Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blueberrypancakes ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 05:24PM

Literally. It all happened so quickly. I need a break from everything, he said. Some quiet time for myself. He'd take the kids to a relative's overnight and would be back the next day. "I can keep her," I said, somewhat stunned from the new unfolding development. "No, it's ok. I'll take her." I remember staring at him for a few very long seconds. What I really wanted to say was, Only out of my dead hands you will, only I didn't. There was no point. He'd already worn me down over the years and the recent damage to the house in one of his rages had me on edge. He took her out of my arms. She was nine months old at the time.

After I got over the initial shock, the first thing I noticed was the quietness. Not the kind of quiet where you can finally take a nap, or read a book, or maybe go find whatever mischief the kids had gotten into. Too quiet. Eerily quiet. Nothing moves. The only sounds are from the occasional car driving down the road, or the rustle of the wind in the trees. I don't know what to do with myself. I've never been away from the kids, let alone under such a feeling of dread. Something was very wrong.

A couple of hours later I had soothed myself by telling myself I was overreacting. Besides, it's not an uncommon thing for a husband to take the kids somewhere so the wife can enjoy some peace and quiet. I might as well enjoy it. Except, my husband isn't the kind of guy that does that. He's never done it before. And, it had been rough between us the last couple of months. Very rough. Ever since he realized I wasn't willing to do what he wanted me to do. You see, several months before I realized I was part of a cult, the Mormon church. I'd grown up in it. And he did too. I was devastated to learn that what I thought was the only true way to live, the way I saw the entire universe, was a total lie. Something that was precious to me became disgusting and hideous, a horrible lie, right in front of my eyes. Some guy in the 1800's was able to lure people into his "religion" for money, power, and sex. He made up the whole thing. People give up huge amounts of time, money and energy for this cause while getting nothing in return. While suffering over unnecessary guilt, self-loathing, and exhaustion. They are told they're the lucky chosen ones. The church was everything that was important and true. And anything outside of the church was darkness and lies. No one who leaves is ever happy. And people who aren't in the church can never be fully happy, let alone, "return to heaven." They are trapped in the philosophical cave. I used to be one of them. But I saw the light, and though as painful as it was to realize I lived my whole life in a cave, I was so happy to be out in the sunshine! Unfortunately for me, or maybe ultimately fortunately, my husband didn't see it that way. He refused to believe he was wrong. He demanded I return to the cave with him and be shackled to the wall, but I refused. I was frolicking in the grass and sunshine, with clear blue skies, fluffy white clouds, birds singing in the trees, the whole thing. And then he packed up the kids in the car and drove away.

Our only car. We only have one car. The next day I didn't hear from him until the evening. He was tired he said, but did I still want them to come back? Being the ever people-pleaser, I internally interpreted his mention of being tired to he didn't feel like driving back that evening. "No, you don't have to," I said. Little did I know this would come back to bite me in the ass, like so many other things. He would later argue I was not fit to have the kids returned to me because I didn't want him to bring them back that night.

I started panicking the next day by late morning when I hadn't heard from him. No kids. He wasn't returning my phone calls or texts. I finally got a hold of him later in the day. "So.. what's going on?" I tried to sound calm about it but I was screaming inside. "Oh, the kids are having a great time here. They don't miss you at all." More words were exchanged. I wanted my kids back, I was done playing his game. Threats were made against me. He'd call police if I tried to go visit them. His relatives were supportive of him. Now I knew this was war. I frantically searched the internet to learn about what I could do. He wasn't coming back.

Legally, there was nothing I could immediately do. DH was within his rights as a parent to take the kids to a relative. The police told me I could only ask them to do a drive by check to see if they were being kept in adequate conditions. My only course of action was to file for divorce with an emergency motion for custody. I won't get into writing about that part here. I made an appointment with the first attorney that had an opening, but it was several days away.

