Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 02:45PM

Something they never taught us in Relief Society Homemaking classes --

but I've recently discovered that I LIKE coffee (shame on me! NOT!!).

I was thinking about getting one of those Mr. Coffee machines, and trying to make my own - as restaurant coffee can get expensive.

Then I realized - I don't have a clue how to do that!

I'd look like a fool asking folks around here how to make coffee, so I thought I'd come to you all, as you would understand how an otherwise mature lady of normal intelligence could go most of a lifetime, never having even seen a pot of coffee made.

So, can you folks help me figure out what I need to know in order to start brewing up some of that sinfully tasteful brew?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 02:50PM

...keep it simple. Real, fresh ground coffee has been shown to be beneficial....so just get a cheap, K-Mart/Target/Walmart coffemaker @ $29.95 and go to town. The expensive overpriced single serve machines are not cost-effective ......plus, the individual coffee-loads are full of chemicals. You can always tune up your own brew with natural flavorings.......IMO.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 02:54PM

There are usually directions for making a pot of coffee included with whichever coffee maker you get. Basically just follow the instructions, and from there tweak the measurements and try different brands until you find your favorite.

Fact: A lot of it depends on your water. Seriously. When we lived in NY, Folger's was the best. We moved to the midwest and Folger's tasted yucky, so we tried several until we found one we both liked.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 04:36PM

If you have hard water (you can order a free test strip from Morton's online) you need to get a good filter if you don't have one already. When BF and I lived up in Durango, we had well water that smelled like a giant fart, so we filtered our water through one of those Britas. Thankfully we have a fridge now that filters the water.

As for making the coffee, IMNSHO, get a decent grinder, a drip coffee maker, and whole beans. Grind your beans fresh everyday. I don't really measure, mostly eyeball it, but use about 3/4-1 cup of fresh grounds for 5 cups of water. I drink it black, but raw sugar and 1/2 and 1/2 is good, too.

I usually get my beans from the Rio Grande brand and I like the Breakfast Blend, Kona, Colombiana, or Sumatra. I think their flavoured varieties have an off taste to them. If you really want flavour, I would recommend just getting some flavoured creamers, that way you can test out what you like without dealing with a whole bag of coffee you might dislike.

If you're environmentally minded, you can buy a reusable filter basket. Make sure to clean your coffee maker every month running a vinegar solution through and then water a couple of times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2015 04:40PM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 02:54PM

i have a Keurig Mini and buy San Francisco Bay French Roast K-cups from Costco for about $25.00 for 80 one cups...it is soooooo good.

Yes, I know, when I first started making coffee at home, it was How???

But know I now.

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 02:57PM

i mean now I know....a bit dyslexic there

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 02:56PM

You are not a fool. That's a good question, and learning to make a pot of coffee is what every coffee-lover learns.

1. Buy a 12-cup Mr. Coffee Maker. Read instruction book.

2. Buy white paper filters. Make sure they say 8-12 cup size.

3. Fill the glass coffee pot up to the 10-cup line

4. Pour the water from the glass pot into the water receptacle of the machine.

5. Put paper filter into the plastic coffee filter basket.

6. Add 1/3 cup of ground coffee (such as Yuban or Folgers) inside the paper filter.

7. Plug coffee pot in.

8. Turn on the pot. Let it brew all the way through.

9. Pour yourself a cup in your favorite mug.

10. Add what pleases you (i.e. 1-2 tsp. sugar, powdered or liquid coffee creamer, real cream, or drink it black.) Enjoy!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2015 02:58PM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 03:00PM

Buy paper filters appropriate for your particular coffee maker. Mr. Coffee type-machines have filters with flat bottoms. There are also cone-type filters (i.e. Melitta #4.) Use one rounded teaspoon of coffee for each cup, plus "one for the pot." If I'm making coffee for myself, I usually make four cups (4 cups = 2 mugs.) Put a smidgeon more water than required because a very small amount will evaporate. Press the "on" button and you are good to go!

Everyone has their own favorite coffees, so get small cans or bags of each one you try until you find one you like. For an inexpensive coffee, I've always found Maxwell House to be very reliable.

I drink my coffee with half-and-half. Some people like milk instead or flavored creamers. You can skip the sugar or add your favorite sweetener. Of course some people like it black. Experiment!

Make sure that your coffee maker has an automatic "off" switch (usually the off switch can be set to one or two hours.) Even then, I always make sure that my coffee maker is unplugged before I leave the house.

