Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 06:26PM

In the first section of the Doctrine and Covenants, the “lord” states: “What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.”

It certainly seems to me that an all-powerful, all-knowing being would be able to reveal his words to his prophet using the most clear, unambiguous wording possible. There would be no need for debate as to the meaning of easily understood passages in scripture. God wouldn’t need some mere human to explain that eternal doesn’t really mean “eternal” in “that context,” or translate doesn’t really mean “translate” in the way we all understand it. God wouldn’t need some representative to explain what he “really meant” when he said that dark skin was a curse.

Politicians and other celebrities need publicists and others to clean up after them when they say something stupid, but the scriptures aren’t off-the-cuff comments, or poorly worded answers to unexpected questions. I really don’t think that the creator of the universe would ever need a spin doctor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 06:31PM

CrispingPin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...but the scriptures aren’t
> off-the-cuff comments, or poorly worded answers to
> unexpected questions. I really don’t think that
> the creator of the universe would ever need a spin
> doctor.

Well, actually, that's exactly what they are. Not to mention fables, myths, legends, and imagination.
Which is kinda the point you were making :)

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 07:50PM

...until they change it...

Posted by: evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: June 08, 2015 03:12AM

I used to think Gawd himself was speaking to his minions with that verse. Oh the shivers up my spine! Anyway, i think there were some threads about revelations and prophecies that did not come true. Maybe Gawd was sleeping then, or tired, or F**ing his many wives?

Posted by: evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: June 08, 2015 12:38PM

The Lord also appears to be insecure. He coulda just said "What I have spoken" however, he just hadda add his title of Lord.

Is Jesus rank conscious?

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 08, 2015 03:42PM

The D&C makes infinitely more sense if you substitute “Joseph Smith” everywhere you see “the Lord” or “God”.

i.e. ~ ““What I Joseph Smith have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself”

ziller

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.