Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 12:31PM

We are facing more rain today. Here in the DFW area we have had rain for twenty out of the last twenty-two days and before the end of the month we should record the wettest May in the history of weather record keeping. I would wish some of this rain on California but I am afraid all of the hillside homes would end up in the valleys and ravines. At least our drought has finally subsided. I guess all those prayer requests for rain did something and now the folks requesting those prayers are asking for the rain to stop. Hey, I guess it is either flood or drought. What are you going to do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 02:56PM

ya ~ feels you bro ~ we be strapping on the water wings down here in Houston

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 04:30PM

Here is the link to the Texas Drought Monitor as of May 19th.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?TX

The storm of th past week will change this. The loss of life and property is very sad. So many Texans still think that god is watching over them. IMO god is missing in action.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 10:11PM

The saddest thing is when, after a disaster of this magnitude, true believers (TB) invoke the "will of God" blather to justify their beliefs. If you were a TB and one of the unfortunate souls who lost their life, you'd have wondered where your God was as you took your last breath.

RB

Posted by: amyslittlesister ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 05:49PM

Someone on FB was praising HEB (San Antonio-based grocery stores) for donating and volunteering to help affected people in Hill Country and elsewhere. A TBM friend on FB commented, "I'm sure the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is also helping out!" I commented, "Money from Salt Lake? Really?"

Didn't hear anything back.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 06:02PM

"I would wish some of this rain on California but I am afraid all of the hillside homes would end up in the valleys and ravines."

Well, for the last few years, thousands of Californians have been escaping and moving to Texas, so maybe California won't need all those houses. :-)

It amuses me somewhat that those supposedly intelligent, enlightened Californians keep on building those million-dollar houses on hillsides, only to see them wash downhill every coupla years.

"Hey, I guess it is either flood or drought. What are you going to do?"

You do what other living organisms have been doing for millions of years: adapt and survive. Droughts and floods have been around for millions of years. Humans have been in Texas only about 10,000 years. Mother Nature calls the shots; we just have to deal with it.

Hell, the USA region wouldn't even be inhabited by humans today if the globe didn't warm enough to melt the glaciers 12,000 or so years ago, which allowed Asians to migrate here. We need to drop the attitude that climate or weather on this planet are things that are supposed to be, or ever were, permanent or unchanging.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 11:30PM

texas lost 1.6% population.
california lost 1.4%

In the mean time california added more people than did texas.

Posted by: Transitioningout ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 09:52AM

No. We need to drop the ignorant assumptions that climate change is not manmade and/or nothing can be done to fix this problem.

Date: May 28, 2015 05:01PM

"No. We need to drop the ignorant assumptions that climate change is not manmade and/or nothing can be done to fix this problem."

What man-made activity caused the glaciers to melt 12,000 years ago, which allowed North America to be populated today?

Posted by: transitioningout ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 09:14PM

Well that's a silly question that has no bearing on the fact that the use of fossil fuels is contributing to global warming today. But do try again. By the way, even the crazy Kochs acknowledge the influence of humans now so you are even behind them.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 09:40PM

randyj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> What man-made activity caused the glaciers to melt
> 12,000 years ago, which allowed North America to
> be populated today?

“Milankovitch theory describes the collective effects of changes in the Earth's movements upon its climate. Milanković mathematically theorized that variations in eccentricity, axial tilt, and precession of the Earth's orbit determined climatic patterns on Earth through orbital forcing.”

That’s where what happened 12,000 years ago is accounted for.

“Anthropogenic forcing from increased greenhouse gases might outweigh orbital forcing for as long as intensive use of fossil fuels continues.”

That’s what’s happening now.

The current rate of heating is far outside of what has occurred through mere orbital forcing in the past, it is more in line with what geology and other sciences show us happened during massive greenhouse heating events from past cataclysms in earth’s history.

Since we’ve had no massive volcanic eruptions to account for the current accumulation of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere, and since calculations about greenhouse effects from CO2 have been well understood since the 1800’s (and they didn’t even used to be considered controversial), that lends rational scientists to the conclusion that the current temperature forcing (beyond the norm of regular orbital forcing) is indeed caused by anthropogenic forcing through the burning of millennia worth of carbon contained in fossil fuels over a short few hundred years.

