Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: korihorwasright ( )
Date: June 05, 2015 10:10PM

They are well educated people and they know about all the problems in the church. They most likely know all their explanations are crap. They also can't say anything because than they'd lose their job and wife.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 05, 2015 10:26PM

The mind's ability to compartmentalize is very strong. Also the ability to live in denial. It's very possible that they believe the crap they spew if they twist the facts to make a square peg fit into a round hole

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: June 05, 2015 10:32PM

Apologists believe in such a twisted version of Mormonism that it is nothing like what the scriptures and general authorities teach. Apologists would be liable to get excommunicated for heresy if the general authorities were paying attention and actually cared much.

I guess it is okay to sin if you are doing it in the interest of the church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2015 11:24PM by Heretic 2.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: June 05, 2015 11:20PM

believe it or not, there are layers of being False...

the only level I need(ed) was the disconnect between their claims (Honesty) and Real Life(tm).

TSCC is simply No Where near its claims.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 10:11AM

FAIR is entirely run by volunteers and amateurs. They believe, near as I can tell.

It is harder to know with the BYU types and professional authors, and I assume there is a wide range of belief there.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 10:17AM

the LDS have twisted & spun everything is sight; it's NO Wonder some people (Simon Says) follow/'believe' it.

I AGREE with angela.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 10:17AM

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 10:28AM

There are some who know all of the truths such as Richard Bushman, yet they truly still say that Joseph Smith is a prophet. Do they believe/know the church is false? I don't know? I can't see into their heart and mind. They know the truths. Daniel Peterson knows the truths. He bends truths and introduces new lies to cover up past history and falsehoods. Are these two apologists the same? Not in my eyes and ears; but to some they are.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 10:30AM

They believe it is true, hence the mental gymnastics which to independent third parties looks so crazy.

Saying they don't believe is like when they say: "Deep down all those exmos still KNOW the church is true."

Sorry apologists, deep down we still think its...false.

Posted by: cwpenrose ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 10:35AM

Amen, brother!

Posted by: ette ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 10:48AM

I took pearl of great price from Brian Hauglid at BYU. He claims to be the top scholar in the church regarding the book of Abraham.

Hauglid's class was the first time I learned JS did NOT translate Egyptian correctly and the papyrus was from 2000 years after Abraham left Egypt.

I still remember Hauglid giggling about it. He thought it was so funny how the whole pearl of great price was one big revelation, not a real translation.

Looking back at it, I think Hauglid knows it's all a scam.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 12:02PM

It is possible to put yourself in a mental state of denial wherein true or false has no influence on belief or action.

It is called dissociative reaction or irresistible impulse wherein the perpetrator although they know right from wrong have not the power to resist.

Just a thought!

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 12:14PM

They know the facts are against them. That's why they routinely spin convoluted webs of possibilities, denials and ad hominem attacks. Truth is simple to explain while defending untruth requires much more finesse. If you ever watch Ancient Aliens, you'll notice the exact types of language used at FAIR with their possible, maybe, perhaps, could it be, etc.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 03:22PM

We enjoy doing jigsaw puzzles in my family. When we put one together we refer to the picture on the box to help put the pieces in place.

Mormon apologists are putting together the jigsaw puzzle of Mormonism using the box cover with "the church is true" picture. But they're using the wrong picture. Change the picture to "the church isn't true" and suddenly the puzzle pieces fall into place.

But they are going to make those puzzle pieces fit, D*MNIT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2015 03:23PM by caedmon.

Posted by: outsider ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 08:14PM

In the early 1990s there was a cult in Japan which used poison gas to kill and hurt people in the Tokyo subway system. The leaders of the cult were quite intelligent and had gone to the best universities.

Being smart doesn't make one wise.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.