Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: poppyseed84 ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 12:31PM

Ok here it goes. When meeting with my Bishop about my divorce he asked me to give the closing prayer and stand. I thought nothing of it at the time but then he took out his camera and took a picture of my chest and later showed another bishop in the same church building as my ward and asked him "Do those look real to you?" I know because I heard them and was standing outside the office when it happened. I spoke to my Stake President last night about it and he said if this is true that this is a serious offense. What will the stake president do? Should I move immediately. I am a single mother 30 of two little boys. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 12:34PM

Speak to an attorney immediately.

Make sure it is not a mormon attorney.

Date: May 13, 2015 12:38PM

Will the bishop get released from his calling?

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 12:38PM

Yep. Attorney time. Go after the device.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 12:40PM

Don't worry about the bishops and his silly little church job. Go get an attorney and sue.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 12:43PM

What a GD perv. Don't let this go.

Attorney as above, immediately. They will instruct you to go to the police, help you file. The photo is available through his phone co., and if the Smithing Smither has sent it to others.

Do not move. Do not budge. You have done nothing wrong.

Don't reveal anymore details here. The church monitors this site.

He just paid for your children's college fund and a cabin.

So sorry this happened! A bishop hugged, tried to kiss my young niece alone in his office.

Be brave!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 12:43PM

Most likely, the SP won't "believe" you, or will assume you "seduced" the bishop. At most, the bishop will get an "admonishment" or something of the sort. The good old boys network as usual.

I agree with the others, go see a non-mo attorney. And get out of that toxic environment (the church).

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 12:46PM

The SP will have asked the Bishop to delete the photo. I agree with the others. Get a non-mo lawyer and get the device and the photo if you can.

Then sue so you can send your kids to college.

Date: May 13, 2015 12:59PM

Excuse me i am not being false and i am not against the church entirely though i feel my bishop is controlling and practicing unrighteous dominion on the member of his congregation. I have been through a lot with this bishop and have help my voice too long so i needed to turn somewhere.

Date: May 13, 2015 01:02PM

The SP is not the person to turn to in this instance.
He is on the side of the bishop and the reputation of the church.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 01:36PM

You cannot protect the church and the bishop if you have any interest in protecting yourself. The church isn't set up that way.

You have to choose who/what is most important to you. Is the mormon church more important than you being sexually assaulted by it's leaders? You do realize this is a form of sexual assault, right?

Posted by: Hikergrl ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 01:46PM

And now you know what your bishop truly thinks of you.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 01:07PM

Understand that any mormon who becomes aware of this situation will instictively work to protect the hive.

You need a lawyer.

Gloria Alred would be a good one in this incident.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 01:14PM

While you should still get the lawyer, some of it may already be overtaken by events. This has alerted the LDS church people who monitor this board. You have spoken to the stake president, and he is under way to nip this in the bud, protecting the church--and by extension, the bishop--from any negative impact..

The SP and his posse are working to fix this right now, but not on your behalf. They likely will not even discipline the bishop because this would be a tacit admission of a problem. The photograph has already been deleted, and no one will have access unless he sent it to another party. If he did, there will be ample evidence in the toll data supplied by his provider.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 01:21PM

In places like Oregon, pervy guys can take pictures up minor girls' skirts without retribution, so i'm not sure how a picture of a clothed bosom is going to be grounds for suing anyone.

Don't get me wrong, the bishop and his cronies sound like revolting misogynists and I'd be chewing him out if I were in your shoes.

Date: May 13, 2015 01:26PM

Itzpapalotl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In places like Oregon, pervy guys can take
> pictures up minor girls' skirts without
> retribution, so i'm not sure how a picture of a
> clothed bosom is going to be grounds for suing
> anyone.
>
Individual pervy guys have nothing worth suing, no major assets worth going after.

A large, multi-billion $$$ corporation that is obsessed with image has a lot to lose and a lot of money to make any negative publicity go away.

Apples and oranges.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 01:31PM

I just don't see it going anywhere. It sucks and indicative of the culture at large, but this kind of bullshit happens everyday to women (and men too.) I guess she could go to the media and tell her story, but I really don't see anything happening.

