Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 09:55AM

I can't deny that there are some hymns I truly do enjoy. From a musical standpoint, it's obvious why they're good. It's just clever chord choices and phrasing.

But I hate how they think that getting that feeling of enjoying music means that their church is true. It just irritates me so much. Why can't I just enjoy listening to and/or playing a song without seeming like I'm interested in becoming a full time Mormon again?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: KJ/AnonyMs not logged in ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 10:23AM

I love music...........including hymns.

It's about the music.
It's not about Joseph Smith....or the silly cult.

But it took me a while to enjoy it without feeling disgusted.

KJ

Thanks for the confession. ;)

Posted by: laxy ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 10:35AM

The LDS church using "if you feel the 'spirit' during hymns, that means the church is true" is so incredibly bogus.

Music making you FEEL something is just a part of it: http://mentalfloss.com/article/51745/why-does-music-give-us-chills

I guess by that standard, since I get chills and cry almost every time I hear a certain Jeff Buckley song, I should start worshiping him? Lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2015 10:36AM by laxy.

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 02:11PM

Hahaha XD

Posted by: KJ/AnonyMs not logged in ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 11:17AM

Hallelujah

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 11:56AM

Many times, while being cajoled into attending a meeting, I just sit and enjoy the music for structure,chord progression and melody. I try to not concentrate on the lyrics which are generally mundane, nonsensical, or outright mind controlling.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 05:48PM

As a musician and a convert, I like music. That's a "DUH"! :-) I grew up on old Christian Hymns and Gospel Songs (those have a chorus): Count Your Many Blessings, Jesus Savior Pilot Me, Onward Christian Soldiers, and a dozen more.
We sang: Nearer My God To Thee, and Abide With Me tis Even tide at my husband's funeral.

Music is about an emotional attachment which is usually two things: the melody-tune and the words.
The tune is what is generally the core factor we recall. Most often we forget the words, or cannot recall all of them. But we remember the tune.
The tune also may have more than one set of words also. That is try of many hymns.

I enjoy religious music. At one time, I had some belief in the words, but now, not so much. That's beside the point. I enjoy hearing the tune, the melody, chords used, and how it's presented.
One that takes me way back is this The Oak Ridge Boys singing: God Will Take Care of You. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=oak+ridge+boys+god+will+take+care+of+you

Some of our greatest composers of years past wrote music for church.
Here are several hundred: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Classical_composers_of_church_music

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 05:58PM

I am a big fan of Handel's Messiah. I was very relieved to find a much better (IMO) version than the Eugene Ormandy / Philadelphia Symphony & mo-tab choir version...

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 06:04PM

I liked one in my youth (The Spirit of God) and had it performed at my Dad's funeral 'cause he liked it too...but that spirit don't burn here no more.

RB

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 06:05PM

I admit that I enjoy a lot of LDS hymns. If You Could Hie to Kolob is probably one of my guiltiest pleasures. It really has nothing to do with the hymn (though the imagery of a flight through the heavens, then continuing onward definitely appeals to the scifi nerd in me), but more to do with the fact that it is set to one of my favorite pieces of music by Vaughn Williams. I also enjoy some of the priesthood/restoration themed hymns (The Spirit of God, Redeemer of Israel, O Come Ye Sons of God, etc) - not the frilly ones like Joseph Smith's First Prayer, but the ones that were meant to be sung loud and proud. Doesn't mean that I love the church or the message they represent, I just really enjoy music.

Posted by: fool ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 06:49PM

I think the hymn in four part harmony is a beautiful musical form. I just imagine that I am singing about fantasy/science fiction characters.

Posted by: perfectmormongirl ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 07:12PM

I have been known to start sing "Let us oft speak kind words to each other" when my family starts bickering. My kids totally don't get it, but my dh laughs.

Many of the hymns are traditional classical pieces though, and I do enjoy the music.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.