sister missionaries are easy pickings. Just another reason why my daughters will NEVER go on missions. And why are these young ladies smoking?

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 05:41PM

It is obvious that the cigarette case was a treasured momento from a grandparent used a reminder to never break the WoW.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 05:43PM

Posted by: beeblequix ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 05:45PM

I'm sure they'll say something like:
"It wasn't my cigarette case I was *holding* it for somebody".

(seriously, I don't believe they were smoking, and it's sad that they were robbed).

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 06:08PM

beeblequix Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm sure they'll say something like:
> "It wasn't my cigarette case I was *holding* it
> for somebody".
>

Oh, I guess it was Sister Paris Hilton who got held up.

;)

Date: April 04, 2011 06:45PM

But now that this incident is a matter of public record, it seems like a lot of non-Mormons are going to be confused about Mormon standards!

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 05:48PM

Sister misshies look like they are terrified of everything so ofcorse they are easy pickings.

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 07:04PM

"The Augusta Chronicle reports that the man fled with their purses, which included a Book of Mormon, a Bible, camera, cell phone, and driver's licenses."

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=15010347

Date: April 04, 2011 07:32PM

It's ALMOST humorous that the Mormon church-channel's website would try to COVER UP that fact. There is probably an innocuous explanation as to why one of the Sister Missionaries' purses contained a cigarette case ... but I guess that bit of information would be WAY TOO DIFFICULT to process for the demographic being reported to in this case!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2011 07:33PM by Fetal Deity.

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 07:06PM

I had a wallet once that was hard and shaped like a cigarette case. Just saying maybe it was one of those aluma-wallets type things.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 07:11PM

I know a lot of non-smokers who throw cigarette cases in their purses, filled with all sorts of small "emergency" things like various medicines and things. I guess it's easier than toting around a bunch of bottles? I personally use an advil bottle to carry around all the meds I might need (allergy, headache, etc), but I know women who like to get antique cigarette cases, or cute ones from archie mcphee (or similar store). They might have had the cases for that reason.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 07:23PM

I think its unusual they would explain the contents of the purse. How often does THAT happen? Hm.

Posted by: Quoth thr Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 07:42PM

It was the guy they were harassing about baptism who robbed them. During the talk when he realized these were two of the most clueless white chicks he has ever met, he whipped out a gun and demanded their purses.

This shouldn't be funny.....but it is. I am glad these clueless young women were not hurt but really how many people have wished they could pull guns on Mormon missionaries? !?

Posted by: glad2bout ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 07:29PM

The sisters were merely following the example set by their priesthood brethren by going through the purse of an investigator when she went to the kitchen to get lemonade for the sisters. Finding the cigarette case, they confiscated it for the salvation of their prey as their next lesson was going to be the wow of WoW's. It's another faith building story, I'm sure.

Glad2B Out

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 09:31PM

Credit cards?

Date: April 04, 2011 11:48PM

I would bet that many missionaries feel it necessary to supplement their meager allowance with a little "plastic." (Actually, when I first read the story, the "credit cards" didn't even occur to me as being significant, but I think you're right to point that detail out!)

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 11:56PM

Buy a plane ticket home and sit in the smoking section.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 09:51AM

Cig case to hide birth control pills.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 10:18AM

Business card holder. End of story.

Ron

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 11:04AM

Some cases are large enough to hold pass along cards.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 12:08PM

Are we witnessing the birth of a new Mormon Faith-Affirming Story?

"Police later found the purse and all of its contents intact on the sidewalk. Only the Book of Mormon was gone - the thief obviously recognizing it as the most valuable item taken from the missionaries."

bletch ...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.