Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Waterevil ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 11:15PM

How do you expect to get any kind of fundraising if this organization is too ignorant and prideful to work with other religions?

I emailed the person in charge and I got nothing.

It seems to me that this organization is all talk, but when the going gets tough, they dismiss it like TSCC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 11:45PM

That's generally "all talk," too. It lets people who have been hurt, disillusioned, lied to, manipulated, etc, etc - VENT, in a safe place, with others who care about them, understand, and support them.

You got a problem with that?

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 11:45PM

Waterevil Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
"It seems to me that this organization is all talk..."

Well, yeah. That's kind of the point of it.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 11:52PM

Keep coming back, Waterevil, and tell your friends to come read here. There is much truth to be learned.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: May 30, 2015 11:52PM

"any kind of fundraising if this organization is too ignorant and prideful to work with other religions"

Eric has done a semi-annual fundraising to pay for the server and hosting costs. There *is* no other fundraising done. what you see is what you get. The objective is not to get people out of Mormonism (there are other superior sites, like mormonthink.com or cesletter.com, oriented towards that) but to give them a place to discuss their exits and assist others. It may not be pretentious, but it's definitely effective.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 01:33AM

"You guys are going nowhere"

And yet you just can't stay away can you? Hmmm.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 01:40AM

This isn't an organization.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 10:09AM

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 02:06AM

Mormonism is a unique pathology. We needed our own group therapy.

Although it's a mixed bag, some of the most highly evolved humans you'll ever meet are here on RfM.

Posted by: Jesse ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 02:37AM

This guy is joking, right? This isn't an organisation and this is not a religion. We are survivors of a cult. Quit your trolling.

Posted by: anonrit3n0w ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 12:49PM

i maintain he/she is on drugs. They may be the legal prescription kind but still drugs. Only someone high could look at what this is and see what waterevil sees.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 02:52AM

You see, this is a very diverse group. We do not have any desire to all go to the same place. In fact some of us are quite happy where we are.
It is not the purpose of this board to join with other religions to get people out of Mormonism as you seem to think. If you have read here for very long, you will know that there is simply NO universal agreement here regarding the topic of religion. Your wish is simply unrealistic.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 02:53AM

It figures this guy would only see things in terms of organizations that want to grow wealth, expand in size, and increase their influence. I wonder where he got those sorts of ideas from?

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 03:25AM

Also we aren't a religion here, so how could we work with "other" religions? and what would we work towards?

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 03:27AM

"Us guys" are already where we want to be, that is, out of the cult and helping other people who are exiting the cult.

Deal with it!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 03:30AM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 03:30AM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 06:32AM

I think the OP is not a troll.

He has just mistaken the purpose of Recovery From Mormonism, which is just that. A place to help individuals in their individual recovery from Mormonism.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 01:02PM

well, maybe if RFM raised the money and built several hundred rather fancy and extravagant Marrott Inns, called them "temples" and performed unmentionable incomprehensibly STUPID acts with in them, in order to save dead people no less, maybe THEN the RFM community could finally merit some respect........

Posted by: optional2(forgotpw) ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 07:30AM

IMO, we have the option to think what ever we want!
Many here are not into group think any longer! People here are seeking recovery from the Mormon religion!
So appreciate this forum for being here!

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 08:43AM

The purpose of a discussion board is to . . . DISCUSS things.
RfM is the most active discussion board I've ever seen.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 08:47AM

seekyr Wrote:
> The purpose of a discussion board is to . . .
> DISCUSS things.
> RfM is the most active discussion board I've ever
> seen.

Meanwhile in other news, I am thinking about brewing some beer from the Brooklynbrewshop

Posted by: raisedbyjackmormons ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 08:54AM

Waterevil doesn't understand that this is a message board. It exists to allow angry and frustrated former cult members to vent. This is not a money-raising organization/corporation out to enrich it's leaders like the LDS church is. The only money raised is that needed to maintain the website.

