Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: December 29, 2020 08:06PM

So, what is the deal with DNA and mormonism?

=======================
Source:
https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2352904

^^^^^In that thread, schrodingerscat says,
Mormon company right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancestry.com#Ancestry.com

That'd explain it.
=======================

and I think I saw some other such comments about obsession by mormons about their ancestry.
Does this have something to do with mormons thinking that in the afterlife, they are going to live in the same house with the same wife and kids?

How is that going to work? Are the kids going to be like 5 y old forever?

Is there something about becoming gods in the after life and having many wives and you get your own planet and you make lots of babies and you are going to plant them on the new planet?

NEXT QUESTION:
Mormons believe that you existed before being born? What’s the story behind that.

~~~~iceman9090

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 29, 2020 08:18PM

"How is that going to work? Are the kids going to be like 5 year olds forever?"

Hahahaha ha. Trust me. They haven't really thought this through.

When I was a kid in the fifties an sixties they were still teaching that we could become gods and have our own planets. " As man is, God once was. As God is Man may become." That was the scripture. We were taught that. Just like McDonald's has a slogan du jour, we had that one then.

They've backtracked on all that now because to the world in general it sounded kind of , well, you already know. They even pretend they never taught that. Well they did. They are trying to fit in with the cool kids now.

I used to daydream about the flowers I would create for my planet
while holding a clear golden yellow marble up to the light coming in through the basement window of my bedroom. The flaws in the marble made it seem real somehow.

Getting your planet. It was a thing.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 29, 2020 08:21PM

> I used to daydream about the flowers I would
> create for my planet. . .

I love that.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: December 30, 2020 10:19PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever mentioned that that is what you believed to outsiders back when you were a mormon? What was their reaction?

Personally, I am not seeing a problem with that.
1. If this god character is some dummy at a factory, pressing a button and a machine builds a planet/universe/soul, then you can do it as well and so can anyone.

2. If this god character is a super genius and sits at his table and does designs and plans all day,
He designs sub atomic particles, with all their properties, the properties of space, etc.
...then perhaps that is what he is passionate about. Perhaps that is what mormons are passionate about …. however, I doubt that the average mormon has the intellect or patience to do such things.

3. If the mormon believer thinks that his jewish god is some kind of a genie and speaks things into existence, such as “let there be light”, to me, that sounds their brain is in la la land.
I get the impression that christians view their jewish god as a kind of genie. Although some creationists came up with the term “intelligent designer”, the Bible doesn’t show the intellectual abilities of that god.

~~~~iceman9090

Date: December 31, 2020 10:08AM

I didn't mention it. I preached it! And not just on the mission.

I never thought God pushed a button and made a planet. I wasn't that kind of Mormon and I didn't see God as magic. I saw him as working with the natural laws of the Universe.

While most Mormons were thinking that once you got to the CK that it was going to be ---Presto! Chango! Poof! You're a God! Here's your badge.

Not me. I assumed if I was good enough, valiant enough, on this earth and made it to the Celestial Kingdom, that being there would be the beginning of perhaps thousands, even millions of years of training, learning, starting with Godhood 101 and working my way to Advanced Tectonic Plate Shifting with a minor in making fruit that fits perfectly into your hand and is easy to peel.

The Mormonism I grew up in taught the Law of Eternal Progression and that was the one part that was appealing. Still is. My motto in life is, "Never level off."

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 31, 2020 10:20AM

Yes, D&D, that was my take on it. And we’d study at the newly ‘transubstantiated’ Earth, it having become a crystal sphere oozing with knowledge ...

Date: December 31, 2020 10:35AM

Laughing now. Cuz. OMG! (Omniscient Miles per Gallon) I actually believed the crystal sphere thing. Still laughing.

Wait. If a rock can become a diamond after millions of years after enough heat and pressure, then why not the third rock from the sun? Hmmmnnn. And that is why Global Warming is happening? It's part of God's plan. We are being heated and pressured into the glass sphere! Wow!

The Lord works in Marvelous Ways! You heard it here first!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 31, 2020 12:02PM

>>Getting your planet. It was a thing.

Perhaps BYU should have had a major in planet design.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 31, 2020 02:39PM

They did have a planet design department. Religion, in the JS Building.

Date: December 29, 2020 08:40PM

Circling back to the beginning of time—mine and the entire planet’s . . .

In the beginning, if you were born Mormon, for example, this birthright meant that you had been one of the valiant in the War in Heaven before the whole world began. You had fought heroically alongside spirit Jesus as a spirit yourself. Because of that, you have been rewarded to be born to a strong Mormon family like everybody else who fought on Team Jesus and won the Celestial equivalent of the Congressional Medal of Honor. Of all the billions of spirits to come to earth to receive a body, you are chosen. You are special. You are told that that is your sweet recompense if you are born Mormon—especially in those storied “Latter days.” You are given a head start on not just salvation, but exaltation. you get to see a copy of the test before you take it.

It wasn’t until after I left the church that I seriously examined this supposed war in Heaven—Jesus and his brother Lucifer both presenting salvation plans to God the Father, and then, when Jesus’s plan was chosen, Lucifer was miffed and all hell broke loose, so to speak. Suddenly it was Jesus doing battle with Lucifer, each vying for the souls of the spirit children of God their Father. Choosing teams.

