Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 11:09AM

As the subject says, who thought their new name that everyone received the day you first entered the Holy Castle?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 11:20AM

I thought mine was ok -- it was Elizabeth.

Posted by: foolmoon ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 12:44PM

Hah! We share the same name! :-)

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 12:55PM

So . . .if my ex calls out the name of Elizabeth, would you be willing to take my place? ; ' )

Posted by: Just Passing Through ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 11:25AM

When you see me on the other side of the veil, just call me Isaac. It is ok, wife is Eunice, ouch.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 12:53PM

Gosh that's my name!

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 11:25AM

I did.

Levi was Matthew's new name in the bible or some such.

My real name is Matthew.

I thought that was pretty kewl.

Every time I did a session, after being given the new name, I would sit in the chapel and read about the person, ie Noah, Levi, etc so that I wouldn't forget it.

Dummy.

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 08:42AM

Wait. You can get a new name more than once?

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 11:28AM

Since I was all wrapped up in it at the time I thought I was cool. Not realizing everyone else going through at the same time was also getting named Solomon.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 11:34AM

Don't know since I can't remember mine.

I figured once I forgot that, might as well stop being mormon since all that hard work would be wasted once I died and didn't remeber my new name and couldn't get in and all . . .

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 11:57AM

Moses >> Charleton Heston >> Ben Hur. Yeah, it was a badass name - off of a list.

Saturday, November 4, 1989.

Washington DC temple.... "Surrender Dorothy!!"

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 12:39PM

Jesus must have thought I was special because he chose "Peter" for me-- since it was the name of his number one apostle and such. Until, of course, I found out that everyone else that day was given the same goddamn name. God, I was naive.

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 12:56PM

I suffered doubt, shame, and anxiety over my name: Saul. Because I thought the name was revealed specifically for me, I thought god was communicating to me through that name. I perseverated over what the meaning could be. Did god intend to suggest I was like Saul of Tarsus, the sinner made holy through mighty conversion, or was I like King Saul, the chosen of the lord who became wicked and damned?

Of course, as a constant sinner of the blackest hue, I knew which was more likely. This caused me years if psychic pain, weeping, and ineffectual pleading with god for forgiveness.

It wasn't until I discovered this site in 2009 (after my exodus) that I discovered the names were given in batches. Given the lack of full disclosure on that point, and the implication that the name is revealed, I call this pastoral malpractice.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 12:56PM

Did I think it was cool? Eh it was alright Mine was Eli.

But what I DID think was it was special. I had no IDEA that it was the same name as everyone else there that day.

That pissed me off when i found out.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 01:00PM

Mine was "David."
Since it's my older brother's real name, I was a bit disappointed.
I initially thought maybe it was some magically special link to bible myth "David," insinuating that the Lard thought I was destined to be a ruler, king, and guy who peeps on naked women from rooftops, then has sex with them, then kills their husbands...but no such luck. Never did any of those things :(

Posted by: sb ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 01:13PM

Japheth in the house! Call me Jay for short.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 01:36PM

When I found out that it wasn't must me and the original Moroni, I wondered why no one prepared me for that bit of upsetting news. Why did no one tell me what was going to happen when ghawd yelled out, "Hey, Moroni!" and 318,446 faithful Moronis stood up and yelled back, "What?"

It's so lame! JS started a secret club, with secret names, and didn't know what the heck to when he ran out of names.

what do the temple workers think of this secret name business?

Ghawd bless the faithful sheep, who keep their heads down, follow the shepherd and line up so docilely to be shorn, I mean line up for tithing settlement. Sheep are nature's way of keeping grifters fat and happy.

Posted by: jdawg333 ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 01:40PM

Lazarus.

I suppose it is decent on its own, but I thought it was super cool when I came across a "St Lazarus Cemetery". :)

Posted by: wildtapirs ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 02:44PM

I like mine,
Dinah is purported to be the second wife of Job after he lost everything in addition to the story in the Bible about her.
Actually, I just checked Wikipedia and it's pretty interesting that her name is a new name.http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinah

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2015 02:50PM by wildtapirs.

