Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: May 07, 2015 04:17PM

The 'toon:

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/d3e8e8ffb2963b7376180b1cc1588ccc8c099dff/c=0-127-3573-2813&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2015/05/07/Phoenix/Phoenix/635665965297488778-bensonCOLOR--Pat-Commode-05-07-15.jpg

In response, I got an email of complaint from a reader who declared:

"The credibility of the referees who touched the Patriots footballs as much as the center and Brady, are in my opinion, just as culpable."

My reply:

"Blaming the refs is waaaaaaaay too easy and far too predictable.

"Bottom line and central point: Brady is at the dark heart of this scandal. I wrote the following for today’s edition. It’s got all the details that you need to reach a more fact-based opinion, in my opinion."

(That piece follows).
_____

"New England Patriots Flushed Out as Cheaters:
Brady and 'Friends' Were Officially Caught Deflating Balls. Now for Some Penalties to Deflate Their Egos"

by Steve Benson,
The Arizona Republic, azcentral.com
7 May 2015

http://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/steve-benson/2015/05/07/low-life-pats-get-kicked-through-the-uprights/70943144/

101 days later and the NFL has finally thrown the flag.

A big one.

In an exhaustive and devastating 243-page investigatory report, the league concluded that in pulling off their Super Stolen "victory" over the Indianapolis Colts, the New England Patriots had engaged in certain "inappropriate activities."

Those activities had to do with the intentional deflation of footballs in violation of the NFL's Playing Rules — all done with the intent, at all costs, of gaining an unfair advantage over their opponent by making the balls easier to grip. throw and catch.

The NFL's official rules on game-day footballs read as follows:

"The ball shall . . . [be] inflated [to] 12 and-a-half to 13-and-a-half pounds . . . . The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications. A pump is to be furnished by the home club, and the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game . . . ."

That Rat Pats' QB, Tom Brady, apparently didn't get the memo. 11 of the 12 balls used by the team in their "win" over the Colts were two-pounds-per-square inch under the league's inflation requirement.

Now the verdict has come in — and Choir Boy Brady has come out smelling like a . . . locker room.

A self-proclaimed icon of integrity, shady Brady refused to hand over to NFL investigators any of his emails, texts or phone records relating to the inquiry. That unsportsmanlike conduct — while irritating — did not prevent the NFL's investigators from doing their duty, as the report explains:

"Brady's refusal to provide us with his own emails, text messages and phone records on relevant topics, in response to our narrowly tailored requests, limited the evidence available for our review and analysis. We believe that our findings are nevertheless supported by the evidence and information available to us during the course of our work."

Even though Brady wouldn't audiblize at the line, his fellow Pat employees sure did. The evidence amassed in the report is damning, with key elements provided by transcripts of text messages between the Pats' 32-year seasonal employee/locker room attendant Jim McNally and team equipment assistant John Jastremski. Those texts show that:

(1) Neither of them much cared for Brady.

(2) They cared enough, however, to deflate footballs according to Brady's specifications as long as they were rewarded for their hard work in helping him cheat.

Here's some of their color commentary:

-A text from Jastremski telling McNally: "Can't wait to give you your needle this week :)"(used for letting air out of the footballs).

-A McNally text to Jastremski about the expectation of "cash" (self-explanatory) and "New Kicks" (sneakers) as payment for services rendered. McNally adds that if those goodies weren't forthcoming, it would mean Brady getting "a rugby Sunday" (an over-inflated ball).

-As icing on the cake of his own execution, McNally — in a text sent to Jastremski before the season kicked off —refers to himself as "The Deflator":

" . . . Jimmy needs some Kicks….Let's make a deal….Come on, help The Deflator." That text is followed a few minutes later by another to Jastremski: "Chill, buddy. I'm just (expletive) with you….I'm not going to ESPN……..yet."

— Into the season, McNally angrily texts Jastremski that "the only thing deflating Sunday [in the Pats' upcoming game against the Chicago Bears] . . . is [Brady's] passing rating." (McNally was wrong: Brady threw for 354 yards, completing 30 out of 35 passes for five touchdowns).

This from McNally? McNally who? Brady claimed to the NFL's lead investigator, Ted Wells, that he didn't know McNally's name or what he did when it came to pre-game prep.

Liar, liar, Pats on fire.

Jastremeski blew the whistle on Brady, telling investigators that he (Jastremeski) served as intermediary for Brady and McNally. Willing to pile on, McNally told NFL Security that Brady had informed him (McNally) of the PSI level that Brady wanted his balls to be at.

