Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Sister Smarmy ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 08:04PM

Grrr...threads get closed too damn quick around here!

After years of having a drip coffeemaker, I splurged and bought a Gaggia automatic espresso machine. It was a ridiculous amount of money, and I felt guilty as hell for buying it...at the time. But I'm not a SAHM, I work full time, and dammit I earned it.

And now my verdict is...worth every damn penny.

I was freaked out at first about how to use the machine, how to you steam milk, but there are a lot of YouTube videos and Whole Latte Love has tons of instructional videos and recipes too.

Even my TBM mother-in-law who has a cup of joe for "health reasons" requests a latte when she comes over. Yeah!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 08:15PM

And Southern ExMo, try it black, try it with milk, try it with half n' half cream (my usual) and try it with condensed milk even. I got turned onto condensed milk at a Vietnamese restaurant. They call it Vietnamese coffee, but it seems to be the condensed milk that makes it what it is.

I don't add sugar, yucky. But you can try sugar and see if you like that as well.

You can also try Baileys Irish cream, or kalua, too.

Or hot chocolate powder.

Or ...

Experiment.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 09:05PM

I never went through the first "How to make coffee" thread, so I extend my apologies if somebody has mentioned the "Clever Coffee Dripper."

http://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Shrub-Clever-Dripper-C70777/dp/B00EOM5RN0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431824104&sr=8-1&keywords=clever+coffee+dripper

It a drip coffee appliance which allows you to let the coffee steep in the hot water for a few minutes, like a coffee press does. You simply put in a basic #4 coffee filter and your coffee into it, then pour the water over it, Put the cover on, to retain temperature, and let it steep for 2-4 minutes.

Then put it on your mug, and the valve is automatically opened, and it drips down, like a regular single-cup dripper. You get the advantages of a coffee press, but without the debris working its way through the screen on the plunger.

Excellent! (Remember--a good appliance will not compensate for "pour" quality coffee beans, ever!)

Posted by: amyjomeg ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 09:35PM

I got used to drinking skim milk, compliments of Weight Watchers. Now I don't drink anything else but skim milk, including with my coffee and tea. I used to love 2% or half&half.

Also for sweetener I like either Stevia or Splenda, or Agave.

Agave is the most natural, or maybe Stevia. I've never been one to enjoy my coffee or tea straight up black.

There's a nice "light" Agave that's lots lower in calories from the regular style. Honey's a good substitute when I'm out of Agave.

Someone else mentioned experiment, and that's really the best way to discover what you'll like best.

Lattes are nice, cold or hot. I also enjoy the Americano when out and about, it's an Espresso with extra hot water, and some steamed milk.

Posted by: coffeesnob ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 11:28PM

Don,t ever drink Folgers. Don't get a Keurig 2.0. If you get a Keurig model get a reusable basket for it. Starbucks is overpriced. The one True Coffee is Seattles Best.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: May 16, 2015 11:37PM

I love milk, cream, soy milk, etc, but my digestive system is intolerant, so alas I must used the flavored creamers. I know I am a cretin for doing so ... smile.

But I have to agree with torturednevermo, Vietnamese coffee is "da bom."

I never could drink black coffee --- bleeech!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 17, 2015 02:58PM

My dad teases me about it because his mother was the same way.
Same thing with iced tea- I can't stand it to be so sweet it's like drinking syrup. I really appreciate bitter tastes in that way. Too much sweetness gives me a stomachache.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: May 17, 2015 03:56PM

I guess I forgot to mention that Vietnamese coffee is iced. It’s a tall glass filled with ice, and there is a good inch of condensed milk in the bottom. Then, a special little brewer is filled and placed over the glass and drips hot coffee into the glass. When it’s done dripping out the strong coffee, you stir it up and have a nice ‘iced’ Vietnamese coffee. So it’s a sweet, cold, coffee drink.

You can do it at home too with a tall glass with ice and the condensed milk in it, then just pour in some hot coffee and mix it up.

The idea turned me onto using condensed milk in my hot coffee whenever DW bakes using some condensed milk and there are leftovers. But do try a Vietnamese ‘iced’ coffee at a restaurant sometime. If you do, you’ll probably wind up having one every time you go for Vietnamese food after that. Mmm, mmm.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: May 17, 2015 02:15PM

I use the old type Keurig machine with a refillable basket instead of K-cups. Kirkland ground in the 3# can from Costco is pretty good. The keurig 2.0 was brought out because Keurig's patent had expired so they did not have the same control as before. The new system isn't better than the old, it is more restrictive as to what you can brew because you have to use licensed products compatible to their new system.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: May 17, 2015 02:36PM

Thankfully, Keurig is reintroducing the refillable K-cups that allows people to brew the coffee of their choice.

There was a backlash by customers unhappy about forking out $50 bucks a pound for the special keurig-licensed coffee pods; supposedly the company has apologized and promised to bring back the reusable K-Cup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2015 02:49PM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: May 17, 2015 03:49PM

Grind beans, turn on electric kettle to heat water, put coffee in double-walled stainless French press, pour hot water, steep 4 minutes, press, pour, add heavy cream, no sugar = Bliss!

Posted by: exmember5000 ( )
Date: May 17, 2015 04:40PM

I have a Mr Coffee coffee maker. I still can only drink decaf because regular makes me tired. I love tea though all kinds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2015 04:40PM by exmember5000.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.