Posted by: Jesse not logged in ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 02:45PM

I liked mine. Still like it. Jesse. Which is my name on rfm, obviously.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 03:19PM

Mine is Daniel, and I got it in 1968, about 3 weeks before I went on my mission.

I went with my parents that day, and I do remember that someone told me to always remember it. I don't think my dad or mom told me to remember it so it must have been someone in the temple.

And of course, I completely forgot it and the next time I went to the temple, which was while I was in the mission training in Provo(3 long months) we went to a Saturday session in Manti. I was embarrassed that I forgot it but someone in the temple was able to find out for me.

After that, I remembered it by always thinking of "Daniel in the lions den."

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 05:25PM

I did. It was one of the more pleasant aspects of the temple ceremony, among being personally violated by inappropriate touching and threats to be murdered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyhLNqOqqPA

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 07:24PM

I have NEVER liked the name Lucy. Even my ex said, "what????" when I gave him THAT name through the veil.

It was a CLUE. I grew up being taught it was God's special name for me. It was one of the things I was most looking forward to. What a joke? I wasn't sure I ever liked my own name growing up, but my parents did a far better job of naming me than God did. I like my name now--Colleen. It was my mom's best friend's name and my sisters' names suck.

Posted by: aquarius1963 ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 07:38PM

Mine was Olivia. I liked mine.

Posted by: Dave in Hollywood ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 07:47PM

So what did I get? Michael. ZZZZzzzz....

Posted by: Lue ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 07:50PM

Susan?! Who else has susan? Not very biblical or Mormon at all

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 07:48AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susanna_%28Book_of_Daniel%29

As the story goes, a fair Hebrew wife named Susanna was falsely accused by lecherous voyeurs. As she bathes in her garden, having sent her attendants away, two lustful elders secretly observe the lovely Susanna. When she makes her way back to her house, they accost her, threatening to claim that she was meeting a young man in the garden unless she agrees to have sex with them.

She refuses to be blackmailed and is arrested and about to be put to death for promiscuity when a young man named Daniel interrupts the proceedings, shouting that the elders should be questioned to prevent the death of an innocent.

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 08:01PM

I had a hard time not to laugh when I got mine. The old lady pronounced it too funny. she said: Abbì-geil and "geil" in german means horny, wicked, .... like that.
Otherwise I think Abigail sounds nice - but it isnn't unique and chosen after my personality or character and 3576 people who went for their first endowment that day in March got the same name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2015 08:02PM by newnameabigail.

Posted by: moose (nli) ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 08:23PM

Mine is my middle name. Aaron.

I have biblical proportions.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 08:35PM

Elijah checking in. A real badass prophet. You don't screw with Elijah in the OT. And he rides in a shiny chariot at the end.

Elijah calls down fire from heaven. Tom Monson wiggles his ears.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 02:13AM

for daring to say that while my assigned temple name (Hannah - which I did not reveal, of course) was OK, I preferred to think of it in the original Hebrew form, which is more like Chana (the "ch" being like the German in "ach").

The bishop had a fit and declared that I was not allowed to even THINK of my temple name in any other form than the original designation.

Ummm, where does it say THAT in the Bishop's Handbook???

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 02:47AM

My temple name was my father's middle name.

(I was not BIC; my dad is Jewish.)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 02:53AM

Barnabas Boner here! Coolest of the lot.

Posted by: grrlpower ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 05:10AM

Reading all of your comments has me curious. What is the point of being given a new name in the temple? And does everyone really not know that they are given out in batches?

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 09:09AM

Hated it. Now when I hear it I'm reminded of the time I pretended to slit my own throat.

Posted by: frackenmess ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 09:43AM

Husband forgot my new name and used to call me "Vickie" in his mind.

We didn't take it too seriously.

Posted by: crookedletter ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 09:43AM

I got Emma. I was so disappointed, as Emma wasn't faithful enough to go west with the saints. How brainwashed was I?!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 09:54AM

Catholics get to choose their own names for their church confirmations (it has to be a religiously significant name, usually a saint's name.) Mine is Catherine. I wonder why Mormons don't get to choose their temple names? One more aspect of control?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.