Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: doubtingLDS ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 06:40PM

Or is everything in this church repent, repent, repent? Repent for having your morning coffee, repent for having natural sexual urges, repent breathing incorrectly.

Do we ever celebrate our faith? Or..former faith for this board.

Or are we constantly striving for a prefection that will never be good enough. Wash. Rinse. Repent for not washing correctly. Repeat. For eternity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 06:54PM

Well, in all fairness, they do talk a lot about pay, pay, pay. Tithing, fast offering, mission savings, Scouting fund raisers, time, genealogy, callings ... give and sacrifice everything to God. Then repent because you probably did it wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2015 06:55PM by CA girl.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 07:23PM

Celebrate? Well, we see it for what it is. Our (former) faith would double the yield of every garden on Earth if you could apply it like normal horse poop.

You are being used and abused because you give your power to authorities who (by any rational measure) don't have your best interests at heart. The history of Mormonism is a smorgasbord of morbidly fascinating case studies in abnormal psychology. The obvious frauds pop out at you once you open your mind.

Just today I was thinking of how stupid "reformed Egyptian" is. Not only can no modern Egyptologist make any sense of it, but the semantic content of Isaiah as expressed in "reformed egyptian" miraculously matches that of the Jewish Hebrew version, complete with the grammar and spelling errors of the 1769 KJV bible. Luckily for Joseph, Jewish expatriates hated their own language so much they adopted Egyptian and then changed it enough to make it unrecognizable to Egyptians, because they didn't really like the Egyptians either.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 07:33PM

That reminds me of a singles dance I went to one New Year's Eve back in my hometown of Idaho Falls, Idaho.

I was still a young adult, and everyone there was quite serious. That seemed *normal* to me, having grown up in that environment.

Than a middle-aged woman walked up to me, with her husband, both visiting from South America. And they were Catholic. Kind of out of place there. Not sure if they were investigating the church, or what?

But she remarked to me how somber and pitiful the group was there that night. There was no jubilation, or joy, or anticipation for the New Year's. It was like Deadsville, that's how hushed folks were. They may as well have been at a funeral.

When she remarked to me, I realized she was right. Sometimes it takes an outsider to see through the facade. And I was so conditioned to believing that atmosphere was normal, I'd forgotten how to feel what was normal and customary, such as joy and celebration for a festive event.

Celebrate the time, come on! There's a party going on ....

:D

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 08:58PM

This is the strategy to keep their members in line. Guilt is used in all arenas of their lives keeps independent thoughts or actions buried. They guilt them with the loss of their families if they don't keep every mundane rule. Repent and report every mistake. Then shame the hell out of them for saying anything. Gulit is a powerful tool and the LDS leadership utilize it in everything.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 09:00PM

The whole religion is filled with way too much intrusion all the way around. Do this, don't do that, think this, don't think that, dress like this, not like that, go here, not there, and on and on. Too much time spent subjected to other people who claim authority over you. Totally pointless. And all in the name of faith.
Ahh..not so fast.
Do we really need any of that? I don't.

Posted by: xdman ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 06:21PM

Fear Obligation and Guilt: FOG. They cloud the mind.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.