Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 10:21PM

Many exmormons don't believe in the Bible either (such as Richard Packham). The Bible has a lot of rules that we no longer follow. Does this mean that we can practice magic and witchcraft?

It is possible that Biblical religious leaders forbade magic and witchcraft because the leaders wanted all power and influence for themselves. They would outlaw it like they would outlaw all other religions.

If magic and witchcraft actually work, and Christianity is not true, then this would radically change the worldview of many people. If magic and witchcraft work, what is the power behind them? It can't be the Christian Satan if Christianity is not true.

The best way to find out if magic and witchcraft work is to study them and try them out yourself.

If you personally found out magic and witchcraft work, you would be more likely to believe in a spirit world and life after death than you would if you stayed away from magic and witchcraft.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CristiB (AKA frtl mrtl) ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 10:46PM

Of course, if you want to study and practice magic and witchcraft, it would be perfectly alright.

When I was TBM, I wanted to study WICCA. I was in a group of midwives that insisted it was EVIL. So, with the Mormon influence, and the group of midwives I was learning from, it was very much frowned upon.

But, when I first decided Mo'ism wasn't all it's cracked up to be, I did some light studying. Honestly, I believe you've hit a nail on the head. The Christian powerful were afraid of the witches and warlocks who know nature well enough that they were able to work spells and provide potions to cure (or cause harm) with more success than the Christian "prayers".

I still turned away from WICCA, because of the worship of 'Mother Earth/Nature'. I do believe we need to care for our planet, but as a deity? I kinda ran the other direction!

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 10:51PM

knock yourself out, it seems that witchcraft is going to be just about as effective as those stupid unmentionable secret handshakes.

Posted by: cpete ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 10:52PM

Practice away.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 10:55PM

just how does one practice magic/witchcraft anyway ?

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 11:35PM

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 10:56PM

No, because it's also bullshit and you'd be wasting your time.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 10:56PM

It is interesting to me the one 'bible expert' (bible answerman) I listen to once in a while said meditation and trying to contact the dead was evil and just opening up people to the devil and his influences.

I sent him an email but never got a response. Go Figure!

Basically, both meditation and contacting your past loved ones in spirit can result in the same thing ------ learning the truth about religion and the bible!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 10:57PM by spiritist.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 10:58PM

Maybe this is germane, maybe it's not: I play golf with a guy who MUST have seven white tees in his pocket when he tees off on the first hole.

He also cannot have any coins in his pocket and he never carries a second ball with him, which for amateurs is just plain silly.

I, on the other hand, have zero golf superstitions.

But I still avoid stepping on cracks in the sidewalk, but I don't sweat it too much when I do hit one. Mom's dead...

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 11:22PM

Not according to your husband, Darren.

Date: May 29, 2015 11:35PM

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 11:31PM

Well doesn't the bible mention witches and witchcraft?

so if you don't believe the bible does that mean you

believe in that one part of it that mentions witchcraft?

But seriously , if you're an adult whats stopping you

from believing in whatever you want to belive?

Go for it.

Date: May 29, 2015 11:54PM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 12:00AM

behindcurtain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If magic and witchcraft actually work, and
> Christianity is not true, then this would
> radically change the worldview of many people.

Sure, but that's an awfully big "if."

> The best way to find out if magic and witchcraft
> work is to study them and try them out yourself.

Actually, the best way to find out if they work is to subject the claims to objective, verifiable tests using the scientific method. And here's the fun part -- a great deal of that kind of testing has already been done. And what all that testing shows: they don't "work." At all. In any way.
So you can save yourself the effort :)

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 12:15AM

" Does this mean that we can practice magic and witchcraft?"

You can certainly try. But what's the difference between Mormon priesthood and 'magic' and 'witchcraft?' It's just a different time-sink and a different way of magical thinking, equally useless for coping with actual problems.

You can seek emotional validation wherever you wish. But if you find witchcraft to 'work,' all you've done is convinced yourself of a different flavor of superstition.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 12:16AM

Go ahead, knock yourself out! I have a little secret you should know, though. Magic and witchcraft are exactly the same as religion. Silly and imaginary.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 01:39AM

So he practices magic all the time.

However, I should add that his magic is the illusionist, entertaining kind. He doesn't get into spells or curses.

He is quite the performer, and as word gets around, more and more people come to watch his act in our local theater. He has been doing this since he was a little kid, and if I say so myself, he is quite good at it. He keeps up an entertaining patter while doing it, and makes it all look so easy!

