Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mobegone ( )
Date: April 06, 2011 04:47PM

Because I am way too much of a pansy to do it myself.... I so totally dare one of you, the next time you run into a TBM, to give them one of the temple handshakes. Glory and fame can be yours. Return and report.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: April 06, 2011 04:48PM

Been there, done that, elicited a giggle because I gave the sure sign of the nail along with a palm tickle (you know what that means).

Ron

Posted by: Anon455 ( )
Date: April 06, 2011 10:03PM

No, actually, I don't know what the "palm tickle" is. Could you enlighten me?

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 08:28PM

Use the free finger (or nail) and tickle the person's palm.

Posted by: coyote ( )
Date: April 06, 2011 04:55PM

If someone does this, and manages to film the reaction, I am seriously considering setting aside a portion of my limited income to buy that person dinner and a few rounds of drinks.

Posted by: Longout ( )
Date: April 06, 2011 05:02PM

I was working as a travelling health-care worker in a small Arizona town (Payson). I was wearing a camisole under my scrubs because I'd sunburned my shoulders and didn't want to wear a bra.

A nurse shook my hand and gave me the sign of the nail and it freaked me out. In retrospect, I should have returned it with the secret Masonic Rainbow Girl handshake. Then I could have freaked her out (It's truly a stupid handshake).

Posted by: jeebusinasidecar ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 11:06AM

Is a Rainbow Girl one of those organizations for girls who have or had a Masonic relative? Because when I was in high school, I was in Jobies (Job's Daughters) for a little over a year. I was in the Hillyard pride parade (not that type of pride parade :), and I could have sworn I saw a Rainbow Girl float.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: April 28, 2013 01:30PM

Rainbow girls are a Masonic backed organization.
You can join if you are friends of a Rainbow girl.

If you want to join Job's daughters or Eastern Star, the womens ecquivalent to Masons, you must have a close blood related Mason.
A Grandfather, an Uncle, a Father, a Brother, a First Cousin.

I had a 33 Degree Mason in my family, but he was my Mother's Uncle, making him my 'Grand' Uncle (Grandfather's brother).
The blood tie was too distant.

Unless I married a Mason I can never be in Eastern Star.

Rainbow girls is young ladies ages 12 to 20. They have formal meetings, activities and do some service to the community; clean a messy vacant lot free of debris, gather specific goods to assist a community homeless center, Salvation Army etc.

They have one meeting they can wear school dresses to and one they wear floor length formals during the month. The older ones teach the younger ones. They also have formal receptions after their formal meeting where they serve tea, coffee, and cakes(cookies). It's where I learned how to properly "pour out" with a big Silver Tea service!

Posted by: FKNix ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 03:22PM

If you are a majority member of Rainbow or Jobs Daughters, you can be a member of OES. NO other Masonic relationship is required.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 03:55PM

I was just going to note this. The change was made a General Grand a few years ago to stem the tide of declining membership.

One thing I would like to point out which we used more than once in Jobs when I was on the council. We investigate if the person listed on the petition was a Mason. We don't investigate if you are actually related to them. We used to pull old dead guys of the Past Masters wall with the same last name as a kid and claim it was her Grandpa/Uncle whatever.

Posted by: Mason ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 02:50PM

That blood relation has been relaxed in recent years. The age for Jobies is now 10 to 20 and I've seen girls get in on a great uncle, great, great grandfather, step dad, cousin, etc.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 11:12PM

Scottish Rite Mason.

But why would I WANT to???

Posted by: mysticma ( )
Date: April 06, 2011 05:00PM

Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: April 06, 2011 10:56PM

I can' t really remember the hand shakes but I love to mess with them by not shaking their hand. It seems they really do believe you are Satan if you refuse to shake their hand.

Posted by: larry john ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 11:01AM

Could someone give the link to Monson and Hinkley doing
the patrarchal grip outside of temple grounds at the
joe smith building and vatican, to President bush and
the pope, why would they do that if the prophet is
not a MASON himself.

I have a dvd that shows bush's conversion ritual
satantic to reach that 32 or 33 degree level
that is equilevent to the temple handshake.