Posted by: Hikergrl ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 05:11PM

Sexual harassment?

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 01:23PM

Wow. My jaw is hanging open poppyseed84. I just can't even believe what some guys will do. I mean...seriously.

I agree with everyone else. And don't let him push you around. (Make you move.) He is in the wrong, not you. You shouldn't be punished because of this.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 01:31PM

This isn't about being vindictive. Maybe for some posters here it is, but you can filter that out.

It's about demanding the respect you deserve. If you let it go, they will do it again. Guys need to be slapped down once in a while. It's part of nature. Play the respect angle, not the perv angle.

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 01:36PM

Should not have gone to the Stake President. Should have approached the authorities first. That is sexual harassment. Should have told his wife as well. I would go ape shit if a bishop did this to my wife. Why are they having you give a closing prayer after a meeting with him. I have never done that. Got up and left

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2015 01:37PM by shodanrob.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 01:42PM

You don't need to move, you do need to stop giving creepy people any sort of power or authority, church creeps only have as much as you give them.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 01:56PM

If this is a real woman, someone provide the link to the law firm that won the church vs Mormon scout molester case, among NUMEROUS others.

Contact them, they will contact the church. There will be a settlement, and quickly. You will be able to start over in Hawaii if you choose to. The church will do anything to avoid this sort of press to tarnish their phony squeaky clean image.

CALL NOW, don't waste anymore time.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 01:59PM

So when he took a picture of your boobs did you say anything to him?

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 02:01PM

Do you have any evidence other than his comment that a picture was ever taken? He could simply claim his comment was regarding something different entirely and had nothing to do with you.

Posted by: xtremewayz ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 02:08PM

Stop talking to your Stake President and for that matter all other church leaders. Do not talk about this to any of your mormon friends either. They will tell your bishop or whomever what you're doing.

Immediately get an attorney, contact the police and file a report. Hopefully they can seize the phone as evidence. Take it to a forensic examiner....they can easily extract the data, pictures, texts etc. even if they've been deleted.

Do not share the "progress" of this with anyone outside of the legal and law enforcement community.

Ultimately, no phone.....no case.

If all you have is your word against his, you lose and will have some form of retaliation.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 02:09PM

more information is needed to evaluate this situation

please post links to pics

thanks

Posted by: Redneck Wonderland ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 02:22PM

Also don't escalate to head office. They will respond that it's a local matter and refer it back to the SP and Bishop.

Protect each other is the name of the game. They lie, cheat and steal if needed to protect one another. It's part of the Masonic code.

Posted by: jcrichards ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 03:09PM

So did you actually see him take a photo? Were you peeking while you were praying and saw him whip his phone out and take a snapshot?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 03:15PM

An attorney is going to most likely inform you that you're going to need some solid evidence. The problem is this will turn into: she said - he said in a hurry without the photo and the testimony of the bishop and the other person he talked to. My guess is he will delete the photo and claim he didn't do anything or say anything to anyone. Mormons most often are asked to pray kneeling. That is the usual position after a meeting or interview. The exception is in larger meetings when standing is the usual position.

I'd consider leaving the LDS Church completely. Moving doesn't help as they share info.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2015 03:19PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Anonnn ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 04:07PM

I'm a woman, and although this creepy and inappropriate, if it were were me I would call him out in it, speak to the SP, and then never agree to meet again. I wouldn't take it any further than that because it's just not worth the time and effort. This is something a teenage boy would do.

Do not give him any more authority or power over you!

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 05:11PM

That's really bizarre.

As soon as I knew he took a picture, I'm quite certain that I would have asked, "Why did you just take a picture of me?"

I'm not sure where I would have gone from there, but I would definitely have asked that right away because it's so totally inexcusable.

Posted by: justthefacts ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 05:31PM

Wow. That is an incredible breach of conduct for anyone placed in a position such as a bishop.
My heart goes out to you.
It is tough enough being a single mom without having to endure abuse like that.
Do not listen to Oaks; if the criticism is true, makes no difference if he/she is in a leadership position.
They need to be held accountable.
Barry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.