Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 07:10PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 07:12PM

Incorrect Worldly Philosophy = Hate Gay Marriage. Nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2015 07:12PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 07:19PM

The end of the "Learning Assessment" is very interesting. It is a "BELIEF SURVEY." Choices are as follows:

I KNOW this is true.
I BELIEVE this is true.
I SORT OF BELIEVE this is true.
I DON'T KNOW this is true.

Warning students. Don't choose this last one!

Date: May 14, 2015 07:20PM

I noticed that too and thought what, no "I KNOW this ISN'T true"?

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 08:13PM

A good write-in answer!

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 07:24PM

Section One of the Seminary Test has 32 questions. Questions 28, 29, 30, 31 and 32 are all about Gay Marriage, etc. I wonder which apostle(s) wrote and demanded so many questions on this topic? It does sound like this is the social issue TSCC is most worried about.

EDITED to ADD: There is nothing about "Making Your Calling and Election Sure." I wonder why?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2015 07:26PM by jiminycricket.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 07:26PM

My faves:

#7, #8, #17.

Good grief.

Date: May 14, 2015 07:29PM

QUESTION 7:
"What does the existence of the precious truths in the Pearl of Great Price teach us about the Prophet Joseph Smith?"

The only right answer: (e) That Joseph Smith's translation of the three facsmilies have been proven to be a complete fraud.

QUESTION 8:
"As watchmen on the tower, modern prophets have a responsibility to:"

The only right answer: (e) be good corporate executives and tell you that you can't be exalted in heaven unless you pay 10% of your gross earnings for the rest of your life.

QUESTION 17:
"Marriage between one man and one woman is the Lord's standing law. When is the only time plural marriage is justified?"

The only right answer: (e) When you're horny as Joseph Smith was and have to sneak around as he did behind Emma's back, before God gives you a revelation that it is o.k. to have multiple wives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2015 07:37PM by jiminycricket.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 07:29PM

Damn...I wouldn't have a clue about any of those questions, never having read any of the scriptures mentioned, but I saw a few answers I'd just HAVE to check, just to piss off the examiner and guarantee my ejection from the class.

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2015 08:58PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 07:32PM

#6 doesn't have the correct answer listed, either:

"To be endowed in the temple means to receive....?"

Correct answer:

A bunch of ripped-off-from-the-Freemasons secret signs and handshakes, a non-unique "new name," and magic underwear that aren't actually magic after all.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 07:33PM

The church is *really* worried about gay marriage.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 07:33PM

Number28-32 Option e. Changes in Civil Law do not change the moral law god has established. Then why did god decide that polygamy and Blacks not receiving the priesthood could change to fit Civil Law?

Date: May 14, 2015 07:40PM

They can dish it out but can't take too well can they? What a crook of hypocrisy dressed as a religion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2015 07:40PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 07:51PM

Cheezus Christ - there is really a test you have to pass? I didn't do a test in seminary nor did I in institute. But since Institute is a regular class in college at BYU ... it makes sense .. to test them. (goes the score in your Bachelor's rating?)
And then? If you fail the test what will happen? You'll never make it to a GA?
Really. What is the reason behind a test like that - except to see for the teacher if his brainwash works or not?
Somehow I feel disgusted.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 15, 2015 12:59AM

If you fail seminary, (and I did back in the late 80s; got F and a D- as a freshman) it goes on your eturnal ruport kard. The Bishopper tried to get me to enroll for the balance of HS, but I told him no way!

My reward was to serve a mission.

So in the end it meant diddly squat except to pervert and control the youth.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 07:53PM

I tried to read it all, just to be in the loop.
I really tried. I really, really, really tried.
Couldn't make it to the end. :(

I think it was the question about what tithing was used for that did me in.
I stared at it, and stared at it, and just couldn't find the right answer anywhere in there.

Fail.

Date: May 14, 2015 07:54PM

There is a missing question:

According to D&C 1:38 it says, "What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same."

When is it permissible for the Lord's servants to throw previous prophets under the bus just like the recent essay on Blacks and the Priesthood did with Brigham Young?

Date: May 14, 2015 08:08PM

When Dallin Oaks started speaking for God. No apologies, no looking back.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 07:57PM

They also addressed the historicity of the BoA problem. Defensive much?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 08:07PM

A lot of those questions are none of their damn business!

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 08:10PM

All I could think about while reading that test is how the church always claims that "the gospel" is so simple. Yep, sure it is.

The good news is that I couldn't remember the correct answer to quite a few questions. I think I'm on my way to being recovered.

