Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 04:43PM

Once a month? Once a week? Once a day?

Is there an acceptable level of attendance?

Has the church or its leaders ever mentioned an acceptable level of temple attendance or do they want you to feel like you are "never doing good enough?"

Has a stake president or bishop ever NOT been told by higher ups that the temple attendance in their area is not good enough? Or do they ALWAYS tell them its not good enough?

If the church had a checklist for each member, how many times would they be expected to attend the temple each month?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moose ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 04:46PM

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 04:53PM

As often as it takes.

The goal is for you to pay a full tithe as well as fast offerings and any other money they can convince you to give them.

If you will do all that with going once a year, I think that is fine with them.

Seriously though, there is no question with an expected amount in your recommend interview. So technically there is not required amount.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 04:58PM

My mother is retired. Her bishop suggested/told her that she should visit the temple once a week. He also suggested/told her she should attend with sister X who doesn't drive but lives near her.

They go like clockwork every Wednesday. They don't like each other very much but with multiple people in the car they can use the carpool lanes during rush hour.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 05:02PM

What's the rush? The dead aren't getting any deader.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 05:14PM

I honestly don't think TSCC cares about how often you go to the temple...

There is no money to be made in actual temple attendance, the money is made from tithing which is a prerequisite for obtaining a recommend. The only benefit TSCC sees from regular temple attendance is the peer pressure to have a current recommend when all your morgbot buddies are going the temple and talking about how great it is to dress funny, watch a boring movie with sporadic audience participation, followed by 10 minutes of quietly sitting in Liberace's livingroom.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 05:54PM

AKA Alma Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> talking about how great it is to
> dress funny, watch a boring movie with sporadic
> audience participation, followed by 10 minutes of
> quietly sitting in Liberace's livingroom.

That was some funny stuff. Love the visual. They need some quiet piano music of hymn playing. Or do they already have that?

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 08:39PM

I agree. They don't pressure for a lot of attendance, because it's not profitable. They need enough people attending to justify their existence, but not so many that it becomes a maintenance problem.

I imagine there is also a certain point for any given individual where attending the temple enough will reinforce the brainwashing, but too much will make one discontent and start asking questions. My guess is that they are loathe to push anyone over that line, so they let people find it for themselves.

Posted by: Argonaut ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 05:27PM

Well it is an affirmation session for the TBM to immerse themselves in "this is all normal" mormoness. Covenants to the church and feeling special because that is the place you are supposed to feel special until the old lady kicks you out of the celestial room.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2015 05:28PM by Argonaut.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 05:38PM

back in the day and in the seventies and eighties they wanted you to go at least twice a month.

which is a total pain in the ass because the only temple in Southern California was in Los Angeles and nobody wanted to fight the traffic to LA and back.

-dennis

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 05:47PM

What a fun, romantic, sexy date night! =[

And... YW get to babysit numerous brats for free, clean the kitchen, do baths... as a "service project."

Fun all around! I know the church is true.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 11:04PM

Oh crap. When I visit my cousin and his wife, I was planning to offer to watch their four (VERY difficult) children so they could have a much needed night out together. If they decide to go to the temple, my head might explode!

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 08:12PM

As many times as it takes to keep the sheeple paying.

Posted by: thorn ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 10:41PM

^This^

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 08:16PM

Every Friday night, on date night!

If you're growing distant from each other, if you never see each other except on date night, then sitting across the room from your spouse while Satan threatens you will miraculously bring you closer together.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 08:50PM

Think of all those poor names! All these alternate universes of potential forefathers, they need to be saved! Right now your very greater than great grandmother (Pick any mythological female you want) is waiting on the other side to be sealed to all your numerous and equally incorrect versions of your family tree. What will she think of you if your'e not in the temple 24/7 for her and all other equally improbable ancestors?

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 09:03PM

In thirty years I went through one endowment, a sealing to my wife , baptised some kids over 200 times, and some sealings for some dead folks. Four trips to the temple, and as I look back, it was four times too many.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 10:09PM

-0-

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 10:15PM

As much as possible. Gotta get the work done for the dead you know!!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 10:21PM

They don't really care if you ever go again after the first time. What they do want is for you to keep an active temple recommend because to do that, you have to be a full tithe payer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2015 10:22PM by azsteve.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 04, 2015 11:15PM

they want me to live there until the toilets are spotless.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: June 05, 2015 02:43AM

More than you are currently. More. MORE. MOOOOOORE.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.