But it gets better.

The day after the Pats' horse-whipping of the Colts, Brady did something he hadn't done in his two decade-plus stint with New England, as reported by "CBS Boston":

" . . . Brady requested Jastremski come to the QB room—essentially Brady's office at [Boston's] Gillette [Stadium]—for the first time in his 20-plus year career with the team. Jastremski told Wells that meeting lasted just a few minutes, with Brady praising and thanking him for his preparation of the footballs for the AFC Championship game. Jastremski said the two did not discuss anything Deflategate."

Little did Jastremski know that the chatter that would matter would be his own with McNally. While the NFL's investigation absolved the Pats' owner, head coach and head equipment manager of "any wrongdoing or knowledge of wrongdoing," Wells' teamhad more than enough to sack Brady, summed up as follows:

"For the reasons described in this Report, and after a comprehensive investigation, we have concluded that, in connection with the AFC Championship Game, it is more probable than not that New England Patriots personnel participated in violations of the Playing Rules and were involved in a deliberate effort to circumvent the rules. In particular, we have concluded that it is more probable than not that Jim McNally . . . and John Jastremski . . . participated in a deliberate effort to release air from Patriots game balls after the balls were examined by the referee. Based on the evidence, it also is our view that it is more probable than not that Tom Brady . . . was at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities of McNally and Jastremski involving the release of air from Patriots game balls."

It's also more probable than not that Boston's Brady Boy has forever lost his fake-faced Boy Scout image: From here on out, he'll just be one of the not-so-good ol' boys.

The next step: The NFL will be considering how to discipline Brady, McNally and Jastremski. As the league enters that phase, USA Today's Chris Chase, in his article, "Tom Brady Cheated His Way to a Super Bowl," paints a picture of an unapologetic, unprincipled, and, yes, unpatriotic scandal perpetrated by the Pats:

"[While] the report didn't reveal some massive Watergate-style cover-up, [it] told us what we generally expected: Some assistant managers were messing around with the football, likely at the behest of Tom Brady. It's not cause for a football death penalty, but it's still cheating and shows the Pats haven't learned a thing in the decade since their dalliance with illegal videotaping of teams . . . . Once a cheater, always a cheater."

Time out on the field. You review the play. You play the ref. You make the call. Possible penalties include:

— Suspending Brady

— Firing Jastremski and McNally

— Denying the Pats late-round draft picks

— Hitting them with a significant fine

— Taking away their undeserved Super Bowl rings

—At least calling them the losers that they are

OK, ref. You've looked at the replay. What do you think?
_____

Reference links:

-"NFL Rule Book": http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/ball

-"Heavy": “NFL Rules & Policy for Inflating & Deflating Game Balls” http://heavy.com/sports/2015/01/rules-policy-deflated-balls-reason-patriots-air-pressure/

-"ESPN": “11 of 12 Pats footballs underinflated” http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id/12202450/nfl-says-new-england-patriots-had-inflated-footballs-afc-championship-game

-"USA Today": “Deflategate investigation report: Patriots' Tom Brady 'generally aware'“ http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2015/05/06/deflategate-bill-belichick-tom-brady-underinflated-balls-robert-kraft-new-england-colts/22216585/

-"NESN": “New England Patriots Schedule Standings Stats Roster Video Live Blog Odds Tom Brady Wouldn’t Give DeflateGate-Related Emails, Texts To Investigators” http://nesn.com/2015/05/wells-report-tom-brady-refused-to-provide-deflategate-related-emails-texts/

-"azcentral": “Patriots employee trashes Tom Brady in text messages” http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/heat-index/2015/05/06/patriots-employee-trashes-tom-brady-in-text-messages/70892094/

-"Comcast Sportsnet": “Tanguay: How did it come to this for Tom Brady?” http://www.csnne.com/article/tanguay-how-did-it-come-tom-brady

-"GOGOKICKS": “New Kicks Brands” http://www.gogokicks.com/new_products.php

-"NBC Bay Area News": “The Tom Brady Scandal: Revealing Texts From ‘The Deflator’” http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Locker-Room-Staff-NFL-Deflatgate-Text-Messages-Tom-Brady-302798731.html

-"CBS Boston": “Patriots Employee Jim McNally Calls Self ‘Deflator’ In Texts, Appears To Not Like Tom Brady” http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/05/06/patriots-employee-jim-mcnally-calls-self-deflator-in-texts-appears-to-not-like-tom-brady/

