Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DoubtingTomThumb ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 07:17AM

http://puremormonism.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/yerrrrr-out.html

The unsuprising verdict is in, Rock is now no longer a member of LDS inc.

Follow up interview coming on Mormon Stories with more details.

Should be an interesting listen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 07:26AM

Should be very interesting.

ChurchCorp manages to drive away those who believe most, leaving a fine congregation of hypocrites and opportunists.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 12:18PM

And liars...

People who don't lie at work. Would not lie to their next door neighbor etc., but they go to church each week knowing that something isn't right anymore in Mormonism and they lie about it.

To themselves. Their families. Their neighbors. Other members.

Listen up TBM Nation. We know and we know you know.

Beware of ANY man telling you he cannot lead you astray. Oh you silly sheep. The ax is falling just around the corner.

Posted by: maaa ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 12:54PM

Mormons are dishonest with themselves at church. It begins the first time they lie to their bishop as a teen and continues on into adulthood as they lie to themselves about the very strange foundational claims.

I work with many mormons in a job that forces them to tell the truth (or lie) about a number of things. Mormons are my worst clients in that regard.

Posted by: laxy ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 07:30AM

"Regardless of your circumstances, your personal history, or the strength of your testimony, there is room for you in this Church."

Yeah like hell that's true. I hope they keep putting their foot in their mouth.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 05, 2015 09:38AM

laxy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Regardless of your circumstances, your personal
> history, or the strength of your testimony, there
> is room for you in this Church."
>
> Yeah like hell that's true. I hope they keep
> putting their foot in their mouth.

Note that the list didn't include "willingness to speak your
mind about your convictions."

Posted by: laxy ( )
Date: June 05, 2015 09:41AM

Touche. There's room for everyone if you put up and shut up!

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 07:47AM

If they can excommunicate anyone for some undefined "apostasy" they can get rid of a lot of people. I don't see how that benefits them. I don't know why they bother excommunicating people when they could just deny them temple recommends and influential callings while just letting folks hang around. Wouldn't it be more Christ-like to simply accept them and try to change their minds rather than throwing them out? Once they toss someone they have lost all of their influence with them.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 08:30AM

There should be a Huffington Post article about this:

"LDS Church Continues Slow, Painful Process of Cutting Off Its Own Dick"

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 08:36AM

I am not really going to shed any tears over this one, I listened to his mormon stories podcast, his beef is that the current church isn't really mormon enough, he wants it to be like the good ole days in Kirtland

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 09:22AM

Admittedly, that is just stupid.

Posted by: iamanevermormon ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 12:08PM

That's the crazy thing lol. I understand with Dehlin and the couple that was just exed because they were actually expressing doubts and disbeliefs, but this guy is a true believer.

Posted by: Searcher ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 09:33AM

What type of organization actively ferrets out and ejects its most well studied and fervent members?

One that is out of control, can't decide what it believes and is desperate for nobody to notice!

Posted by: baneberry ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 09:49AM

If you listened to his podcast on Mormon Stories, he stated that the church had fallen into priestcraft and that they were there for their own benefit. That would piss them off at least as much as just not believing anything and saying that.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 05, 2015 03:27AM

Yes, he passed judgement on the leaders and that is unacceptable and not tolerated.

Only leaders can judge other members in TSCC.

Posted by: Argonaut ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 10:06AM

Your personal scripture study and prayer answers must match church answers, or else.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 10:10AM

If I had to guess, they are trying to scare the mass of members into shutting up and just doing as they are told. So with this plan they kick out any members who are openly challenging the old boys so that regular members get the picture that they can doubt all they like, but if they openly express those doubts to the public, the person will be swiftly booted out of the community of Mormons. It is a fear tactic but I don't think it will work because doubters will just continue to fade away.

Fortunately this on-line community is something that the old boys cannot touch and provides the group support that people need when they are making their escape. I suspect many hours have been spent by the plotters in the COB trying to figure out a way to silence the on-line Exmormon community. Good luck with that.

So the excommunication strategy isn't a bad one but there is another place where I think the old boys are seriously on the wrong track. That is trying to make Sundays even more holy (and boring and stifling). That just might push lots more people over the edge. It is one thing to make kids sit through three hours of brainwashing but when parents find the rest of their Sunday has to be spent policing their children's play activities to make sure they are all about church, I think more and more parents will get tired of the weekly battle. I think parents will start to push back against this and rebel. After three hours, why can't kids and their families go off and do fun stuff? I think when people start pushing back against one nonsensical rule, they start to think about what other rules are ridiculous.

If I were the old boys I would try to leave more money with the local wards so that more interesting social events could be organized. It is that sense of community that often draws in new members and keeps old members. But the old boys will never do this because it's all about money, power and control.

The next decade is going to be an interesting one.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 11:29AM

TBM friends tell me that the incursions by various hyper conservative factions right now are impacting the people in the pews far more than the Dehlin/Kelly ideas.

Posted by: Dafuq ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 06:35PM

I would like to know more?

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 11:44AM

Another prick is gone....
Good riddance.
Church is doing right things getting rid of these whiners trying to correct stuff.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 12:05PM

equinlansolo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another prick is gone....
> Good riddance.
> Church is doing right things getting rid of these
> whiners trying to correct stuff.

Exactly!!!! If ghawd wanted the church to preach just the truth, he'd tell Monson all about it! ...or at least the committee governing through Monson.

Posted by: AIT ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 12:21PM

more evidence it's all about "respecting their authoritah!"

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 12:46PM

I don't have sympathy for the guy. He can plainly see the brethren are frauds but refuses to see that JS was too.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 05:43PM

Follow the money. Follow the money! In my estimation, the powers-that-be were none too pleased about Rock's informative article about the true meaning of tithing -- and along with that, the article, "Go Ahead and Skip That Temple Wedding." The temple is the church's profit center!

Posted by: bourneidentity ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 05:47PM

Installing FEAR into it's members again I see.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 06:45PM

Maybe, but they make the people on the exmo boards laugh. They can read RFM day and night, and there's nothing they can do about it. Not a thing.

I can say whatever I want about mormonism. I can say it loud and as often as I want, and to who I want to say it to.

They also can't stop members from reading what's written on these boards. They've tried, but it hasn't worked too well.

They never thought they'd see a time when they couldn't control the information put out about them. Karma is a bitch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2015 06:45PM by madalice.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 07:04PM

Very good comment.

The karma at the top levels must be almost unbearable these days. They granted Hinckley unchallenged authority over the church on the pretext that he could control public opinion about the church. Now they have only a shell of a church, thoroughly ruined by Hinckley, that is widely despised in the larger world.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 06:40PM

I am happy for him. But I have no idea who Rock Waterman is.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 07:03PM

I personally knew nothing of him until today and he has made some good points concerning the LDS in this day and age. If I was a TBM I might listen to what he has said and agree with his reasoning. He has good points coming from the far right of Mormondom. I think were he ran afoul of the big dogs is had his attitude displays disrespect and causes doubt that the SLC leaders able to commune with the Lord. They can't stand for any dissent within the ranks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.