The milk had gone sour. That's what happens when there's no children to drink it and no car to go to the grocery store. I remember slowly dumping out the milk down my sink. Then the fruit went bad. Had to throw it out too. I unthawed a "family size" portion of meat and grilled it for a dinner. I took out the garbage, recycling, and yard waste. I broke up branches that had fallen from the tree overnight and stacked the wood. I did everything that needed to be done to keep things going. I told my neighbor about what was going on. She was sympathetic and brought me a plate of something to eat one evening.. some chicken, rice and potatoes. And some coffee. It was nice to have a proper meal. I couldn't sleep well. I had a few bad panic attacks.

I had become slightly paranoid, I think. I kept checking the windows to make sure they were locked and that the doors were bolted. DH had returned a few days prior to collect all of the children's clothes. There was some screaming at that time. Fast forward several days and I was furiously filling out forms for my attorney. I borrowed my neighbor's car to get there. I was having trouble because I couldn't find all the documents I needed and the numbers. DH controls all the finances and I didn't have the passwords to the accounts. While doing so, DH showed up at the house. He wanted to make sure the bills were still going to be paid. He told me his attorney said I'd only get supervised visitation with the children at best. I was stunned. I didn't understand how it could be.. I wasn't a drug addict, a hooker, or anything like that. There is no legal history whatsoever that would indicate I'm not fit to be a parent. I was just a normal mom, a normal person, who loves their kids. I bring them to the doctor and to the dentist. They're up to date on their shots. I cook dinner and do laundry. I help them with their homework. I discipline them when necessary. I love on them. Normal. But I didn't want to take the chance to find out. I knew DH's family was prepared to spend big bucks on the custody battle. There was no money for me. In fact, we were hundreds of thousands in debt between his student loans and other debt, debt which would be divided between the two of us at the end of divorce. I knew I was beat. You just know.

I folded. I begged to have another chance. After a while, and after consultation from Dh's family, it was decided that I should be given another chance, tentatively. But before I could have the kids brought back to the house I first had to agree to go to the hospital for a mental evaluation. I submitted. I could not have been more humbled.

I was pretty hungry. DH agreed to get me some food first, and then he'd take me to the emergency room and I'd check myself in. I was prepared to be there for a few days.

I was released after several hours, deemed stable by the staff there.

My kids were brought back to me the next morning. I hadn't seen them in days. Most upsetting was to see the baby. She just stared at me for a long time. Did she remember who I was? To me, she seemed a different baby. Her hair was longer, she was crawling around better, saying more sounds. She wasn't wearing her clothes. She was wearing hand me downs from relatives. I took them off of her. My older kids came to me saying they had missed me. It was hard not to cry right in front of them, but I held it in. They didn't need to know I had been through hell.

That was when my husband abandoned me, took my kids and left me stranded, not caring if I had food to eat. All for me openly choosing to not live the rest of my life in the Mormon church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anon70 ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 05:32PM

Good God. I almost threw up reading this. Thank you for sharing what had to be one of the most traumatic experiences of your life. Do you mind me asking what is your current status? and that of your children? Was your family involved/supportive of you in any way?

Date: May 18, 2015 06:09PM

I am currently still married. With no career and a toddler, my best bet is to wait until finances improve, which they have considerably. The situation has improved as well, but I'll never forget. My freedom day draws closer.

Date: May 18, 2015 06:10PM

Also, my nearest relative lives hundreds of miles away. My mom is of little means, but she has already footed my legal fees of over 10k so far.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 05:35PM

Sorry, not right what he did. Get in touch with a local legal service. They will help and let you know your rights. Good luck,,

Posted by: europa ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 05:49PM

This just wrenches my heart. The crimes that are committed in the name of religion and the callous abandonment because you would not believe.

If they really believed they would never have treated you like this. Love one another???? Total hypocrites.

Are things better now?

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 05:50PM

Sorry to hear about this blueberry. Was this recent? Have you found any resolution? I’ve seen similar reactions when secular marriages break down as well. It’s sad to see someone walk off with the children seemingly using them as a weapon to punish the other party. How does that affect the children’s minds? Children aren’t possessions to use as pawns in a mind game, and it’s a shame that your husband used them that way. I hope this is getting resolving. Hugs for you.