Good luck, have fun, and do report back!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2015 05:30PM by summer.

Posted by: Starry... ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 03:04PM

Buy an inexpensive coffee maker, bunn, mr coffee, etc. Keep it simple you don't need all the bells and whistles, next buy a small can/bag of ground roast coffee go with mild to medium. When preparing coffee follow the coffee makers directions , I usually put 3-4 scoops of coffee into my filter and add water to make a full pot of coffee. FYI most coffee makers come wit ha a scoop but if your does not you can easily find one in coffee shops or just use a table spoon. Enjoy.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 03:05PM

You can also save any unused coffee, once it has cooled down and refrigerate it to make iced coffee on a hot summer's day.
It really tastes good with flavored coffee creamer.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 03:06PM

The easiest, most cost effective, most ecological, and best tasting coffee is made with a French press.

Go to a Peets Coffee or Starbucks, buys a French press and coffee beans. Have them grind it for a French Press, and explain to you how to make it.

They'll be glad to help you.

A key is using plenty of coffee.

Posted by: amyjomeg ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 03:13PM

My favorite method is not cost efficient. I just go to my favorite coffee brewery and order up a cup of joe (no pun intended lol,) with "triple triple." That's triple for cream but with skim milk instead, and triple for sugar but with Splenda instead.

Only Tim Horton's brewery where I live knows that lingo, and McDonald's, because it's Canadian - and we're right below Canada.

Otherwise, my Keurig is helpful in a pinch. Tim Horton's Keurig cups are the best flavored ones I've found so far. And I like some of the Keurig teas.

One of my children swears by a French air press. I found one as a Christmas gift at a local gourmet shop for under $30 - it's lightweight and portable and makes a delicious cup of brew from freshly ground beans.

Found another stainless steel variety of the French press at TJ Maxx for myself, and it works nearly as well as the one I gave as a gift.

Percolated coffee is also delishus. I have a Farberware 2-4 cup size coffee percolater you can find them online for not too much. Just add course ground coffee (it needs no paper filters,) and the coffee brews in under a minute.

Have tried the Mr. Coffee maker, but was disappointed with that as the flavor came up short.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 03:16PM

I am EXTREMELY picky about my coffee!

Walmart brand instant. Full teaspoon in 1 cup hot water.

Add sugar and dry whole milk.

Inject into stomach via mouth and throat.

A VERY DIFFICULT PROCEDURE!!!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 03:39PM

I just got some Nescafe Colombian medium roast instant. Very cheap with good aroma and flavor. Starbucks Colombian instant is even better, but it costs quite a bit more. Both Folgers and Nescafe have single serve packets of instant coffee in paper boxes. Biodegradable.

I boil water in a tea kettle for the coffee. Then I add a spoon of sugar and an ounce of half & half. Hot cuppa joe with no mess.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 03:19PM

Coffee makers usually come with a few filters to get you started.

Buy that same shape at the store.

I like the grocery stores that have whole bean coffee that you can grind in the store. That way you can try different ones without investing in a whole lb. of coffee. Just buy about a cup or two of coffee beans and grind them with their grinder.

I drink 16oz. of coffee in the am. I use 16oz of water and 2 heaping TBL.(or 2 coffee scoops/usually enclosed with said coffee pot). That's it.

I drink mine black, but there are all kinds of flavored syrups you can buy to add. Some people like a little bit of milk, cream, sugar, or whatever.

If I go to a coffee shop, I usually order vanilla lattes.

Posted by: exmember5000 ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 03:19PM

I drink mine Decaf, because regular makes me tired, why I don't know?

Posted by: amyjomeg ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 03:34PM

I don't get as much benefit energy wise from drinking coffee as I do teas. Tea has more anti-oxidants in it along with less actual caffeine than coffee (usually about half,) but when I drink tea it gives me the metabolism boost I need to help me get through any housework, or other tasks that need an extra dose of energy.

I like most varieties of black, white, and green teas. Since trip to Japan last year I'm now really into green teas. They're among the healthiest (white too.)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 03:27PM

Have had a variety of coffee makers over the years, but last year bought a Breville Grind N' Brew. It will grind coffee beans or use ground coffee. Works great. But most mornings I head into town and have coffee with my pals at Good Earth.

