Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: June 18, 2020 01:47PM

And so it goes...

"Elder Bednar repeatedly acknowledged that the pandemic was an emergency on a global scale, but he said the governmental restrictions on religious gatherings were extraordinary and that democratic peoples must not become accustomed to “sweeping assertions of governmental power.”

###

12th... We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

###

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/6/17/21293354/latter-day-saint-apostle-elder-david-a-bednar-pandemic-religious-freedom-byu-mormon-lds

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 18, 2020 02:15PM

The restrictions are on gatherings, especially ones where groups of people sit in close quarters for extended periods.

The virus couldn't care less the purpose of the gathering. Neither should the government. Neither should Bednar. Bednar of course has a conflict of interest.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 18, 2020 04:38PM

Brother of Jerry is right,of course.

But if Zealot Bednar wants to lead the sheeple right over the cliff into the yawning maw of the Corona Virus, that's on him - and on them for buying and drinking the Kool-Aid.

This will have the net effect of reducing the global population by a small per cent, so maybe something good will come of it.

Please forgive me for sounding gloomier than usual today. The whole mess - the pandemic, the Orange Maniac in American politics, everything - just seems to be closing in on me and all I want to do is curl up and sleep. And being retired, I can.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 18, 2020 08:00PM

Catnip, you don't have to sleep. Just watch the Koala live feed. It even has night vision so you can watch 24/7. From time to time you can even see Cassowaries in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzl5MYQ4x8c

The problem with people meeting in large groups is that it doesn't stay in the group. They go out into the community and spread to everyone else. Or if it is a meeting where people travel in, a LOT of communities as they travel back out. You can't have a peeing section in the pool. It gets all over everyone. Bednar is an irresponsible dumb ass.

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2020/06/coronavirus-outbreak-linked-to-eastern-oregon-church-surpasses-200-cases.html

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 18, 2020 05:08PM

But sweeping assertions of religious powers are so much better.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 18, 2020 05:25PM

Heck sakes Bednar. Use those Apostolic Powers and cast the Covid out so Mormons can meet. We'd all be grateful.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 18, 2020 05:31PM

It's like he's never heard of Zoom meetings. Perhaps a young person can give Elder Bednar a technology tutorial.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 18, 2020 06:16PM

? Did he consult with Reverend Oaks?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 18, 2020 07:14PM

oh so indicative of the great power held by the top 15

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 18, 2020 07:43PM

When the apostles try to sound like statesmen, they come across as self-interested buffoons.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 19, 2020 05:14PM

Speaking on behalf of enlightened buffoons, I take offense!

Plus ... PLUS: I haven't had a haircut in a long while and I am about ready to sport a bouffant!!!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 20, 2020 05:12PM

A bouffant?

Dye your hair red and then everyone will think you are Peg Bundy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2020 06:58PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Summer Solstice ( )
Date: June 20, 2020 04:21AM

It's a mad world when you can't go to church, but massive crowds are allowed to wander around the place. Seems a bit of a double standard. The Onion or whoever it was, even did a joke article where they suggested churches pretend they are holding protest meetings to get round the ban.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 20, 2020 04:58AM

Church services held outside with tear gas probably would get around the ban. Just imagine how many crying testifiers there would be at F&T meeting! Everybody could be an Eyring

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 20, 2020 11:15AM

BeenThereDunnThatExMo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And so it goes...
>
> "Elder Bednar repeatedly acknowledged that the
> pandemic was an emergency on a global scale, but
> he said the governmental restrictions on religious
> gatherings were extraordinary and that democratic
> peoples must not become accustomed to “sweeping
> assertions of governmental power.”
>
> ###
>
> 12th... We believe in being subject to kings,
> presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying,
> honoring, and sustaining the law.
>
> ###
>
> https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/6/17/21293354/l
> atter-day-saint-apostle-elder-david-a-bednar-pande
> mic-religious-freedom-byu-mormon-lds
>
> Or so it seems to me...

One must also acknowledge the 11th Article of Faith

"We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may."

Why does one have to sit thru 3 hours of ceremonies when one could go out into the mountains and marvel at God's creation and with the love of one's family?

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: June 20, 2020 05:06PM

The church did the same thing during the Great Depression and demanded that members not take any government money even if they were hungry.

This is actually why the church welfare system came to be. It didn't actually fully get started until a couple years after the depression. (Big help!)

But keeping the saints at the mercy of the Q15 has always been top priority.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: June 20, 2020 06:53PM

He wants his "freedom" but doesn't like when others are highly informed, deeply thoughtful, or have free agency, and exercise it.

Mormonism is an 'oxy-morMon' ("do what we say but don't say what we do" [or DON'T do]). Talk about a pyramid scheme. The "government" is hampering our ability to govern, prod, and stymie our followers.

We don't take anything from government (directly) - it is the people (we take from) - and we give nothing (literally) to the people.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.