Date: May 18, 2015 06:16PM

No, this was a while back. I used to be a regular poster under a different screen name, but when this all went down I had to stop posting here.

His family ARCHIVED AND PRINTED COPIES of everything I posted here, which was considerable, as "evidence" against me (to show my emotional instability). Susan I/S tried to protect me by deleting my posts. As she was frantically scrubbing RfM of all evidence of me, they were doing the archiving and printing.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 05:53PM

Family cruelty is the worst cruelty.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 06:13PM

You must be very very very careful. Don't do ANYTHING that will compromise your situation.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 06:18PM

I am thinking of you blueberry...and sending you good energies and my best wishes to get you through to your freedom day.

:) :) :)

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 06:22PM

Wow, that's quite the ordeal, what with the RfM connection and all. It's too bad to hear 10K hasn't bought you any true resolution yet, that's sad to hear, that's a hefty bill for ... ???

My hopes are for you to be free of this some day. More hugs.

Until then, even more hugs.

Date: May 18, 2015 07:29PM

Yes, I know. The bulk of the bill was for.. (need to choose my words carefully

research against DH's case against me, which invoked an obscure law that has nothing to do with me.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 06:23PM

I am so sorry. How horrible for you! What is your current situation?

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 07:09PM

Your new name is pretty close to your old one. I highly recommend you visit more bible based churches and charities as well as the domestic abuse workers in your town. Make sure the Mormon church is implicated.

Date: May 18, 2015 07:23PM

Yes, you are correct. It's pretty close. Maybe I should change it. Funnily enough a couple months back I was curious so I did a search to make sure there were no lingering mentions of me (in case anyone had mentioned me after I dropped off the face of the earth) and SOMEBODY IMPERSONATED ME as this current screen name, so I just stuck with it. I wonder if that person has been wondering about my posts lately..

And about the local churches here, I tried that. I had high hopes, considering how much it seems main stream Christianity poo-poos on Mormons, but they all counseled I *work it out * with DH. I gave up on religion that day.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 11:33PM

I also recognized you from your story and similar screen name. I've wondered how you are doing, and I hope you'll be careful.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 07:10PM

I'm sorry you're still going through this. I can only hope you've gotten stronger because the rest of it purely sucks.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 07:16PM

Blueberry if you were one of my children, or a friend or a

relative I would have gone to the people who did this to you

and your children and beat the everliving crap out of them.

I read your story in horror. What they did to you was beyond

cruel, beyond abusive, beyond anything that a human husband

shoud be capable of doing. People who do these things are

truly incapable of love.

I hope with all my heart that you and your children are out

of that situation and in a safe place. You can't live like

that, neither can your children.

Please let us know how things are going for you. No one

should have to suffer that shit.

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 08:11PM

I've not been on this board very long, but to a person, no matter how we whine when it goes down, I think we could all do without while an "emergency purge" was being ran.

That's all the main page need say. That a poster was being attacked, be patient while the cleaning activity is performed.

What you describe is custodial interference, maybe even parental kidnapping. It reminded me of "Not Without My Daughter," circa '80s film.

Financial and emotional abuse are not limited to Mormons, but control freaks in general. Your case doesn't have to center around religion. I hope you are documenting somewhere.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 09:24PM

I agree.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 09:53PM

Be very cautious... There should be aid available to help you get started with a basic career to support yourself. Do something with a trajectory such as a quick medical assisting course, leading to hospital clerical/admitting or continue into nursing. Those with control want to remain in control.

Is there an atheist legal fund for religious abuse/coercion? Use a library computer under a different name to search for assistance. Tell them you are in danger and they will help you. A shelter would take the same precautions.

You and your children will make it through this. You are strong and have survived against such terrible circumstances. Do little kind things for yourself. One day you will be free.

((Hugs for strength))

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 10:05PM

Thanks so much for the update. I remember when you were posting as this happened, and then you disappeared. I've only been on sporadically since then and wondered what I missed.

You have my best wishes. I hope you get out soon.

Is it safe for you to post this now? Even under a slightly different name, your identity must be very obvious to his family.

