Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 19, 2015 11:01PM

Long ago, when Mormonism was in trouble, our friendly neighbourhood Prophet just communed with Landru (oops I meant Elohim -- there's no difference really) and produced a new revelation to assuage all fears and answer all questions.

The Brethren know they are a bunch of old men in Depends and lack the charismatic chutzpah to pull off a "revelation" in the Information Age. They also know Elohim is not going to come to their rescue.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: superman4691 ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 12:06AM

I have heard in a EQ meeting that once the church was "restored" there's not much more revelation that needs to be imparted.
God works on his time, not mans. We are suppose to look to personal revelation for our needs and questions rather than everything coming from the prophet.

So, with my own personal revelation, I feel inspired in leaving tscc. "Nuff said"

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 12:18AM

Joseph was the "Profit" and everyone up to David McKay was a president of the church. But McKay came in the age of television and liked putting on a show. and have an adoring crowd. Even Cicil b De'Mille was there asking the prophet his opinions in the making of the ten commandments (the longest Hollywood movie in history?).

But the last 'bonefied' revelation that i recall (and correct me if I'm wrong) was the revelation to Woodruff commanding the Mormons to continue Polygamy 1889. When the manifesto was issued that was the end of revelation?

The fundies say that the end of revelation had to do with the manifesto. (they're probably right?)

Date: May 20, 2015 12:24AM

Incidently why isn't Woodruff's 1889 revelation on continuing polygamy in the D&C?...
Too many questions, not enough answers

Date: May 20, 2015 12:27AM

Im not sure, but I thought that blacks receiving the priesthood in 1978 was classified as a revelation at the time. At least that's what I remember the discussion at the time was between my grandparents and parents.

Date: May 21, 2015 12:48AM

The revelation on blacks wasn't a revelation in the sense that God talks and talks and has something to say to a prophet like the D&C. In Mormon Hierarchy Extensions of power the history is related very carefully. And what it says is that McKay wondered if the blacks should have the priesthood and God said; "not in his time." Lee was stubborn and said it would take God to command the change (because he didn't want to help them). Kimball decided God had enough time to change his mind, and he was tired of waiting and so he started lobbying the GA's 2 years before he planned to have "the revelation." (There was no revelation, just good decision making)

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 12:29AM

More than once, I heard that there aren't new revelations because the saints aren't fully living the gospel. As soon as they repent and start living all the doctrine and rules that have already been given, then God will reveal more through his prophet.

So, I guess it can be blamed on all the Mormon slackers who still aren't reading the B of M every day and aren't having regular FHE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2015 12:33AM by want2bx.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 09:09PM

my explanation for any aspect of (quantum) MORmON doctUrine: that is ALWAYS the way it is, UNLESS it is not.

However, the most consistent aspects of MORmONISM and MORmON doctUrine are; A.LYING, B. MORE LYING, C. When things are not working out, it is ALWAYS somehow the member's fault. D. MORE LYING

You noted a trend: the slow down in direct revelation since Joe Smith.

That is because the MORmON breathUrine noticed a trend too: that of the more that a MORmON prophet talked about communing with MORmON Jesus, and practiced polygamy, and lied about practicing polygamy, then the more likely he was to end up dead. Various forms of remedy were attempted for this situation, all with limited success, MOST AMUSINGLY all still in action in very limited form, until MORmONISM ended up in its current situation that you mentioned.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 12:36AM

When I was a teenager my sister had the Beatles single "Revolution." My cousin really liked the song and would say,"Don, play Revelation."

That's the closest I've come to hearing one.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 01:15AM

Some funny stuff folks.

But....in my not so humble opinion, you've all missed the boat. No new rev's is due to the simple fact that the Lord is waiting for just the right time to send a second Joey. He has been saving him for the last, the very, very, very, truly, absolutely, for sure LAST DAYS.

And, only God knows when those days will come, donchaknow? You know how He likes to keep secrets, you know how He cut off your memory of Blissful Heaven And All, so how dispicable that you DARE to ask this question.

Beware! Now you might be having a rev from someone that you have been taught to fear, but obviously have not feared enough.

(scary sounds)....Pleasant dreams.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2015 01:16AM by presleynfactsrock.

Date: May 20, 2015 01:40AM

You may be right about a very, very special prophet to come along, because my ultra-uber TBM MIL has received a personal revelation that her grandson, (my nephew), will be a very, very special GA/leader of the church that is destined to help preside over Christ's second coming, and it is her special mission to help raise and prepare this golden child for his prophetic duties later in life.

Right now, the spoiled brat is only 15, so we have some waiting to do.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 01:58AM

Well, who knows? The JoD and D&C were supposed to be a fluid articles of revelation and prophecies. Constant change, adding and tweaking of the gospels and principles was to be continuous.

However the Corp started hiding and getting rid of the JoD and History of the church, and Teachings of Joseph Smith. They may now claim that "This is the new Prophecy and Revelation" that those older leaders were speaking as men. To use the TBM phrase, "A living Prophet trumps a dead one everytime!"

Just for laughs let's check out some of the past and present prophecies that haven't happened. (Note: This is a TBMs site, it's funny but a window into how members [I was one once] think and what their motives are.)
http://ldslastdays.com/

I mean Wilford Woodruff was always seeing spirits; and Lorenzo Snow was always talking to Jesus face to face... So what did happen? Joseph F. Smith? David O. Mckcay? Spencer W. Kimball was the only who has revealed anything real, after Stanford University and other colleges were going to boycott playing B.Y.U. because of their stance on Blacks, Suddenly God decides he likes Blacks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2015 02:16AM by dydimus.

Posted by: xdman ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 11:10AM

We haven't studied the Book of Mormon hard enough. Study harder. Study harder.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 12:01PM

There is nothing to reveal when the church knows nothing, believe nothing, and can do nothing, but see 5 centimeters/ two inches in front of its nose.

Posted by: paulsal ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 08:45PM

and just what old revelations were actually true?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 20, 2015 10:32PM

There weren't any real ones back in JS's time either...

RB

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.