Certainly not your run-of-the-mill, clock in and clock out kind of job!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 05:05AM

Sure. You can borrow my ex wife's broom.

Actually, witchcraft backfires if you're doing it for selfish reasons, which is usually the case.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 06:27AM

I do not believe in magic. That said, I do think that there may be some wisdom found in looking at other viewpoints. I had a friend who was a witch and he seemed pretty cool. I would go for whatever I am interested in. Why not? Is it a complete waste of time or will the insight gleaned from approaching life from another perspective be worth the effort...?

Good luck.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 07:20AM

You can read and believe any book you choose.

I don't understand why anyone would choose to avoid or embrace a subject because of a reference in the Bible.

Richard P. doesn't dictate what we believe or study. I think he's laugh or be astounded by such an idea.

Time to start using our own brains after being in a confining cult.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 07:33AM

before christianity came along, witchcraft was not witchcraft, it was religion. Some practitioners were better are waging war, some were better at healing, some would 'interpret omens' or use props to foretell possible events. There are still healers working their charms in Ireland (and to a lesser extent Scotland) at the moment, and in other 'christian countries' too, I would imagine. A lot of the ancient healing that was described as witchcraft by catholic priests involved using the name of 'the lord' to compel the force by which the healing was done. (these, mainly women, healers completely undermined the catholic church and so were considered enemies of the catholics)

By some definitions, the 'power of prayer' could be considered similar to working a spell/charm.

If a person starts following a specific school of 'magick', the practitioner is told he/she must learn to acknowledge the 'force' they harnessed to power the action desired. To me, that sounds like the equivalent of 'acknowleging the Lord's hand in all things' as the church promotes. Thus, whenever anyone trusts a 'superstition' (seven white tees, no coins as previously mentioned), or a 'religion', they are using what could be described as 'magick', ie the force behind the action.

The question remains: which force is strongest? The faith in God (through religion, organised or not), or the faith in the 'power/force' behind the working of a spell?

Of course, some might say it is complete hogwash and an invention of the mind. But then, that is the thing about faith, whether it is in magick or christianity or evolution, it is very subjective.

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 09:37AM

I still have a question for you anonuk! My email is public

Date: May 30, 2015 02:41PM

have mailed admin asking that they send you my email

Date: May 30, 2015 02:26PM

anonuk Wrote:
> But then, that is
> the thing about faith, whether it is in magick or
> christianity or evolution, it is very subjective.

Evolution is an observed fact. "Faith" is not involved. If you think it is, you've missed the point entirely.

Date: May 30, 2015 02:43PM

please do not derail the topic with your twisting of the meaning of my words. It's very boring, you know.

Date: May 30, 2015 02:47PM

anonuk Wrote:
> please do not derail the topic with your twisting
> of the meaning of my words. It's very boring, you
> know.

You wrote:
"... the thing about faith, whether it is in magick or christianity or evolution..."

No twisting. Your words. If you don't agree with what you yourself wrote, I suggest choosing your words more carefully.

Date: May 30, 2015 04:18PM

yes, my words - you twisted their meaning to troll me and derail thread. please desist.

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 09:34AM

In my experience practitioners of magick seek to impose their will upon this dimension. (Some) Christians seek to align themselves with the will of God. Some Christians believe "I'm going to heaven because I have accepted Jesus as my lord and savior". They are thus equating themselves with God because their actions in choosing God is what has "saved" them and not God's grace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2015 09:36AM by siobhan.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 10:31AM

This topic is so funny to me. Is ok to switch from believing in magic potions (virgin olive oil) and magic chants (sacrament prayers) and secret cloths (garments) and books on magic (bible) to believing chicken bones, frog legs and dolls with pins will make you more spiritual. Same shlt just packaged differently.

As far as religion goes, the ones where old men get to have sex with really hot girls - is that FLDS? Maybe it was a movie where the female was wearing a witch costume.

Religion is fake no matter how or what the beliefs are except for mine. God (pick your God) will only love you if you send me lots of cash every week. Trust me.

I am Themaster holder of all knowledge and truths.

Send cash ASAP

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 10:46AM

I once dated a girl who was a witch. Well, she rhymed with witch.

Posted by: Swirlything ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 04:14PM

Witchcraft is nothing more than a highly ritualized religion. Spells are nothing more than prayers with props thrown in. If it makes you happy, go for it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.