Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 03:36PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moose ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 03:39PM

Since ol' Horny Joe's time.

ETA: That's eight, to be explicit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 04:26PM by moose.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 03:39PM

Eight.

Edit, I forgot about the dead people I never knew. Four of the eight generations are currently living.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 03:50PM by madalice.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 03:54PM

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 04:06PM

Depends on the line - I think 7 is the most, maybe 8, 3 is the shortest.

Do I get bonus points for being a laminate too?

Posted by: Anon... ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 04:16PM

Two. My parents were converts in the 70's.

As for my TBM wife, eight. They like to boast that ALL of their g-g-g-g-grandparents were Mormon pioneers. Makes me wonder if there's any hope of if she, and my kids, are genetically predisposed to delusion.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 04:17PM

7 on dad's side, 8 on mom's.
My dad was the first in the lines to bail on it.
I was the second. Now there are more :)

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 04:17PM

In my family, it's turtles all the way down.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 10:51AM

We go back to Nauvoo. That is, some of us do. I myself will never go back.

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 04:18PM

3 including me on my father's side.

Mother's side..since the pioneers...could care less how far back

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 04:18PM

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 04:36PM

Well, the family legend is that an ancestor was "in jail with Joe Smith." I have Phelps ancestors. Fortunately for me, other lines of ancestry included fiercely independent Irishmen, Germans and Nordics who were inclined to reject authority, both religious and secular.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 04:38PM by rationalist01.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 04:42PM

13 or 14 by now, since my Dad's ancestors converted in Hartford, Ct. back in the mid 1800's. Lots of TBM's in Utah are related to me. I don't know if I'm the first one to actually resign, but I might be. If anyone knows any Burr's in Utah who are inactive, send them my way.

Ron Burr

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 05:10PM

Only 2-3 or 4 generations on my side of the family. My dad was the first and only member on his side. My mom's dad was the first and only one of his family, but her mother's family joined when my grandmother was 10 or 11 years old...around 1920.

Several lines on hubby's side go back to the beginning of the church or at least Nauvoo...one ancestor was a "bodyguard" for Joseph Smith...so like 7-8 generations for him.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 05:27PM

Six generations, straight back through the Allreds. Fortunately, my little twig somehow ended up with the mainstream church. Things could have been worse.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 05:38PM

On my mom's side, 2 generations. On my dad's, at least 7.

Posted by: CristiB (AKA frtl mrtl) ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 06:35PM

I too have "body guards" to the prophets stories. But, have a direct line to BY.

8 Generations on my Mother's side (I make 9). 7 on my father's side.

My husband is 7th generation from JS - but the church denies that lineage - on his mother's side. His father was the first of a LONG line of Catholics.

Interesting thing:

Husband & siblings (a total of 5): 1 OUT, 1 (dh) inactive, fighting not believing. The rest are still drinking the kool-aid. So much so that an older sister and hubby are going to be sealed this next week.

Myself & Siblings (also a total of 5): Me out (with 8 kids, 2 grands), 1 brother out (with 3 kids, 2 1/2 grands). 1 Sister OUT (with 4 kids). Two other siblings who, depending on who's around and what day it is, admit to not believing but staying for family (yet of their combined 9 kids, two are openly OUT) are on their way out, but still bask in the kool-aid

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 06:38PM

In and out in one generation. Yahoo!!!

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 06:46PM

In our family we don't even have six generations since 1830, I am only the fourth generation born since 1830 - including those born about that year. That was the time my great-grandparents were born. My maternal grandmother, for example, was born in 1861. The fault was with me. I am a first generation Mormon. I have no prior connections to blame for my error. Yet, without that error, I would know much less about the falsity of Moism and I would not have solved some crimes.

ADDING: 10 of our 12 children are still TBMs and 29 of 31 grandchildren are born to those 10.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 06:49PM by rhgc.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 06:48PM

Half of the tree was raised up in Vermont as part of the Smith branch.

