Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 12:00PM

My wife and I are at a stage where we feel we are out of the Morg. We have obviously kept quiet about it. My teens are the reason we started doing our own research. They thought we would disown them if they didn't want to go on missions or get married at 20 years old to repopulate the earth.

Valid concerns based off the brainwashing and culture around here. I was actually relieved they told us instead making themselves miserable. I have never been devout and have always questioned the whole, if you don't go to church, do your calling, home teach etc. etc you will never get to the CK. Wife and I started researching how our kids did. Shocked and disappointed by what we have found. Also quite awakening at the same time. Everyone has been excited for my daughter's upcoming baptism when she turns 8. We're concerned that her life might be made hell thanks to the culture around here.

I don't think we should. But she was/is looking forward to it. I have not been taking her to church to get it out of her head. I am more worried about some of the extended family blasting her with the idea of it when and if we don't. Can't stand the brain washing.

So do we fake it just to keep the crap down or not? I have no problem telling people to shove it up their ass. The wife is more subtle however.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2015 12:01PM by shodanrob.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 12:09PM

No.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 09:01PM

No x 100.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 12:17PM

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 12:37PM

I would say HECK NO. My daughter will be turning 8 soon and I will absolutely NOT ALLOW her to baptized into a cult. Stand up for your family and your daughter.

Explain to her that if she wants to get baptized, she is able to do so an adult.

That's my opinion.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 01:34PM

rubi123 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Explain to her that if she wants to get baptized,
> she is able to do so an adult.
>
This ^^^^^^^^

Posted by: GodLedMeOut ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 12:38PM

Please stand on your hind legs here!

Perpetuating this nonsense will eventually make your child lose faith in EVERYTHING!!! (Including you!)

Date: May 11, 2015 12:39PM

Thanks for the input. Pretty much what I thought. Now I just have to inform the SIL she is not to push it when she visits her cousin to play. She is there to play not be brainwashed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2015 12:40PM by shodanrob.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 12:43PM

We were inactive or on our way out when they turned 8. We did it so that family wouldn't have to be told--especially his. My ex is gay (and I knew when we married) and he had just told me he was cheating. Not like we were going to announce that to whole family. He was also ex. sec. at the time and I wouldn't allow him to go to church leaders again. It was hell before we married.

So--they were baptized. Now my daughter is TBM (they are 29) and her brother is exactly opposite of TBM. My therapist even says they work at looking light and dark, and they do. My son is goth and dyes his hair colors or black, though it is brown right now. My daughter is BLONDE, not dyed. My daughter thinks that even if her dad wasn't worthy, the baptism stands. My son feels it doesn't.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 12:53PM

No.

Posted by: almost ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 01:36PM

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 01:42PM

Sure, go ahead and do it... and then you'll have her wanting to go to all the activities and being encouraged to do things and go places behind your backs... and taught that you, her parents, are unworthy and probably evil, and that she does not have to do what you say. Not only that but she'll be taught to be subservient to some "priesthood" punk.

[Edited due to visits from the Typo Monster]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2015 02:05PM by Doxi.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 02:16PM

almost Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

Sure, because at 8 years old you have the intellectual maturity to research all the facts, make an intelligent decision, and understand all of the implications of that decision.

Oh, wait...

No, you shouldn't.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 02:00PM

Talk to her about how she'd rather spend her birthday. Going to a fancy restaurant lunch in a new dress and corsage? Touring a museum? Lagoon? A swimming party and sleepover? Bar-B-Q? Fancy cake, balloons, and her favorite menu? Special gift she's always wanted? A spa for girls her age?

