Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: June 20, 2015 10:37AM

It's that time of year when thousands flock to Manti, UT to see this.

I had to chuckle when I heard the ad on the radio. "in the shadow of the Manti temple, which rivals the great Cathedrals of Europe".
Uh-huh. Except the great unwashed can't go INTO the Manti temple unlike the great Cathedrals of Europe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 20, 2015 01:53PM

My great cathedral can beat up your great cathedral.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 20, 2015 01:54PM

I've always wondered how TBMs would react if they were denied access to other's holy sites and buildings. They would complain, "And we made it a point to visit the Taj Mahal, and we were denied entrance. What's the point of being a spiritual site if they don't let everyone go inside?"

TBMs fail to comprehend why nevermos are disappointed when visiting temple square for the first time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2015 04:24PM by messygoop.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 20, 2015 01:58PM

If the Mormon Temples are the most holy and most important places on earth, why are they so anxious to elevate their status by comparing them to the great cathedrals of the "false" churches?

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: June 20, 2015 02:48PM

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: June 20, 2015 03:23PM

The ad sounded 100% serious. I laughed out loud when I heard the comparison.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: June 20, 2015 03:52PM

messygoop - you have a great point. TBMs can dish it out is big servings, BUT they can't take it.
They believe that their temples are MORE sacred/special/spiritual etc. than anyone else's so everyone else should let everyone in, but they need to keep their temples secret (oh excuse me I meant sacred! - bunch of hypocrites, but that is nothing new.

It seems to me (this is just my opinion), but it seems that you would want as many people to go in your temple as possible, because if the temple was really such a great experience, why would you want to withhold it from your fellow human beings? The cult just can't explain what true as*holes they are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2015 03:54PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: June 20, 2015 09:12PM

If they let everybody in then they can't charge members admission like they normally do.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: June 20, 2015 07:08PM

> "in the shadow of the Manti temple, which rivals
> the great Cathedrals of Europe".

Whoever wrote that copy has obviously never seen "the great Cathedrals of Europe"!

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 12:24PM

I like the Manti Temple's architecture

better than the scientology building in LA.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: June 20, 2015 07:31PM

If you want to know what it is like in a temple, go sit in a moderately up scale hotel lobby. If you want the full experience, wear a baker's outfit including hat and a dinky little apron. Women put a square of mesh over your face.

TADA! You.ve had the temple experience.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 12:26PM

Well not exactly.

I doubt I'll be allowed to wander the lobby naked covered only by a paper thin medical gown open at both size for easy access to my balsac so an 80 year old white man can grope me.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: June 20, 2015 09:29PM

They're comparing apples to oranges!! At least the public can go into the cathedrals , whereas the morg temples you cannot(unless you become a member or tour it during a "open house" after it's been remodel or a new temple).

Posted by: mahana ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 02:28AM

I'm in a neighboring town & dread this every year. It seems like the whole county is infiltrated with blabbering nitwits & bad drivers overnight. I hope they finish the road construction in manti before it gets into full swing. I can't wait for the day I can finally get out of this place.

We haven't had a sanpete shout-out in quite a while, maybe we need another one. I only know of a couple other exmo's here.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 12:17PM

I work for a place driving. Lately I've been getting a route driving through Sanpete County. It's a nice drive but I wouldn't want to live there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2015 12:18PM by Drew90.

Posted by: spintobear ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 01:08PM

As a kid I loved it when Macksene Rux would drive into town to head up rehearsals for the pageant. It was fun back then. I have returned to visit Sanpete over the years and brought friends with me from other parts of the country. Everyone of them were absolutely appalled with the script and said how sacrilege and false it was.

For years many people tried to sell the annual two week pageant as a boost to the local economy. Different stores in the neighboring towns would have sidewalk sales and kids would set up drink stands and such but the businesses didn't really do that well. One of my relatives who owned a business in the area put it like this. Those pageant attendees come to town with two things, the word of wisdom and a hundred dollar bill, and they're not going to break either one of them.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 01:42PM

Notice how they depict Joseph translating the book of mormon... Not a hat in the room.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 05:26PM

Thank whomever. I hated those type of things. I tried to like them, but never once went to something mormony that I enjoyed. I guess Saturday's Warrior was okay way back in the 1970s. I saw the Martin Harris pageant the first year they put it on. It went on for 4 hours. We were sitting on cement. I believe they've shortened it now.

I heard the ad for it early this morning. I told my son we were going to have to go!?!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2015 05:27PM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.