Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: August 31, 2020 07:53PM

Good afternoon RFMers

To take a break from talking about politics or covid, I thought I would try something novel and talk about Mormons. It seems in their never ending quest to un-mormon everything mormon they are going after another piece of their history or foundation.

The Mormon Church has taught for many years that Elijah restored the sealing power which allows mormons to be sealed in temple to families and gives them authority to dead dunk anyone who isn't.

It appears in D&C 110 as a vision which gave Joseph the keys and started the whole "turning of the hearts to the fathers" bs called family history work. In fact, here is a big to do that was done about it.

https://www.deseret.com/2016/4/3/20585935/180-years-ago-today-in-the-kirtland-temple-visits-by-jesus-christ-moses-elijah-and-elias

What is the new wrinkle to an already old con is that I guess as people are suddenly learning about Joseph Smiths polygamous wives. In consequence of this, Fanny Alger the teenager that lived with Joseph was sealed to him and that sealing date pre-dates this restoration of temple work. Meaning he did not have the authority to do what he did when he did it.

So now the church has conjured up this new gem (new topic or essay) on the church website

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/sealing

This basically says that Joseph was given the sealing power by Peter in 1829 (which has always been suspect as it was only included in church history at least a decade or more later) which conveniently covers up the fact that the church has been teaching for years that Elijah restored the sealing power, not too mention the speculation Joseph Smith also screwed up the name Elias and Elijah from its use in the bible.

Question: Wasn't it just a waste of time for Elijah to show up and make this big to do in the Kirtland Temple in 1836? Why was it even necessary? Just like the plates being saved at risk of death by Moroni only to have Joseph not even look at them with a rock in the hat, God likes to waste his angels' time.

Question 2: Even if they try to focus the conversation around what did Joseph know and when did he spiritually wive Fanny, wasn't this is also direct proof Joseph Smith married a teenage girl that was living in his home and that by church history Emma did not know about any of his wives until at least 7 years later which is despicable by any standard in any era?

Oliver Cowdery in fact went apostate and left the church over this. Calling it a "dirty affair with Fanny" Alger. Many of the members did not know polygamy was even being practiced at this time which also led to William Law printing the Nauvoo Expositor revealing Joseph's polygamous adventures and ultimately led to Joseph's death after his utilization of theocratic power to destroy that printing press.

I suspect Peter James and John was also an after thought revision to church history as many members at that time didn't know those events had even occurred just like Elijah.

Joseph was sure forgetful on being visited by God and angelic beings as the first vision has at least 8 different version, Peter visit is suspect, elijah visit now suspect.

Question 3: Where is their authority again?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: August 31, 2020 10:09PM

"Latter-day Saints believe this same authority given to Peter was given to Joseph Smith in 1829"

cojcolds doesn't seem to be trying to rewrite history in my interpretation of the article, this is more likely a condensed idea that they are presenting to the public comparing Joe to Pete. But I have some serious reservations about current churches claiming exactly the same binding authority as ancient biblical heroes had. I mean about anyone can get into the temple these days and supposedly have the same words spoken to them as God spoke in ancient times to the patriarchs, consider all the backsliders, not everybody is of the same caliber as Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. In Biblical times God appeared as a cloud of darkness as a sign so they they would know he is real. He certainly hasn't done that these days. Yet cojcolds claims the same sort of relationship with the Gods. But it aint so.

Posted by: Eastbourne ( )
Date: September 02, 2020 02:00PM

The Church News and other apologetic organs publish articles for their audience: believing members and those who want to believe. Yes, definite proof (to us) that Smith Had an affair and when He was caught, he tried to justify It via the Lord’s pre-planned and intended - yet to be published - poly revelation.

Intended message for the faithful: If Li’l Joe did it, it’s what the Lord wanted. If Emma/others were hurt, it’s their own fault for not understanding the Lord’s ways.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 02, 2020 02:41PM

? Do you have a reference to a teaching that Eliah bestowed - renewed the 'ceiling power' to Joey? that would be GREAT!!

FOUND ONE, Easy Squeezy!

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/teachings-joseph-smith/chapter-26?lang=eng

and this

https://www.deseret.com/2016/4/3/20585935/180-years-ago-today-in-the-kirtland-temple-visits-by-jesus-christ-moses-elijah-and-elias#drawing-of-the-kirtland-temple-by-chad-s-hawkins-author-of-temples-of-the-new-millennium

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2020 09:11PM by GNPE.

Date: September 02, 2020 09:19PM

I don't know the dates involved (Ms. Tanner does I'm pretty sure), I read once that Joey was sealed to one of his harem pals BEFORE he was sealed to Emma....

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 02, 2020 03:16PM

ceiling power

Date: September 02, 2020 05:11PM

this has got to Rank High on the list of 'adjustments' / changes / modifications they've made in a while, that's fer sure!!!

'the everlasting, unchangeable, rock rolling down a mountain... Yup!

A DN article dates the appearance of Elijah to April of 1836;

Wiki says Fanny & Joe were 'married' "early 1833", he was sealed to Emma 5/28/1843...

WOW! some delay there, eh?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2020 09:55PM by GNPE.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: September 03, 2020 04:39PM

Aren’t Elijah and Elias the same person in the Bible? Oopsy.

Date: September 03, 2020 04:43PM

DN article suggests otherwise per Smith's account (written by ???)

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 03, 2020 05:52PM

If they keep on soon they will have no reason to dunk you. Then what?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.