There's not much fun sitting in a church with boring talks and being drenched in a pool where there's no splashing, giggling, and swimming allowed.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 02:21PM

I'd say this is a good time to make a complete break and tell you daughter that you aren't members of that church anymore so she doesn't need to be baptized. Instead, still mark the 8th birthday as a milestone and do something special to celebrate it.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 07:33PM

That is a very good plan and make it a lovely, memorable birthday. I think some Mormons when they decide to exit the church permit the kids to carry on with ward activities. Problem is that within a few years of eight they may be so hooked into the peer group they become TBM teens. You know the ward will love bomb will make her feel special and sympathize with her for having apostate parents. Give it a decade and you and your spouse will be waiting outside the temple for her 19 year old daughter to get married.

Better to cut it off now and help her and her siblings make nonmormon peer groups.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 02:22PM

Don't even go down that road.

Stay clean and pure, free of the destructive effects of mormonism.

Date: May 11, 2015 03:19PM

Appreciate all the feedback. Pretty much where I was going. Extended family will just have to cope with the loss of a few sheep.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 03:57PM

To answer your question, I would have to ask if he is circumsized. If he is, my response would be, "Haven't you harmed him enough?" If the answer is in the negative, my response would be, "If you are going to mutilate him emotionally, why not whack off the end of his penis as well?"

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 04:03PM

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 04:10PM

If you want every last creepy Mormon of any age or gender to feel entitled to drag your child to every single ridiculous event remotely related to church, go ahead. I know what I'm writing about (former step-mom where random strangers/Mormons would show up unannounced to take minor children (8 and 10 year old girls) with them to some activity I had no knowledge of). They would talk to the girls at the door, without speaking to me... or CALL THEM ON THEIR CELL PHONES...

Don't do it, it is a PANDORA'S BOX of never ending harassment.

Posted by: anontoday ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 04:22PM

No. No. No. What do you think your daughter would say looking back on this at about age 20 when she realizes that TSCC is complete BS? I don't think that she would likely be ok with being baptized out of convenience or to keep the peace, when her own parents see it for the fraud that it is.

My son was supposed to be baptized around the time that we left. I sat him down and explained to him, in an age appropriate way, the truth about Mormonism. He was very receptive and never asked to be baptized again. I think that your daughter could learn many valuable life lessons here. Honesty, doing what is right for her not what the majority thinks she should do, integrity, not supporting corrupt organizations, not worrying about what other people think, etc.

Good luck with your decision!

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 04:31PM

No

Posted by: Clementine ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 04:45PM

No. Your life, your children. Unless someone else is raising them. I think you are crazy for even contemplating it.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 04:51PM

Why would you saddle him with a future ob being harassed by mormons? He would have to go through all their stupid hoops in order to be left alone. Spare him that garbage.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 07:41PM

Think about it. You don't want to baptize you own child into something you know to be a lie and harmful in many ways.

Yet to remain comfortable you are willing to sacrifice him to the LDS corporation to remain so.

Where exactly is the integrity in that?

What was that little couplet? As for me and my house.........

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 07:52PM

No. Do not send him down that path.

RB

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 08:14PM

Take him to a church where they sprinkle a few drops and tell the family you baptized him/her. And NO LDS record to make problems later.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 08:33PM

It's not like other Christian churches where you could baptize your child and be done with it. The Mormons will follow that baptismal record for years. It's time to cut the cord. Plan an especially fun birthday for your daughter.

Posted by: Calico ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 08:43PM

Your child, don't let others tell you what to do or let them get away with playing dirty (people going behind your back to influence your child)

Have a fun birthday party, a day at the beach or waterpark, make it a special day for her. Don't allow her to get on the list of such a controlling organization.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 09:17PM

No.

There are lots of non-mo's / inactive-mo / ex-mo kids at Utah schools. The culture won't shun her here.

I'm ex-Mo in my community, one that on paper is one of the strongest in Utah. It's not a problem.

If you're worried about disappointing in-laws, then you'll *constantly* be worrying. You'll worry how they perceive your inactivity, or your children not serving missions, or not going to the temple, or not going to church with them on Sundays.

Ignore their feelings and suppress the guilt. Define boundaries and move on with your lives.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.