Posted by: Annonny ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 10:35PM

I remember this.... I would suggest scrubbing of current postings because for those of us that remember your former handle its easy to put 2n2 together... Be very careful. Best thoughts for you. Get a new handle and don't post too much of your background.... I've only been here 1.5 yrs but I could figure it out...

Hugs

Posted by: ohdeargoodness ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 11:09PM

Ugh... I'm so sorry! The things we would do if we were left in a room alone with DH! Hang in there! Be CAREFUL! Hugs, hugs and more hugs!!!

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 11:17PM

I remember following your story back then and I wondered what had happened to you. I hope you nail that bastard in the divorce and be EXCEEDINGLY careful about what you post.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 11:44PM

By your husband's family. Be very careful because this type of harassment is designed to chip away at your sanity and mental/emotional well-being.

Tread with caution, as you are walking down a path surrounded by poisonous vipers on all sides.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 19, 2015 12:15AM

I do hope a bit of time since that wretched event has improved your situation. So many painful decisions to make!

Start getting as tech savvy as you can, being sure to always clean your interner browser.You have a right to privacy.

If I recall, you live in a "blue state," Blueberry? Check out women's services, shelters for single women and women with children. In addition to legal advice, you need a good social worker who knows what resources are out there: food pantries, free meal spots, accessing Oba*acare, etc. etc. Keep all this information in a secure, confidential notebook.

Squirrel away cash whenever and however you can.

Pack "bug-out bags" for you and all your children, with a few days' seasonal clothing, toiletries, diapers, essentials, and a little empty space for last-minute items like favorite toys. Hopefully, you will never need it. (Doesn't LDS recommend that you be prepared for emergencies?) HIDE THEM WELL!

Educate yourself about domestic abuse laws in your state--just in case. If you are in a "blue" state, they are probably tilted in favor of the victim (woman), even if you "provoke" him (or so he might claim).

I assume you're getting more knowledgeable about your family finances--such a painful lesson! Aside from account numbers, log-ons, and passwords, try and get them all joint-custody status. That may be tough. As you unfortunately know, abusive men are experts at using financial dependence as a control mechanism.

You have to live a life "above reproach" lest small indiscretions be exaggerated and used against you. This will be a heck of a burden. If you have religious (albeit not LDS) beliefs, affiliate with an appropriate religious body, which will give you clergy's counseling, fellowship, and things to do with well-adjusted people. Also: You can demonstrate to LDS people (and perhaps a court?) that you have not gone off just so you can "sin," but because of informed, conscientious decisions.

Keep a journal! start by reconstructing the history of things, good and bad, but provide details on his failings, even arguments where he raised his voice (especially in front of the children). This can be used as legal documentation, and will help your memory when/if you need to fill out affidavits, testify, etc. Use a variety of pens and pencils, so it doesn't look like a singular effort. Past details don't have to be precise ("...a week or so after Easter when "X" was about three years old...").

Consider my suggestions, and others, "Blue." They will keep you pro-active and help you avoid depression, depondancy, and feelings of defeat: you're at war, so you're equipping yourself and preparing for battle before the "fog of war" sets in. I've been in combat, and know that preparing for hostilities is very unnerving. But you have to do it, and do it right. And maybe (this happened a lot) "the 'stuff' DOESN"T necessarily hit the fan!"

My heart goes out to you.
My prayers go up for you.

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: May 19, 2015 08:42AM

Thanks again caffiend!

Posted by: optional2(nosigin) ( )
Date: May 19, 2015 09:09AM

So sorry for what you have suffered. My heart goes out to you. Good advice here. Thinking of you always. We care ♥

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 19, 2015 09:22AM

You need to visit http//:www.Talkaboutmarriage.com. There's a great deal of personal experience there people who have walked where you have.

They will be able and pleased to help you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2015 09:24AM by matt.

Date: May 19, 2015 09:49AM

Thank you. Will do.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 19, 2015 10:55AM

Is he cheating on you?

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: May 19, 2015 09:38AM

Heart and Prayers out to you. Stay Safe.

RMM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.