There really is no argument about this anymore amongst scientists. There are, however, lots of denial theories such as sunspots, natural cycles, scientists raking in billions off of some scam they're pulling, and even eyewitness reports of snow on the ground. The arctic had an ice cap right through the last 20,000 year cycle, and before that, and before that, for at least 5 million years. The current heating that is melting the arctic ice cap is not part of that cycle, it's too much beyond its parameters.

The science is in. The extreme warming and the climate change it is bringing is from anthropogenic forcing. Other rapid heating cataclysms have occurred in the past for other understood reasons, however this time, humans are the reason. I’d trust the science over the rumors and one sentence counter explanations derived by energy companies and their special interest groups. Arguing against it is like arguing about the temperature at which water boils given a specific atmospheric condition.

But why did you even bring this up in a thread about a bad rain storm? No one here said the Texas event was because of climate change. Are you suggesting it was?

Posted by: transitioningout ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 12:49AM

And you have it wrong. It was the sequestration of water in glaciers that allowed for the land bridge. Not massive glacier melting.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 12:23AM

We could use some of that El Nino juice in Cali about now.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 08:36AM

Well, I don't have space for a boat....
It's been crazy here in Houston..
Take chances & face the elements as they come....

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 09:54AM

Lake Travis (large lake in Austin) has risen over 20 feet during the month of May. I heard Lewisville Lake (Dallas) is full. All of the rain in Texas reminds me of 2002 when Canyon Lake (San Antonio) could not contain all water and flooded. I was there the next day and the closest hotel room was in Austin 75 miles away.

I wish all those religious people would learn to stop begging for rain. Ha.

By the way - where is FEMA? Where are the Mormons? What Mormon Chapel can I go to for food, shelter and help? I know the Baptist and the Salvation Army are out giving their help. The Red Cross is begging for money like they need it. I expect the Mormons will go cut tree limbs after they get their shirts and TV crews in place. Plus the Stake Presidents have to send a decree for their sheep to show up. How about the Mormons do something good and replace cars and homes that were destroyed by their God and do it without video cameras. Maybe follow their teachings of Christ.

Date: July 23, 2015 03:10PM

All of our lakes are full, and creeks are gushing. I crossed the Ohio River upstream from Cincinnati last Sunday, and there was lots of debris from storms floating down it. I saw a volleyball floating down the river. I called out "Wilson! Wilson!" but it ignored me and floated on downstream.

Posted by: ThatLittleBriggyWentWeeWeeWee ( )
Date: July 23, 2015 06:24PM

:-D

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 08:36PM

Good Luck to you Michael... stay above water ..... let us know what happens.

Posted by: CristiB (AKA frtl mrtl) ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 09:46PM

But, the winds blew off some shingles and by Tues. Afternoon, we had one of our ceilings suddenly fall in.

Somehow the RSP heard, and has offered help in the clean up and repair.

We really aren't that bad off. We didn't have any flooding, only the fence fell down (it's back up), and the ceiling fell in. The roof will be repaired soon, and most of that mess is already cleaned up.

Date: May 29, 2015 12:09AM

It's crazy. Just started raining again tonight and we are also supposed to get rain tomorrow as well. I guess we will be crying when we get to go for a day or two without any precip.

Date: May 29, 2015 09:07AM

Dad gummed dog! I'm sleeping peacefully during another night of flood and at 3:30 this morning I'm awakened by a crying dog needing to go outside to do her business. She really had to go because she did not hesitate to go out in the deluge and do it. Oh, then she thinks it time to play.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 12:55AM

Mother nature is a *insert word for female dog here*!

You are getting flooded. People are drowning. Homes are being destroyed. It is a tragic catastrophe. Meanwhile, here in California, I am bailing bath water out of the tub to water my fruit trees...

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 12:59AM

Nothing quite like dirty bath water to help your fruit trees grow big and juicy.

Hope you were able to wash the gospel of Mormons off your skin.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 23, 2015 03:17PM

michaelc1945 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would wish some of this
> rain on California but I am afraid all of the
> hillside homes would end up in the valleys and
> ravines.

Naw, we can take it -- send it on over! ;-0

> At least our drought has finally
> subsided. I guess all those prayer requests for
> rain did something and now the folks requesting
> those prayers are asking for the rain to stop.
> Hey, I guess it is either flood or drought. What
> are you going to do?

Hopefully, you're going to hang in there. And keep the boat handy! Stay dry my friend.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 23, 2015 06:29PM

Sounds like you're ready for a dry spell. Take care.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.