Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wendell ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 04:35AM

A very close friend of my family requested a facebook friendship with me. I've avoided having contact with people from my hometown in southern idaho because I don't feel like embarrassing my parents. Even though I have no relationship with my family, I've never found a reason to make them even more ashamed than they already are. Most people from the town don't have a clue about my sexuality, and having them find out had never been something I cared to do.
However, I accepted this man's friendship request knowing full well he would find out my secret since I don't hide it...especially on facebook. Anyway, it took less than one day before I started getting slightly veiled messages from the good christian people in my home ward calling me to repentance.
I have yet to respond, but I certainly will tomorrow. Hopefully I can come up with some witty and humorous response that won't offend them, but will clearly convey the message that I am happy. Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LongTimegone ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 05:39AM

If they were good people or (good Christians), they wouldn't be calling you or anyone else to repentance. They are either bad people (or bad Christians) calling you to repentance or they are good people (or good Christians) accepting you for who you are. If they are Mormons, you might post their 11th Article of Faith.

By the way, if your parents are ashamed of you, that is their problem, although I understand how hurtful that must be for you. You are not responsible for their feelings.

I think it speaks to what a sensitive, caring person you are that you want to minimize your parents hurt, even if it is hurt they create for themselves by worrying about what their co-Mormons think.

Good luck, Wendell. Keep loving and accepting yourself.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 05:46AM

I might tell them, "there's no sense in repenting until I've got all the sin out of my system, and I've still got a number of items left on my list."

I'd block all of 'em. Who needs the aggravation?

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 08:18AM

Bottom line is that you don't owe anyone an explanation. It might not be the best attitude, but for myself, I think I'd be going, "Excuse me? You come onto MY page and you have the audacity to get all high and mighty and judgmental on me. You either accept me as I am, or you don't, in which case, there's always the Unfriend or Block buttons. But I am what I am. Deal with it."

Again, it's not the most friendly approach, but I'm old enough now that I'm comfortable in my own skin and I don't take kindly to other people trying to dictate who I should be. I find it very rude and won't hesitate to say so. LOL

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 11:25AM

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 09:02AM

I think the biggest sin a human being can commit is to try and be something they are not. Be True To Yourself is my motto.

Maybe it would work?

Good luck.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 09:19AM

Tell 'em you're as happy as a flit at a Beefcake Convention and that repentence is for sinners.

Just sayin'...

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 09:46AM

How about that Buddhist quote you put up on Facebook?

Posted by: wendell ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 10:08AM

I may very well just use that. Thanks

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 10:29AM

*MAJOR HUG*

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 10:11AM

Pretend that you interpret every "well meaning" (choke) message as that person hiting on you, and inform them you are flattered, but already in a commited relationship, but you will let them know if your status changes. ;D

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 10:18AM

Saw this on a facebook page (funny)

"" UB what UB --IB what IB ""

(you be what you be -- I be what I be)

JB

Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 10:25AM

They are being judgmental without knowing enough to be contacting you in this way. They have been absent from your life until now. I find it unconscionable for them to suddenly re-enter your life wagging their nasty little fingers at you in this way.

I'm sorry you must endure this nonsense. These people should get a life and stop criticizing those (you) who did exactly that.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 10:59AM

"As soon as YOU repent for being straight, I'll repent for being gay."

Posted by: exmo99 ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 11:04AM

If mormon the answer is real easy - "you got JS wrong, you got WOW wrong, you got penishood wrong, you got polygamy wrong, you got blacks wrong, you got the TEMPLE ceremony wrong, (point out about 10 other things real easy) and then post maybe you got sexuality wrong too..."

I Christian, ask them if they've ever sinned and which stone they'll be throwing.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 11:52AM

Click: HIDE (the Post) and ignore stuff you don't want to read.
They will be gone from your page completely without defriending then if you click: HIDE (the person's name). You can take them out of Time Out under Edit Options at the bottom right of the page.:-)
Also, there is that little X by the post on your own page and you can DELETE their comments.

Lots of options without making any statement.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.