When talked to missionary, he say not believe it
made up photo denies that photos tell the truth but
photos dont lie...

Larry.

Posted by: Longout ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 12:48PM

Rainbow girls, Job's, DeMolay (Boys group) are Masonic youth groups, but you don't have to be related to a Mason to join. They are "service" organizations for ages 12-17. We cleared yards for the elderly, raised money for Shriners hospitals for crippled children, volunteered for March of Dimes doing respite care on weekends with severely disabled kids ...good stuff.

Except...I reached the leadership, Worthy Advisor, at 16. I wanted to initiate my black friend from softball. It all caved in. Our Korean member was adopted into a Masonic family. I naively figured race didn't matter. It did. My friend was blackballed. I resigned, furious, wrote a letter and we lost our charter (Mill Valley #191). I have fond memories of activities and friends, but also of constant pressure to raise money by the old biddie Eastern Stars. My grades suffered. At 12 I didn't realize I'd joined an all-white cult. Cult.

Secret initiation, rituals, handshake - even door knock. Biblical scripture, too. No wonder Joe Smith was enthralled with the masons. Did I mention our special aprons? Cult.

Posted by: IORGgirl ( )
Date: April 28, 2013 12:31PM

My apologies for finding you all wrong. Rainbow for girls has changed. My mother was a Jobbie, my grandfather a DeMolay master Counsilor, most of my uncles are masons, and most of my aunts were Rainbow/Jobbies.
Please tell me how Masonic Child Identification Projects are satanic? How they are cultists? Believe me, I've had my doubts. I'm 15 and a current Rainbow member. We work at circuses and go to walks to help with charities... Rainbow has changed. One of the girls of my assembly is African American and absolutely not treated differently, as a matter of fact she's Grand Advisor. There is no discrimination.
Every club has it's handshakes. If you didn't have a handshake as a child with your friends then you've been deprived. Satanists and Cultists do evil things, pray to Satan, and "sacrifice" people. They are religious extremists. Yes we have religious aspects, but I know Rainbow girls who are Jewish, catholic, Christian, Muslim, and even atheist. We do not force religion on you. One of my friends, sister of hope, believes in the spaghetti monster in the sky. I'd love to shoot down more untrue sayings about Rainbow.
Some people call it a cult, some people call it a secret society. I call it family.

Date: October 03, 2013 03:29PM

You do need to be related to a Master Mason or a Majority Member of Jobs Daughters to be eligible for membership in JDI. Not so with Rainbow and DeMolay. JDI ages are 11 - 20 and is not a cult. Yes they do have a secret handshake, but so does the Girls Scouts.
JDI does not wear aprons. Not sure what that has to do with being a cult. You can find Masonic rituals of all orders in most public libraries. As for the old biddies in Easter Star, I am also one of those. We do not nag the girls to earn money, but encourage them to do their share to support the financial responsibilities of running a group. We also mentor and financially support them in these endeavors.

Date: October 03, 2013 03:34PM

I will also add that my granddaughter is bi-racial and a very welcomed and respected member of our Bethel. Our Miss Nebraska Congeniality for the past two years has been bi-racial. We have no issues in welcoming Hispanic, Asian, or any other ethnicity. Times have changed and it sounds like you've let one incident from the past cloud your opinion on this remarkable leadership organization for young women.

Posted by: Mason ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 02:53PM

That business about race has to be a local issue. I'm in Nothern Va and the Rainbows, Jobies, and DeMolay have a very diverse membership.

Posted by: PeterB ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 08:56PM

I am sad that making fun of another's religion seems ok and fun to y'all - I feel sorry for you. There are far better things to do.

Posted by: laughing at PeterB ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 09:28PM

Making fun of another's religion? Like the temple endowment ceremony ridiculed mainline Christianity before the church removed that part?

In fact, your "religion" is nothing more than a divisive, deceitful cult – and we don't much care if our mockery makes you "sad." It's not about you, not at all.

Get lost.

