Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Waterevil ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 04:02PM

We could get 20ish or so people together one summer and spread the truth about the Mormon Church in Salt Lake City Ut. We would tell everyone about the 1990 temple ritual change and about how JS sold the papyrus (as holy as the Golden Plates) for cash.

We will ask them "Will you make a commitment not to tithe?"

Who is with me?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 13, 2015 04:03PM

Mormon Church thinks it's ok to lie to starving people in Africa and tell them to pay $$$ because they are sinners. Why not challenge the church and wear suit+ties and knock on all the doors?

Posted by: Iletthedogsout ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 04:06PM

I do this work every day of my life as a professor of comparative religions.

Date: May 13, 2015 04:12PM

This organization has some solid arguements and evidence. Their negative is that they won't be able to get this information out fast enough before the next generation of youths leave for their mission. What Exmormon.org needs is a training center so these missionaries will learn the Mormon Church's tricks and Cult moves. They will learn how to present the evidence in a non bias way and encourage people to think for themselves. They can bear testimony that they were able to afford things such as cars and houses by not paying tithing!

Posted by: bentleye ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 01:10AM

I think the idea of being a secular missionary is great. The trouble is that the most deluded people who need the good news the most are apt to get violent.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 04:18AM

I don't want to change other people unless they specifically tread on me in my home.

Let them think whatever they choose. I'll do the same.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 11:30AM

I have a strong desire to see the demise of the church, and of course through only legal and civil means. I dealt with a fair amount of anti-mormonism when I was on the other side defending the church. So I feel like I can be most effective now when it comes to exposing and deminishing the church. You want to cut them off at the pass (so to speak), get them to take losses without losing anything yourself, and never give them anything to inadvertantly support their position. Here are some of the rules I go by myself.
1.) Always tell the truth, and never exagerate
2.) The goal is to convey truths only, not to attack faith itself
3.) Avoid as much as possible, fitting their definition of an adversary. Make it as difficult as possible to dismiss you as someone on the side of Satan. The truth is, you're not. So avoid that paradigm.
4.) Don't try to de-convert people who you don't have some personal relationship with unless they want your help. They'll be ready when they are ready, and not before.
5.) Don't by shy about sharing your mormon horror stories with anyone who wants to listen. But do it without any expectations.
6.) Share your information about why you left in ways that make it difficult for anyone to conclude that you wanted to sin, or that you were offended by someone. The further along you get in your recovery, the more you'll realize that's not true.
8.) Learn new social skills so you can socialize well outside of mormonism. Learn to open up to non-members and to share things like the pre-1990 temple death threats and stories from your mission without feeling shame, or like you're a traitor.
9.) When making direct attacks on the church, use only accurate accounts from personal experiences, and from well documented historical facts.
10.) The key to winning the battle is not to disprove their theology. You can't win that way. Go after the ill-effects of certain docterines and practices that are harmful to people.
11.) The church does a lot to hide their finances. But where possible, attack how they generate and use money when the means or ends are not worthy of a charitable organization.
12.) Any time you do activities that could meet their description of anti-mormon, and you raise money doing it, make pre-emptive strikes by explaining how the cult uses money to meet their objectives, and pays their top leaders generously, despite what they say. For example, someone like John Dehlin should expose the truth of how the mormon money machine works while asking people for donations to himself. Don't make it easy for church members to dismiss you because they see you raising money without leaving them to wonder if they are hypocrits for doing so.
13.) Don't show up at mormon places or events and hand out anti-mormon literature there. Use only forums where you will be respected to share negative information about the church. Share your information in credible ways, and to people who are prepared to listen.
14.) Don't be confrontational but do be prepared to set your boundaries and to share correct information about the church when in public. I was recently at a public charity event where there were twelve mormon missionaries there working the crowd, one person at a time. I decided that if they asked me what I knew about the mormon church, that I would calmly and with a friendly smile on my face say "I know that when I went through the temple in 1982, that there was an oath and a threat of penalties to cut my throat open from ear to ear as a penalty if I ever revealed the first token of the Aaronic priesthood, along with its accompanying name, sign, and penalty", publicly enough so those in the crowd around me would hear and see me act it out. And then calmly smile and walk away. I stayed ready to maintain a respectful dialogue with them if they maintained respect toward me, or to remind them that they engaged me and then walk away if they turned disrespectful, all in front of many bystanders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2015 11:43AM by azsteve.

Posted by: ness ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 11:37AM

When my brother got of his mission, he still had to get up at 6 AM until he was released. I asked what was the point of that? My Dad said "oh, yeah, he has to get up at 6 AM and knock on doors... and YOU could go with him!" *Chuckle*
I said, "yeah, that will go over well. He'll be sharing the word and I'll be destroying it."
*awkward laugh from family*

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 11:42AM

There was a clip of a guy on you tube who knocked on doors in Utah to preach atheism. Mormons especially were furious with him, because monkeys like to throw shit, but they don't like catching it.

Date: May 14, 2015 05:39PM

If we don't do anything soon, i'm afraid Mormonism will continue to rise. This organization needs to band together with all the ex-Mormon organizations and develop 10 of the best facts against Mormonism such as the selling of the Papyrus, which was equal to the Holy Golden Plates, for cash, and 1990 temple ritual change. We need to start a fundraiser and publish all financial information to the internet. We can start teaching classes and give out certificates to those who passed these.

We would challenge all Mormons to take this class!

Classes would be church history, hpw to have a healthy debate, and so on...

It would be fun and there would be free food!!!

Posted by: waterevil ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 05:40PM

We need to distribute these 10 facts exactly like church pamphlets.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.