-"Comcast Sportsnet": “Wells: 'More probable than not' Pats deflated balls” http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/wells-more-probable-not-pats-deflated-balls

-"CBS Boston": “Report: NFL To Consider Disciplining Tom Brady After DeflateGate Report” http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/05/06/report-nfl-to-consider-disciplining-tom-brady-after-deflategate-report/

-"Forbes": “What Kind Of Discipline May The Patriots And Tom Brady Face Over Deflate-Gate?” http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2015/05/06/what-kind-of-discipline-may-the-patriots-and-tom-brady-might-face-over-deflate-gate/

-"The Wells Report": in its entirety, https://www.scribd.com/doc/264430629/Ted-Wells-Report

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2015 04:18PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moose ( )
Date: May 07, 2015 04:39PM

Posted by: amyslittlesister ( )
Date: May 07, 2015 06:32PM

Hey. No politics . . . :)

Date: May 07, 2015 06:36PM

. . . at least as demonstrated in the present moment by mythical Patriot super heroes--which some Bleaters for Brady here seem to think is outside the realm of acceptable commentary as it amounts to defiling their deities sitting upon their thrones in their heavenly-inflated Holy of Holies.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2015 07:14PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 07, 2015 07:01PM

Steve, if this im-poster ain't a Cougar fan then my money's on a Penn State die hard.

Date: May 07, 2015 07:02PM

. . . in the midst of going ape-poohpooh in his Mormon-like devotion to his Brother Brady Messiah.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2015 07:05PM by steve benson.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 07, 2015 07:13PM

With deflated balls, 1st Half: Patriots score 17, Colts score 7
With inflated balls, 2nd Half: Patriots score 28, Colts score nada

The Colts lost because they were the inferior team.

But if people want to rant, hey, go for it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2015 11:37PM by tevai.

Date: May 07, 2015 07:19PM

It doesn't matter if the Colts were the inferior team.

Cheating is cheating, per the express Playing Rules of the NFL provided to all the league's franchises.

Trying to blow off "Deflategate" with a "so-what?" because the Colts would have lost the game anyway is beside the point and altogther ignores the larger issue.

Let me keep this simple.

It's like the kid in school who's caught cheating on an exam and who then, in his defense, tells the teacher:

"I was going to pass the test anyway. I just cheated because it made it easier, but I was going to pass. In fact, I was going to get a better grade on the test than anyone else because I was better than everyone else in class. So, me cheating on the test didn't matter, didn't change the end result. Get over it, teech. Screw the rules. Gimme the Top-in-Class grade that I deserve."

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2015 07:22PM by steve benson.

Date: May 07, 2015 07:35PM

Hooray for the NFL!

Finally a scandal that does not involve domestic violence, a murder, maiming of opposing players, gambling, abuse of animals...

I have fun asking coworkers if they can name the Red Sox' starting rotation. They can usually get at least a few of the pitchers, maybe all. Then I ask them who their state representative is.

*deer in the headlights* look!

Date: May 07, 2015 07:38PM

. . . then the same goes when the LDS Church attempts to score points by lying about the Book of Mormon.

Cheating is cheating.

Catch the culprits. Hold them accountable. Expose the lying. Punish as necessary.

(And nice try at diversion. but I've done cartoons on other aspects of egregious NFL behavior, failure to account and inadequate response--particularly on DV and animal abuse).

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2015 04:03AM by steve benson.

Date: May 08, 2015 08:41PM

I give up. You're right. Nothing's on the level. I'm going back to professional wrestling for my sports entertainment.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 07, 2015 07:17PM

Credibility gone to pot. I'll never watch another NFL game without wondering.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 07, 2015 08:11PM

I just feel bad for all the kids that looked up to this guy.

I guess he never thought of that or else never thought he'd

get caught.

Posted by: lr2014 ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 02:42AM

I'm still laughing at the little can of air freshener Steve put in the cartoon.

Date: May 08, 2015 03:48AM

. . . similarly placed. (TMI?)

:)

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 02:46PM

The Patriots are the one true and living Superbowl Champs to some people (not me). You are mocking what is sacred to them. YOu can almost hear it: "There is no coach but Belichick and Brady is His quarterback."

Hopefully the Pats fans don't come down on cartoonists as badly as the religious wing-nuts.

Keep the wonderful blasphemy coming!

Date: May 08, 2015 08:43PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.