Date: May 14, 2015 08:13PM

All you had to do is think of the answer an apostle would pick and you could pass it.

Date: May 14, 2015 08:18PM

I would love to write that essay question about my personal thoughts on the prophet joseph smith.

Date: May 14, 2015 08:25PM

In California, Seminary doesn't conclude for another 3 weeks or so. Wouldn't it be fun to copy this test off from the link provided, reduce each page so the whole test fits on one page with the caption heading:

Dear Seminary Student:

You can go to this link: http://imgur.com/a/L6tWC and see the test that your seminary teacher is supposed to give you as your final exam. Study hard. Study in groups and get ready to pass the test with a 100% perfect score. Don't worry about what your seminary teachers think. This isn't cheating. This is Heavenly Father wanting you to know what the questions will be so that you will be truly happy with your test results.

The whole purpose of Seminary and the CES program is to indoctrinate you into answering church belief/doctrinal issues so that you'll blindly follow the brethren and go on missions. By the way, if you want to know the value of a return missionary, LDS.org has the answer: https://www.lds.org/pages/areapresidency/2012/august?lang=eng&country=au It is about producing generations of "tithe payers" for the church.

Sincerely, Your Loving Heavenly Father

Date: May 15, 2015 02:26AM

Someone posted the answers to the test on another exmo site. The red it one.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 08:54PM

Is this testing a new thing? IDR any tests in the 90s.

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 11:31PM

Thanks jiminycricket for the illuminating reading from your above link. It was amazing to see a member of Intellectual Reserve (herein referred to as "the morg") lay it out so blatantly;

"Consider this important point: a young man who faithfully serves a mission will likely marry in the temple and a raise a righteous family. His children, and their children, will also likely grow up to be active faithful members of the Church. IN THREE GENERATIONS THAT YOUNG RETURNED MISSIONARY’S POSTERITY WILL PROBABLY ACCOUNT for OVER EIGHTEEN ACTIVE ADULT TITHE -PAYING MEMBERS.

By tragic contrast, a young man who does not serve a mission will likely not have the same opportunity to learn and embrace the gospel principles. He is more likely to become less-active; possibly would not receive the Melchizedick Priesthood, or the "blessings" of temple marriage. Sadly for our balance sheets, his family is less likely to be active in the Church, and if that occurs, in three generations HIS POSTERITY WILL ACCOUNT FOR LESS THAN ONE ACTIVE MEMBER. For those of us drunk with power brought to us by millions of tithe paying drones to whom we give NOTHING BUT EMPTY PROMISSES in return for their financial devotion, this is a very sobering example of the value of a returned missionary."

Okay, yeah, that was slightly revised for emphasis.

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: May 14, 2015 11:42PM

In small print, no less;

"Blah, blah, blah.....The value of a returned missionary who is truly converted, is priceless."

I guess that statement must be true if "priceless" means something you are not willing to pay anything for. Then yeah, the missionaries ARE priceless to the morg.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 15, 2015 11:45AM

Hmmm... Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Consider this important point: a young man who
> faithfully serves a mission will likely marry in
> the temple and a raise a righteous family. His
> children, and their children, will also likely
> grow up to be active faithful members of the
> Church. IN THREE GENERATIONS THAT YOUNG RETURNED
> MISSIONARY’S POSTERITY WILL PROBABLY ACCOUNT for
> OVER EIGHTEEN ACTIVE ADULT TITHE -PAYING MEMBERS.

Hahahahaha...
I "faithfully" served a mission. No temple marriage, no kids to promulgate the cult. In three generations, THIS young returned missionary will account for -1 active adult tithe-paying members.

I win :)

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: May 15, 2015 01:05AM

Under the 'Belief and Apply' survey, I love how they position 'know' (over 'believe') as being the most certain about each of the statements. Ahhh brain washing at its finest.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: May 15, 2015 11:58AM

Are they really testing this kind of junk on the teenagers!?? Heck in the 1980's the morg was at least happy if you showed up!! When did they start doing tests like the one in the link?? It must of been during the 90's or 00's. I don't recall taking tests like that in the 80's!!

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: May 15, 2015 12:04PM

It just proves they need to amp up the brainwashing and control lately. When you test like this, the subconscious gets the idea that there are ‘correct’ and ‘incorrect’ answers about this tripe. It’s much more effective than just blathering it to you in a lecture, it makes people focus and the crap really settles in their heads deep. It makes it 'official.'

Cult, cult, cult, and … cult.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.