Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 03:02AM

Be on the lookout for the next Terrible Social Evil That The Saints of God Must Strenuously Renounce- namely, watching football on Sunday.

I really predict that within three months there will be an Ensign article about this specific Sign That The World Is Unspeakably Evil.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 09:19AM

How are people going to survive church without watching football on their phones during church? Oh, the humanity...!

The only thing worse is to attend an NFL game on Sunday WITH bare shoulders. Hey, I did that very evil activity/sin? in San Diego... =)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 11:04AM

Why, just because there aren't currently any high-profile mormons -- like Steve Young -- in the NFL? :)

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 04:47PM

Uber TBMs don't allow any TV on Sunday, except conference or church talks... Some (usually same people) force their kids to wear church clothes all day Sunday.

Are Latin or European church members discouraged from watching soccer on Sunday?

Posted by: iamanevermormon ( )
Date: May 19, 2015 01:04AM

I would imagine, otherwise they're hypocrites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2015 01:04AM by iamanevermormon.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 06:58PM

When I was a teen, some nitwit from the stake preached in sacrament meeting that Monday Night Football was Lucifer's plan to destroy FHE.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 10:54PM

Thank you Lucifer.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 10:01PM

There is no question that fhe was created within a short time of the debut of Monday night football.

Posted by: superman4691 ( )
Date: May 19, 2015 01:01AM

Yes, when I was a teenager, I had a friend who lived with his grandmother. (Ultra-Uber TBM). She would not allow any television watching on Sunday, except for conference or some other church approved program.
So my friend would end up at my house after church on Sunday under the guise he was visiting an inactive friend, (me), for the purpose of fellowshipping me back into regular attendance.

The only thing that was regular about his visits was we ended up tossing a football back and forth between the two couches in my family room we were lounging on while watching an NFL game on the tube.

BTW, Joseph Fielding Smith designated Monday nights as FHE nights in 1970, the exact same year Monday Night Football debued.
Before then, FHE was designated as "one night out of the week". There was no specified night until then.
FHE was instituted in 1915. It took the church 55 years to needlessly designate Monday nights for FHE. As if parents and families needed that night locked in because they were to dumb to pick a night for themselves!!

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: May 19, 2015 09:18AM

I never understood why they wouldn't just pick Sunday nights. That's what my family always did. We never had it on Mondays. Well we rarely had it in the first place. But when we did it was always Sundays.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.