The other half was spawned by Briggy's personal intervention in Manti and grew to fruition in Colonia Diaz.

A couple of MMM perps have also sullied my personal DNA.

Rather than hang my head in shame for my kinship to such a despicable lot, I feel an overpowering urge to smash into the dust of the earth whatever is left of Horny Joe's death cult.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 07:32PM

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 07:35PM

Too Damn

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 09:38PM

This thread made me go look up some stuff in my "book of remembrance". One side went back to about 10 years after TSCC was founded. The son of my revolutionary war vet ancestor was the first to join and his father soon followed. I found copies of patriarchal blessings given to two female ancestors. The blessings were very generic. One was really short, the other longer, but they really didn't say anything. They were given by Hyrum Smith.

I have a cousin or two that might be out or inactive. Half of the childre of one faithful cousin are out. I'm the only one in my immediate family that is out. Wish the others would get a clue. It's a rather huge extended family but most are still faithful. Seems to be that some of the younger generation that is seeing the light.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 09:39PM by formermollymormon.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 09:48PM

Those two brothers just HAD to join a fuggin cult.

Asshats.

oh well.

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 09:55PM

All the way down on my mothers side and none on my fathers side. I got lucky, I guess

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 08:16AM

My wife and I were the first generation infected, but I think our convert genes were faulty because none of our kids got this sickness. Much as we tried to make them ill, their immunity was too strong. After thirty years our infection subsided and, thankfully, we have been recovered now for some twenty years with a very strong immunity to this disease.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 09:06AM

I count back six generations on my dad's side.

At least two sets of 3rd generation great grandparents go back as far as Joseph. One was a polygamist (he *only* had two wives,) who was with Joe & Co. from before Nauvoo. Another was a bodyguard and pony courier to Joe.

GGGranddad fought in the Mormon Militia in Utah. His wife was the daughter of the polygamous ggggramps. Most of them migrated to Utah, no less, following Joe's assassination. I just got through reading how many of them and their children died from cholera while crossing the plains, and later went through famines in southern Utah where some died from starvation. That is heartbreaking to learn. Watching their infant daughter die because her body rejected the alfalfa greens that was all they had to eat for a time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2015 09:13AM by amyjo.

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 09:58AM

I had one ancestor who was very old when she joined. She brought three generations with her back in the Nauvoo days, so I guess my family tree got a jump start at the outset. Including my children, that makes 9 generations. My grandchildren would be generation 10, but none of them are being raised Mormon. Some of them were blessed but non have been baptized. Some are still too young for baptism but I don't think that any of them will get dunked. Of the children of my grandfather, our family was the last of the holdouts to be in. Aunts, uncles and cousins left long ago and my sibs also left. Only my mother remains in and she does it more out of tradition and community than out of belief. There are many extended relatives from that line who continue to be in the church but I'm pretty sure there are a lot who have left also.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 11:00AM

Eight or nine? My parents are great, great grand-parents. Four of their seven children left the church, after missions, studying with Niblets Nibley... One bishop and bishopric... still aboard the Joseph Smith Titanic.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 02:10PM

On my TBM mom's side since Joe Smith's time. For my TBM Dad's side it starts and stops with him.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 02:20PM

Except for my paternal grandfather's line, who converted in the 1870s, my family has been Mormons ever since the 1830s.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 02:25PM

For me, it started and stopped with me, as a hormonal convert. Like most converts, I didn't stay in for very long. On both sides of my blood family, nobody has been Mormon. It's only the family my mom married into that's actually Mormon, and I know of at least 3 generations that were Mormon, although the adult males are mostly inactive Jack Mormons.

I've never had any interest to ask the husbands of my step sisters about their family history, but my youngest step sister is marrying someone whose family in Utah once sold land to the federal government when they wanted to put in a military base there. That family has a street named after them in that town.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2015 02:25PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 03:35PM

Three, and that's three too many.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.