Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kettlecorn ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 11:10PM

Women can still look respectable and classy without the Mormon standard of dress...even more so. Good riddance dressing for the church first and me second! Goodbye trying to make trendy outfits work...but looking weird in the end...looking 20 years older. out with the old and in with the new!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 11:16PM

I did that too. It felt better than getting rid of the icky undies.
No more mormon church appropriate clothes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2015 12:02AM by madalice.

Posted by: ohdeargoodness ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 11:47PM

I realized I was really recovering when I could look at outfits and not wonder if g's wouldn't show with them! Congratulations!

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: May 21, 2015 11:51PM

The Duggar look is not too fashionable these days.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 12:45AM

Brigham Young's wives called; they want their frumptastic clothes back.

Want to look younger? Wear clothing that actually fits your body, and doesn't need to hide a scuba suit.

It is so sad to see young women in clothes their great-grandmas could wear. It is an insidious method of control and lowers their feelings of self worth with each ridiculous, hot layer they pile on.

Congrats on the new wardrobe! You must feel like a new person. Don't listen to the haters; they know you look twenty years younger!

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 04:31PM

Has anyone ever told you you write well? Yes?

Add me to that list!

;^)

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 01:21AM

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 02:20AM

The only long dresses I'll wear these days are maxi dresses because they show off my shoulders. The idea of wearing a cap sleeved shirt under them was only popular outside of Mormonism for about a year or so in the mid 90's.

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 04:03AM

I gave up pantie hose--those hot, uncomfortable things that would run and cost me $5.00 for one wearing. I remember stuffing my garments down through the tiny waistband, and they left a lump, like I had a spare tire. I was always hot in the summer. When I quit the cult, I threw out all my pantie hose. I have a few long dressy skirts, and wear thigh-highs with them.

When I decided to stop wearing dresses, I decided to also stop going places that required women to wear dresses. IMO, that shows a sexist attitude. "Your son's farewell? I won't be there. Don't have a dress."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 05:44AM

Every now and then I look at the panty hose bags in my dresser drawer like they are some sort of ancient relic. It's like I've forgotten about them completely. I'll never forget the very warm spring in my elementary school when I started to realize that none of the teachers ever wore panty hose -- just skirts and sandals. It's like women collectively decided to pitch the stupid things. It was so freeing!

I remember my days working an office job in NYC. Some mornings a brand-new pair of hose would rip as I was putting them on -- a few dollars that I didn't have, down the drain. I remember madly dabbing on clear nail polish to stop a run. And I remember that zinging sensation you would have when you were just getting a run. Fun times.

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 04:05AM

I did that too! Got rid of the frumpy "cute" stuff and updated my closet. I look back now and wonder how I thought the old stuff was 'cute." Conditioning I guess..

Posted by: CristiB (AKA frtl mrtl) ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 04:45AM

And absolutely love my sleeveless tops. Here in HOT_HUMID Texas, I don't understand how I was able think I was comfortable in the long sleeves!

My problem is that, as much as I like off the shoulder and cap cap sleeves, my husband insists that he doesn't like to see women's shoulders!

OMG, have I said I'm looking forward to our living apart for the next year or two?

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 07:28AM

LOL I just did the same thing. I had an office party to go to a few weeks ago and tried on a few of the dresses that I used to wear to church. I'd actually made them myself.

My Dad went, "Um, no." I looked like an FLDS polygamy wife in those dresses. I didn't want to say that to my TBM friend, so I kept saying that I looked like a pioneer.

She kept trying to understand what I meant. I said it was just really old-fashioned and ... okay, it makes me look like a polygamy wife."

She said, "Oh, you mean Duggars?" I said, "Yeah, okay, yeah."

I chucked them all. Now I don't own any dresses. I wore black pants and a nice shiny top to the party and I fit in just fine.

Posted by: siflbiscuit ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 09:38AM

I do still have skirts just in case, and sometimes in the summer, they're definitely cooler. I have always loved tank tops though, especially when I had the lovely shoulders for them. I need to work out some to get those back lol.

Posted by: crookedletter ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 10:22AM

I work in my yard a lot on these hot summery days. I was so glad yesterday that I could wear tank tops and shorter shorts without guilt (and no farmer's tan lines!). My poor mom must have been miserable in her younger days when she'd work in her gardens with one piece garments under knee length shorts and baggy shirts.

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 10:45AM

i still love wearing dresses now that I'm out but on MY terms. i have a whole collection of lovely formals that I wear out on dates and to parties and the best part is that I picked them because i liked the style and color and the way I looked in them, not because I had to cover ugly regulation underwear. The mormon meeting clothes have been pitched, last LDS funeral I went to I wore one of my job interview outfits (slacks, blouse, flats) I'm a jean/tank top girl 90% of the time but when I'm out with my hubby I love to dress up.

everytime I get ready to go out in my backless silk dress I think to myself how lucky I am to have found my way out.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 11:34AM

I wear strappy tanks and funky jewelry with them, and also pierced and tattooed, so there is no way you'll ever mistake me for a Molly. It ends up looking like a bohemian-punk-goth hybrid of fashion. The only hosiery I like to wear are colourful tights and patterned hosiery like fishnets.

I can't imagine doing summers in all those layers down here in NM. It would be even worse in a humid environment.

Date: May 22, 2015 08:30PM

I love the whole bohemian-punk-goth look! Had I been allowed to dress how I wanted in high school I'd have experimented all over the place with those types of styles. I'm almost 36 and have a dream to dye my hair purple. I did try once but it turned out bad, so I'd rather get it done professionally. I also really want a tattoo but I'm scared lol.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 08:39PM

So I decided to incorporate all three into my wardrobe. Becoming a jewelry designer has helped with accessorizing Amusingly enough, when I work in a professional/conservative environment, people assume I'm shy, conservative, and prude.

I too, tried to dye my hair purple, but the bleaching process wrecked my hair, so I'll wait until my hair goes all gray or white before I try again. If you're not sure on a tattoo,yu can always get one later. :)

Date: May 22, 2015 09:11PM

I know what I want and where. It's the pain I'm scared of

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 06:18PM

The men of the world thank you. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.