Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rt ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 05:40PM

So I have a Twitter account. 44 followers, basically whenever I tweet, I'm talking to myself. Fine by me, I just schedule a bunch of historical tweets by date (kinda like "On this day in Mormon history) and every now and then, I tweet about something I read on the net. On average, about 20 tweets a month

Whenever I tweet something about Mormonism, the social media advisor to the Area Presidency (at least that's what he calls himself on his blog) makes a "corrective" tweet. Not with facts or anything, he just keeps repeating that I'm an ex-Mormon who provides false information. Yes, I did try to ask him which information was false but I'm still waiting for an answer which does not involve name-calling and blanket dismissals.

The funny thing, though, is that he used to be somewhat of a politician and has 6,500+ mostly non-Mormon Twitter followers. Whenever I "reach" my audience of 44 (half of which are Russian and Nigerian fake accounts), he goes alerting his audience of 6,500+

Wham bam, thank you m'am.

Also, it makes him look like a complete fool. Sometimes I play with the troll a bit and we both come off as complete fools. Thing is: I have nothing to sell so I don't care. The general idea people are taking away from such flame wars is that Mormons are crazy - not that Mormons are normal and anti-Mormons are evil liars.

Another thing he hasn't learnt yet is the first law of crisis management: don't rub a stain.

The Scientology documentary aired over here two days ago from 11pm to 1 am. I tweeted a bit about the parallels with Mormonism but it's 1 am on a weekday so who's listening, right? Anticipating that my troll will revive these tweets at his earliest convenience, I also prepared a few answers to his "rebuttals" (it's not hard to predict what a Mormon is going to say).

Sure enough, today during prime time, he starts to address my tweets and send his "rebuttals" to his 6,500 followers. I set two traps that he walked right into (you know, quote stuff from lds.org, let him refute that and then send the link). He's quiet now. For the time being.

God, Mormons are stupid.

Anyway, sometimes I can be a real baby and like to play with dolls, er, I mean trolls. Maybe the church people monitoring this board can reign him in?

P.S. It's not Juan Valdez but you have my moniker on file so I'm sure you can figure it out, guys. Pay Lay Ale!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2015 05:45PM by rt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 05:47PM

It's been a decade or so since I used to engage with morglodytes on a regular basis. It was enjoyable, but it just got old so I do it a lot less now. On multiple occasions I would have friends read me arguing with some morgbot and they would tell me I'm not going to "de-convert" him. (Not being sexist, it was almost always, maybe always, a male.)

My reply was , well duh. I'm not trying to, I'm speaking to everyone else reading the thread, not the morgbot.

Posted by: siflbiscuit ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 08:33PM

What the hell is pay lay ale supposed to mean anyway? I never went thru the temple, I kept being turned down every time I asked to go.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 11:17PM

Oh God, hear the words of my mouth. (in the pure Adamic language)

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 11:25PM

Adamese for "Oh God, hear the words of my mouth." Repeat 3 times while raising hands in air and lowering.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 09:55AM

Be very careful though, because in the temple ceremony it is Lucifer who answers that summoning.

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 10:00PM

(smiling as I read this)

"Whenever I "reach" my audience of 44 (half of which are Russian and Nigerian fake accounts)"

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 10:30PM

As long as he keeps biting, you should consider yourself as having 6544+ "followers." No sense letting that stain go to waste.

Date: May 22, 2015 06:47AM

Good point.

He keeps at it, by the way. Yesterday, he said I was an anti-Mormon providing false information and he pointed the non-Mormon whose thread he broke into to mormon.org.

I replied that this is why on my site, you find a bibliography and on mormon.org just flashy propaganda flicks.

Predictably, he dismissed the bibliography as a list of anti-Mormon literature.

I then tweeted that I estimated that 75% are Mormon publications (it's 70%, I counted last night) and that he probably read less than 10% of it (he's only been a member for 4 years).

To which he replied that I underestimate what he read.

So I called his bluff and asked which publications he read and if they were only church ones or others as well.

This was then retweeted by the non-Mormon in the thread to his 762 non-Mormon followers.

This is where we stand now. My prediction is that he will do 1 of 2 things: drop out of the discussion or start name-calling. Probably the second. Last time he backed himself into a corner like this he said he didn't want to talk to me anymore. Only to comment on every one of my tweets that is picked up by non-Mormons.

It's time I found a job...

Date: May 27, 2015 10:32AM

Right, he now blocked me from the church's Facebook page. I never post there, but a few days ago, he said (on the church's behalf) that "Meet the Mormons" was an independent documentary. When someone pointed out that the church produced it, he admitted that and said the church produced it, but the director was a "regular documentary maker".

So here is what I said that got me banned: "The director Blair Treu is also a Mormon".

That's all. Banned. He must be having serious issues...

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 09:13AM

What's your moniker? I am on twitter, part of the #apostake If I don't follow you I for sure will man.

ALSO, when ever you get shit from Mormons, just add the apostake tag and we will all see it. I do that when Juan comes around. But lately I just give Juan a lot of love. Ask if he wants to hang out and all that. For some reason he doesn't know what to say lol.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 04:15PM

I just found and followed you on Twitter, geekmeister! If you see a follower that is my e-mail address before the @, that's me.

I'm glad to learn about #apostake. Thanks!

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 02:54PM

Oh yeah I knew it was you once you followed me Moose.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 04:32PM

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 09:59AM

Every time he intrudes, just wish him health in the navel and marrow in the bones. As a bonus, you can reveal the entire source of that quotation to anyone you might have confused by simply linking the YT video.

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 05:30PM

So this guy accuses you of lying on a public forum, calls you a purveyor of false information.

1. Lawyer up, demand a retraction and financial damages - you want the retraction in writing published publicly to his followers - and the press. Or you go to court and prove you told the truth and blow him up that way.

2. Use the PR to help the exmo cause - it will show mr politician gets slammed and that your statements were factual.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 02:59PM

I'm pretty sure "If the LDS church were made up, would you want to know?" fits into 140 characters

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 03:49PM

Time for you to tweet about the CES letter.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 06:38PM

Block them and report them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.