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 05:33PM

I watched a Youtube video and now know all four handshakes despite my complete lack of ever having set foot inside a Mormon church. I keep wanting to bust one out on my very Mormon girlfriend just to see what she says... But she's such a sweet girl and it would probably hurt her feelings. One of these days I'm gonna have too much to drink and do the temple sealing handshake though, and it's probably not gonna go over well...

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 07:12PM

Congrats, beulahland! You just figured out how to get into the CK without ever stepping foot into a temple!!

Posted by: brothernotofjared ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 07:22PM

Please post a like to the youtube video }:-)>

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 07:32PM

Done!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 11:23PM

understand what the handshake is all about. Don't be surprised if you get no reaction at all.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 05:43PM

I taught my SIL the first token of mels priesthood or the sign of the nail. She gave it to her seminary teacher and asked "Waht is that", he replied with "I dont know". What a liar. She also slipped the token to one of the missionaries when I was over at MILs house. He got a pretty hillarious expression on his face but didn't even try to make a reply to the question. DW and I also taught it to her 7yo little brother. I havent seen the results of that one yet.

Posted by: saintdorothymantooth ( )
Date: April 28, 2013 03:13PM

haha, I'm thinking of teaching DHs little sisters when we all go on family vacation this year. MIL told DH "We want you to know beforehand that we are all planning on doing a few Temple sessions on our trip, just so you're not surprised when it comes up." Yeah, awesome family vacation when they're taking 2 days of it to do TSCC stuff that 1/2 the family can't participate in...

I'm pretty sure fists would fly if we made a new club with some "secret handshakes" with the little sisters while they were gone :)

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 03:36PM

That would be fun teaching the kids what mom and dad are up to in the temple.

Maybe add an extra action into the handshake so its not identical. Make it a secret family handshake. That should be worth some laughs. Draw the masonic symbol on the back of your hand. Tell parents your learning all of this as you look into becoming a mason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2013 03:37PM by madalice.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 06:18PM

I've done it to the missionaries a few times.

When we shake and it dawns on them what I'm doing, the smile fades, they turn around abruptly, and simply walk away without a word. It's freaking hilarious when they realize some nice suburban mom is in cahoots with Satan. It really screws with their heads.

At least this is the way it usually happens. One set wanted to argue.

Yes they bug me all the time - long story.

;o)

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 04:58PM

Invite them in to join you in the true order of prayer. BTW, what is the false order of prayer? Are all meal, church, and family prayers the false order of prayer?

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 03:28PM

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 05:11PM

I get them all the time. Not sure if they are testing me as a mormon or a mason. Or if they are announcing themselves as such.

Posted by: paintingintheWIN ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 07:29PM

my husband & I grip each other's hand like one temple hand shake all the time & smile

several gang shake shake finger wiggle shake change hand shape fist bump include temple hand shakes as well

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 09:32PM

I almost thought about trying a secret handshake to the missionaries today but i really dont know any of them so i couldnt, but i almost said to practice those handshakes while they were leaving. I had a stake president do a weird and creepy handshake on me thinking i was one of the temple mormons but i wasnt. That alone gave me a red flag that i may be deep into some crazy sh#t.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 10:50PM

An exmo friend of mine recalled when he was a bright-eyed TBM
teen. He was very serious about Church and would even pay
attention to the Sacrament Meeting talks (how many teen TBMs do
that?).

Well one day a visiting HC-dude or something was the featured
speaker. He was a big dude with huge hands. My friend went up
to him after SM to shake his hand and tell him how much he
enjoyed his talk. He couldn't get his hand all the way around
the speaker dude's hand. The speaker dude quickly pulled his
hand away and berated my friend for doing what he's not supposed
to do outside of the temple.

My friend, a teenager, had absolutely no clue what he had done.
It was only later when he went on a mission did it dawn on him
what had happened and what the Speaker dude meant.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 10:54PM

Holy sh#t i remember the secret handshake that the stake president gave me and it felt so awkward and creepy i knew it had to be one of their secret handshakes. Its crazy that i went so long without ever knowing about the stupid handshake thing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.