Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pathway ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 12:50PM

The Pew Research Center released a survey on "America's Changing Religious Landscape" detailing changes in the US from 2007 to 2014.

Link: http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/americas-changing-religious-landscape/

The stats just for Mormons in that survey were put on a blog. Here is the link to that:

Link:http://brucefey.blogspot.com/2015/05/extract-of-mormon-statistics-from-pews.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pathway ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 01:32PM

One interesting stat from the survey. The percentage of US Mormons that are black declined from 3% to 1% in just 7 years.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 04:32PM

Am I the only one to find the 3% American LDS as Black to be very hard to believe?

And since general US growth is stagnant, the drop in total percentage Blacks would mean either a lot of Black LDS died, or they all walked away and the numbers were actually reported.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2015 04:34PM by hello.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 08:43PM

You're not the only one who thought 3% was a bit high for Black LDS numbers at first, since I really don't get how someone of that ethnicity could be a Mormon after the racist past. While the penishood ban was lifted in 1978, there is still a minority of TBM's who still have racist attitudes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2015 08:43PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 06:50AM

I know quite a few Mormon families who have adopted black children. They're getting counted before they grow up and figure it out.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 01:38PM

I thought the unchanged Midwest migrations interesting.

Missouri is still the Mormon backwater it has always been. Shoal Creek is no City Creek and Jesus and Father Adam ain't coming anytime soon to these here parts.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 04:38PM

I thought someone said that Mormons were flocking to the upper midwest to fracking jobs??

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 06:34PM

I'd be interested to find out where. I live in Missouri and while there are some imports from Utah and other places, there is not a steady stream. And a lot of folks derive from people who in the early 20th Century migrated to The New Jerusalem before Zion became Heartsell.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 01:46PM

I can't believe that 1% of blacks are in such a RACIST cult! They must be masochists.
There has always been a certain percentage of the population who actually WANT to be where they are NOT wanted... go figure.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 02:27PM

verilyverily Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't believe that 1% of blacks are in such a
> RACIST cult! They must be masochists.
> There has always been a certain percentage of the
> population who actually WANT to be where they are
> NOT wanted... go figure.

Even after this?

http://www.blacklds.org/history

THIS?

http://www.ldsgenesisgroup.org/

Official web site of the Genesis Group, representing Black members their families and individuals interested in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Hmmm

This?

http://blacksinthescriptures.com/

And this?

http://en.fairmormon.org/Mormonism_and_racial_issues/Blacks_and_the_priesthood/Understanding_pre-1978_statements

John Dehlin - http://whymormonsleave.com/

http://www.themormondelusion.com/ -
... please be aware that this site promotes books on Mormonism for those interested in the truth behind Joseph Smith's hoax.
It is not suitable for faithful Mormons who wish to remain in their delusion. (You can lead people to evidence, but you can't make them think.) Jim Whitefield

Mormonism DOESN'T KNOW (but shows) TRUE COLORS.

Song on the radio right now - coincidence(?) - "True Colors"!

Mormonism's wish for their true color - GREY.

It should be black and white.

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 03:32PM

I think it's 1% of Mormons are black.

Posted by: Non-member ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 04:07PM

Minor correction: 1% of Mormons are black. A negligible percentage of blacks are Mormons.

Posted by: deepcreek ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 02:53PM

Get your laughing gear out and read the comments on SL Tribune article below.

http://www.sltrib.com/News

Within 20 minutes I had tear stains on my cheeks from the amusement my former church provides me.

It's been 9 years since we figured out the scam and for our mental and emotional health we live 1000 miles away from TBM family and friends.

Life is better outside the mindfuck of Mormonism and we can chuckle at the pickle the brethern find themselves hopelessly lost in as members leave in the US and other 1st world countries and their money stops flowing to LDS Inc.

Posted by: almostthere ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 03:06PM

The link didn't point to any article. Can you please re-post it? I want to laugh until tears come out of my eyes!

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 03:23PM

The Mormon moment seems to have been a bust. In 2008 and 2012, a prominent Mormon ran for President and won the GOP nomination in 2012. The LDS Church invested heavily in PR campaigns and made its own vanity motion picture.

During that time, Mormons slipped from 1.7% to 1.6% of the US population. Meanwhile, Muslims, Jews, Hindus and non-theists grew. There are now more Jews in America than Mormons. The number of Atheists nearly doubled and is nearly double Mormonism now.

How do religions that don't proselytize and don't have a lot of children, like Jews and Atheists, grow more than a church with big families and a huge missionary program?

Maybe Mormons would do better if they just left everyone else alone.

Ref: http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/americas-changing-religious-landscape/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2015 03:23PM by axeldc.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 10:30PM

Well, I'm helping. I went from Mormon to atheist in one day. I think it was the 14 year old that broke the camels back.. or was it the lamb that shot three people on the way to its slaughter?

Posted by: deepcreek ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 04:11PM

http://www.sltrib.com/News

Follow link and Click on article :

Christianity shrinking in US: Mormon numbers essentially flat.

