Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 02:53PM

This is a link to a blog which summarizes the atrocious End Times "Left Behind" book series by Tim LeHaye and Jerry Jenkins for those of us who will never read the series themselves. This entry deals with LaHaye and Jenkins pathetic attempt at sexual tension while maintaining the necessary purity for the protagonists.

Here is a quote to serve as an appetizer:
"The Cookie Incident was a milestone for Buck and Chloe because it was the first time they made physical contact. I’m not totally sure of this, but it may actually be the only time they’ve made physical contact. At all. These are people, remember, who have to work their way up to a “hand-holding stage. ” For our protagonists and readers who come from this no-touching-during-courtship subculture, Buck’s actions during the Cookie Incident were bold, shocking, even risqué. Thumb to lip contact? That’s third base! His thumb touched her mouth and then his own — that’s almost like kissing, the sort of thing proper courtship says ought to be saved for the wedding night."

"If you’re unfamiliar with this subculture, you probably think I’m exaggerating. See for yourself. Google around the term “courtship” or look up Bill Gothard or the student handbook for Pensacola Christian College. Read about how a couple’s first kiss should be saved for the day of their wedding and get a sense of how fraught with meaning, tension and terror any physical contact is for these folks. Reading that stuff illustrates how thin and porous the line is between constant vigilance and obsession. Their never-ending quest for sexual purity makes them seem dirty-minded. Things that most people would not regard as even remotely sexual are, for them, completely eroticized."

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2020/02/21/lbcf-no-263-reaching-for-the-cookie-sack/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=BRSS&utm_campaign=Progressive+Christian&utm_content=491

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 03:01PM

My son and daughter were best friends with a kid who was baptist. They spent a lot of time at his house and my daughter (now the TBM) requested a cross necklace for Christmas. My mormon sister had a fit when she saw her wearing it. But their friend was reading the series and I thought, "Why not?" Very interesting. It is one thing to be a mormon.

I guess you could say that a lot of us grew up concerned about being "left behind." I certainly did.

The groups who have their daughters pledge sexual purity to their fathers. Oh please! How sick.

I certainly grew up feeling that a lot of things were off limits, but not to this extent. I lived more in fear of having to talk to a bishop about sex more than I already had just with his questions.

A girl I was in young adult R.S. presidency with wanted to kiss her husband across the alter the first time. She finally had a boyfriend and she ended up getting pregnant. THEN years later, the truth came out. Her father had been sexually abusing all the kids for YEARS. Her husband had moved her out of state to keep her and his own kids away from their grandfather.

You always have to wonder what is being hidden when a group gets this insane about sexual purity.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 03:10PM

Great comments and insight. It's like you have to wonder what's really going on with Dallin Oaks and his obsession with other peoples "same sex attraction".

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 03:02PM

I just read a story from someone's past, regarding the teaching of sexual purity in la iglesia mormona.

The author recalled being in a priesthood meeting, probably as a Teacher. The male teacher was instructing the boys about the need to remain pure. He went through all the hackneyed stories as to the horrible outcomes should one fail to maintain personal purity, and then ended with this:

"...and between you and me, it's not really that great."

You think the man was purposely lying to try to help the boys hang on to their virginity, or was he being honest, and thus throwing his wife, and their sex life, under the bus?

Date: February 21, 2020 03:13PM

I think he was just lying.

We were taught in mutual that we, as females, wouldn't like sex, but that it was our job to keep our husbands happy. That carried over into how they dealt with my husband and I. Up until just recently, I had people telling me that it was my fault he cheated as I obviously wasn't giving him enough sex.

For shinehah, it really seems to me, especially after dealing with mormon leaders over my boyfriend/husband, that the leaders are extremely obsessed with sex. Helping us had nothing to do with teachings, but all about sex. And Boyd's reaction to my letter asking him for help was OVER THE TOP. I think Oaks and several others have issues. I don't want to say they are gay as I wouldn't wish them on the gays. Boyd and Oaks aren't human.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2020 03:16PM by cl2.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 04:57PM

Add this to your "Strange things TBMs say" list:
'Sex is highly overrated and a good bowel movement is highly underrated!'

Date: February 21, 2020 07:11PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 22, 2020 08:18PM

North Korea has a purity culture.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.