Ron Burr

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 03:28PM

My wife and son like coffee strong, so we usually buy dark roast and put 6 scoops into the filter. Also, we all like French Vanilla creamer, so we buy the big pump bottles of it at Sam's Club for like $12. It stays on the counter right next to the coffeemaker, and a bottle lasts us about a month. Some people prefer hazelnut or other flavorings, and you can buy bottled flavored syrups like Torani's to add in if you like. And you can get yummy creamers like cinnamon, pumpkin, etc.

We also use Splenda, so we buy the big boxes with like 2000 packets. Use 3 or 4 packets per cup depending on your sweetness preference.

Also, if you're alone and you just want to brew a cup or two, just put 3 scoops of coffee in your filter and fill the pot half full. It only takes 5-6 minutes to brew.

When on the road, I've found that most gas station coffee is better than fast food coffee. I keep a big travel mug in my van, and refill it at any gas station. It fits better in a cupholder than styrofoam cups, and there's less chance of spillage. Also, most gas stations carry Splenda and flavored creamers too. Just learn the good ones in your area.

On a personal note, I picked up a new customer yesterday:

http://www.jumpingoat.com/

The owner gave me about $100 worth of gourmet coffee packets to take home. So we're loaded up for a few months.

Posted by: bona dea.unregistered ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 03:56PM

I have a stove top Italian, Moka, coffee maker. Fill the bottom with water,fill the strainer with coffee and screw the top on. Be sure not to have the handle over the burner or it will melt. Cheap,makes good coffee and is.easy. Be sure to keep it clean and it will taste great.Experiment with typea of coffee to see what you like.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 04:03PM

... them new-fangled Mr. Coffee type thingies get the job done!

Not much to 'em. Thing to do is try out different brands until you find the right combos.

Particularly fond of Jamaican Blue Mountain.

"Take your time and enjoy, for it is the stuff of life." -- Carl Sagan

Hokay, Carl didn't really say that, but I impersonate him saying those words with my first sip 'o' the marnin'!

Party on, mate!

Timothy

Date: May 16, 2015 04:12PM

I'm experiencing MAJOR CogDis because I can't stop being TOTALLY elitist and judgey about all the shitty coffee and fake-assed creamers that y'all are suggesting on this thread.

Does this make me more Mormoney?

Does this make me a bigger apostate?

Is my coffee shelf collapsing?!

HELP!!!!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 04:48PM

yet I like instant coffee. So no, it's not necessarily elitist to have preferences.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 04:13PM

I love Peets coffee. Tullys is good too.

Breakfast blend is a good way to start out. It's usually a blend that's mild and smooth with plenty of caffeine.

Date: May 16, 2015 04:14PM

Finally some sanity!!

Date: May 16, 2015 04:45PM

Bought an el cheapo coffee maker last year for our 5th wheel and it makes great coffee too.

RB

Posted by: readbooks ( )

Posted by: contrarymary ( )

People keep saying "scoops", which I would find confusing being a cook who wants to know the exact measurement used. So in case this helps, the rule of thumb is:

1 T. (tablespoon) store-bought regular ground coffee for every 6 oz. water you use.

I use a slightly rounded 2 Tbsp.(or 1/8 C.) scoop and put it in a filter, then add 12 oz. filtered water. And turn on my drip coffee maker. It makes a perfect basic cup.

I add Splenda (2 pkts. or 7 drops of the liquid Splenda) and 1 or 2 Tbsp. of cream or half and half.

I love the pumpkin spice Dunkin Doughnuts coffee. And enjoy Kroger's Private Selection Breakfast Blend.

I started with a Black and Decker 5-6 C. drip coffeemaker. But I got a Bunn My Cafe individual cup coffee maker last Christmas and I love it because I can use K-cups, or just a drip coffee drawer. It comes with several interchangeable drawers for different types of brewing.

Start simple and work up from there until you get the taste you prefer.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 04:59PM

If it's just you, get a 4 cup coffee maker -- they are usually under $20. Instructions come with it. Buy coffee filters.
Use good tasting water.
I add some cream or flavoring in the cup. Experiment!
I like to make it strong, then add boiling water to taste in the cup... it controls the strength of the coffee that way... anything left over is made into iced coffee by adding ice cubes.
I buy small cans or bags of ground coffee. Keep it fresh. Do not refrigerate.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 05:26PM

Read the owner's manual

Date: May 16, 2015 05:54PM

I especially like coffee with booze in it.

RB

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.