931 comments

Posted by: ness ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 06:46PM

Marlin Jensen claims we are in an era of great apostasy.
Cook claims the church has never been stronger.
Pew Research center claims it's flat lined.

Which is it?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 10:20PM

"Cada quien habla de la feria segun le fue en ella."

--recent Mexican folk saying

(Wow! Google Translate butchered this!! The correct translation is "Each person talks about the fair according to how it was for him.")

Date: May 12, 2015 10:28PM

... at least they finally removed Liza Morong's "Hi, I'm a mormon!" profile from Mormon.org. I wonder if she had to nag them or if they just decided to do the right thing?

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 09:50PM

I'm an anomaly. 64 years old and left the church, even though my age demographic increased. I bet most of this particular increase was old ladies. Widows are vulnerable to missionaries, I guess. Or actually, it's just staunch TBMS aging into the group..Old people don'the change easily, unless they are me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2015 09:53PM by rationalist01.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 10:35PM

Good going, R.

If only more "wise" people would show their wisdom and hit the exit. The church is like a security blanket to those getting older.

Pat yourself on the back for the courage to call a horse a horse, not a tapir. =)

Posted by: evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 10:06PM

So what happened to the hastening of the work?

Is Gladys Knight still mormon?

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 10:28PM

These statistics are a bit warped and nonsensical:

"· Mormon Share of US Population from 2007 to 2014 from 1.7% to 1.6% Decline of 0.1%"

"RELIGIOUS COMPOSITION BY GENERATION
· 1% of US is made up of Mormons from the greatest generation (born before 1928)
· 2% of US is made up of Mormons from the Silent generation (1928 to 1945)
· 1 % of US is made of of Mormons who are Baby Boomers (1945 to 1964)
· 2% of US is made up of Mormons who are Generation X (1965 to 1980)
· 2% of US is made up of Mormons who are Millenials (1981 to 1996)"

So what is it? Is 1.6% of the US population Mormon or is it 8%? It can't be both.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 11:09PM

Heretic 2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> These statistics are a bit warped and
> nonsensical:
>
> "· Mormon Share of US Population from
> 2007 to 2014 from 1.7% to 1.6% Decline of 0.1%"
>
> "RELIGIOUS COMPOSITION BY GENERATION
> · 1% of US is made up of Mormons from the
> greatest generation (born before 1928)
> · 2% of US is made up of Mormons from the
> Silent generation (1928 to 1945)
> · 1 % of US is made of of Mormons who are
> Baby Boomers (1945 to 1964)
> · 2% of US is made up of Mormons who are
> Generation X (1965 to 1980)
> · 2% of US is made up of Mormons who are
> Millenials (1981 to 1996)"
>
> So what is it? Is 1.6% of the US population
> Mormon or is it 8%? It can't be both.

Heretic, you don't *add* those numbers, you *average* them. :)

Add them up, you get 8. Divide by the 5 categories, you get 1.6.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2015 11:10PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: Ex-cultmember ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 11:14PM

Yeah, it's badly worded. I'm guessing they meant to say "of those in the U.S. who are from the xxxx generation, xx% are Mormon."

Posted by: JasonJDelmonico ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 12:08AM

Quoting that Trib: "If the survey's conclusion is correct, that would mean the number of adult Mormons in America increased from 3.86 million (in 2007) to 3.92 million last year. The Utah-based faith currently reports its total U.S. membership at nearly 6.5 million."

That's what I find fascinating. About 2.6 million "Mormons" the church counts don't consider themselves Mormon when asked by pollsters.

Really, the only "growth" the church is seeing is through babies being born.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 07:56AM

So that "growth" is mitigated by defections. If Mormons have 3 kids per family, and only 1.2 of them stay active, then each couple is a generational decline of 40%.

Date: May 13, 2015 12:34AM

Back in the mid-60s, the growth rate was such that the 'stone cut without hands...' was rolling so hard and fast that the projection was that by the year 2000, there were going to be 100 million mormons. This was in the day of mormonism being the fastest growing church in the world.

But Satan put on his game face and quickly put a stop to that. Now the church tries to make the most out of roughly 333,333 per year growth, but we are NEVER told anything concrete about resignations or how many 'lost' 110 year olds are moved from the active file to the dead file. In 2055 it will be my honor to make that move!

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 12:43AM

110 year old people and those who have been exed, resigned, no longer attend etc. do not pay tithing.

Meanwhile, utility bills, insurance, upkeep, etc continue on the real estate empire.

The older generation is literally dying off.

Google is killing LDS Inc.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 01:19AM

It shows that 58% of Mormons who leave the faith are now unaffiliated with religion. So I guess that answers that common question seen here on RFM and other places. 33% stick with Christianity, and 8% do a different non-christian religion.

Posted by: unabashed ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 08:59AM

I have been communicating with Pew over the year encouraging them to breakout the LDS. In prior research it was unclear of the LDS were counted as Protestant or Other Christain.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.