Water evil thinks RFM is trying to build RFM churches and convince the Osmonds to join.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 09:00AM

We are not an organization nor a religion. In fact, I recommend people to take a year or two off from religion when they leave Mormonism. Explore life. Spend time with family and friends, which was nearly impossible to do as active Mormons. Take up a new hobby. Read great literature. Study anything you wish. You get the idea.

We would lose our credibility to tie our ourselves in any way to any organized religions. I am sorry, that is just not us.

The site needs major overhaul. I have been working 60+ hour weeks and on the road weekly with my job since late last year. For some reason, contract engineering work has gone crazy. Every week I have to explain why I can not take on more projects. I hope to have time later this year when I finally walk away and retire.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 09:35AM

I appreciate what you have done Eric. When I first stumbled onto RFM I was a member of the LDS church not knowing where to turn and my head spinning from Apologist BS. I did go somewhere. Right out of the church with guidance on how to resign. Thank you.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 09:36AM

Eric K Wrote:
> The site needs major overhaul.

I don't know about the back-end but as a user, I think this site is perfect. I especially like that threads move up when there's a new comment, rather than people voting them up. I like to read what is offered and make up my own mind instead of relying on the wisdom of the crowd.

You have done a great job founding this site and keeping it going, Eric. Don't you dare feel guilty for anything you haven't gotten around to. It will always be insignificant compared to what have accomplished.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 10:56AM

Posted by: aquarius1963h ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 09:26AM

Waterevil is just a troll. And, not a smart one at that. Or maybe he's a kid. Ok, going back to nowhere. Lol

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 10:18AM

I am not going anywhere,,, I have already arrived,,

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 10:37AM

Noooooooo.....

+++ to plain text boards, using words instead of emoji (the eCrayon "speech" form), and that first, WTF moment when you realize that you can't delete and someone has quoted you anyway (be prepared to be argued under the rug if your argument is ill-prepared).

I humbly beseech the Erik to let changes be primarily for the ease of administration, while gratefully thanking him for being so awesome.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 10:41AM

Alpiner

A M E N TO YOUR OBSERVATIONS!!!

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: May 31, 2015 01:07PM

One guy, Eric Kettunen, who has responded in this thread, founded this website and bulletin board. He has no "organization" except for a few volunteer moderators. Shortly after Eric founded the site, another Ex-Mormon tried to wrest control of it in order to make it a for-profit venture. Eric refused to do any of that. As other posters noted, the only money Eric asks for is donations to keep the site running.

In case you aren't aware---over the years, several Mormon apologists from FARMS, FAIR, and other pro-Mormon interests have come onto this BB for the purpose of refuting/discrediting it, or to prevent Mormons from reading and learning from it. Among those apologists are Daniel Peterson, Allen Wyatt, Jeff Lindsay, Michael Ash, and Van Hale. Those guys are some of the most vocal Mopologists on the planet. Some of them have commented about RFM elsewhere on the internet, in blogs and articles. They wouldn't bother coming to RFM if they didn't think it was a threat to the church's fortunes.

A lot of the issues discussed here on a regular basis have helped to form the foundations of websites such as Deconstructor's http://www.i4m.com/think/ , Mormonthink, and cesletter.com. We regularly hear from posters, and from talk all over the internet, that websites like those are causing thousands of Mormons to leave the church. It's a safe bet to assume that one of the big reasons why the church has published their recent issues on controversial topics is because so many Mormons, such as those in the "Swedish rescue," are learning the truth about church history and doctrine from websites like RFM. We have heard anecdotal reports that even some of the GAs are reading on these sites and are having their own doubts about the church because of it.

My point being, this website is VERY influential, and is doing big-time damage to the church. That's pretty significant in light of the fact that Eric started this whole thing about 19 years ago just to share his own experiences with the church and to give other people a forum to share theirs as well. This website wasn't founded to make money or to combine forces with other religions; it was designed to do exactly what it is doing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.