Two holy team captains, Jesus and Lucifer, beginning an argument when they got to me.
“That’s oK. you can have him.”
“No, you take him.”
"Okay. I'll take him," said Jesus, " but I'm going to make him gay ."

Thank you, Jesus. Worked out great!

All of us in the preexistence fighting that war, whether we were fighting for Jesus or for Lucifer, we were just spirits—just like Casper the Friendly Ghost. Rather than a war, I picture a great debate between spirits and then figure that that could only lead to a lot of “hot air."

Or, maybe we spirits should have put our disagreement to a vote. Why not a vote? Wouldn’t spirits just vote? That would be godly indeed, and consummately appropriate for endless hordes of spirits. A vote. Why not a vote? But a war? We were spirits, for God’s sake, so what did we use for weapons to take each other down? Steamers? Hair dryers? Vacuum cleaners? Some kind of defogger, perhaps?

Important note: According the teachings of the Mormon church when I was a kid, some spirits didn't choose sides but were "fence sitters". Because they weren't valiant but didn't go with Satan they were allowed to come to earth--But-- as the Black people with the curse of Cain. No wonder they tango'd away from that racist crap as fast as they could.

Just see if you can get a Mormon to tell you any of that nowadays.

Date: December 29, 2020 09:07PM

There was a certain appeal to the gospel as explained by Done & Done: You got what you earned!

So you didn't have to feel sorry for any person's birth circumstances, because they were simply reaping what they'd sowed. Hey, if they'd earned the number of Spirit Scout merit badges that you'd earned, they wouldn't have been born during the Dark Ages and only lived a couple of hours. The moral equations solved themselves.

Being born White & Delightsome to parents married in the temple... That was the ultimate!

It was provable that one person was better than another...

Posted by: Done and Done ( )
Date: December 29, 2020 09:16PM

"It was provable that one person was better than another..."

OMG Ka-ching! Isn't that what it's all about?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 31, 2020 12:27PM

"It was provable that one person was better than another..."

And yet they loooove 'Murica, with its Constitution and Declaration of Independence...you know..."...all men are created equal"...

Cog' diss' anyone? But Mo's are never encouraged to think about stuff like that.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 31, 2020 02:32PM

You see, a bit of cognition is something of a prerequisite ;-)

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 31, 2020 02:32PM

You see, a bit of cognition is something of a prerequisite ;-)

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: December 29, 2020 10:56PM

Joseph Smith taught that babies will be resurrected and become Gods while being in the same body as they died.

Think it was in the King Follett Discourse - but has been some time now since I read it.

Date: December 29, 2020 11:12PM

In the millennium all those who died before physical maturity will age to that point and then maintain their fully developed bodies for eternity.

There won't be baby gods.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: December 29, 2020 11:46PM

That's the interpretation now. But the original KF sermon read quite differently, as even BYU Studies admits:

https://byustudies.byu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/18.2LarsonKingFollett.pdf

(See p. 15)
"A question about parents receiving their children. Will mothers have their children in eternity? Yes! Yes! Mothers, you will have your children. For they will have it without price; for their debt of redemption is paid. There is no damnation awaiting them for they are in the spirit. But as the child dies, so will it rise from the dead and be living in the burning of God and possessing all the intelligence of a God. It will never grow, it will be the child in its precise form as it was before it died out of your arms. Children dwell and exercise power, throne upon throne, dominion upon dominion, in the same form just as you laid them down. Eternity is full of thrones upon which dwell thousands of children, reigning on thrones of glory, with not one cubit added to their stature."

The above paragraph was omitted from the well-known version published in "Teachings of the Prophet JS." Only when people realized WTF? did the church retcon the sermon. Also, this is where the "Infants on Thrones" podcast get its name.

Date: December 29, 2020 11:57PM

Wow. I've read the church's versions of the KFD several times but never say this paragraph.

Thank you.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: December 30, 2020 12:48AM

I know right? That opens up a whole smorgasbord of weirdness.

For instance, do baby boy gods get full-grown women goddesses as part of their celestial harems? How would that even work with their tiny baby-sized dicks? The imagery…

Much worse is the idea of adult man-gods picking out baby girl goddesses as their forever wives. That's so skeevy it hardly bears thinking about.

Or are the babies limited to each other for their universe populating? The mind reels at the possibilities.

Talk about perversions. The celestial kingdom is beyond question the kinkiest place imaginable. Mormonism is so messed up.

Date: December 30, 2020 01:04AM

Yep. It's disturbing.

Date: December 30, 2020 12:34AM

Rats! I suppose I should apologize for the "... You blew it again" comment...

... Sorry you didn't blow it ...

Date: December 30, 2020 01:04AM

Yeah but then I have to apologize to you for the smiley face over having beaten you to the punch by one minute again.

Date: December 29, 2020 11:13PM

What I was taught from the KFC sermon was that when a child died, he/she was an adult in the spirit kingdom but would be resurrected at the age of death and then the resurrected parents would get to raise him/her during the millennium.

I'm gonna assume you blew it again.

Date: December 29, 2020 11:16PM

;-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.