Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 21, 2015 11:11AM

http://thebuzztrend.com/rare-never-seen-photos-of-the-past/82/

Why not predict airplanes, The Internet? Heck, supposedly Heber J. Grant predicted temples would dot the globe.

Pretty short sighted for a future predictor.

People are 99.999999999999999999 percent of the time products of their time instead of transcendent of it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 21, 2015 11:16AM

Better odds than a broken clock which has a one in 720 chance of being right.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: June 21, 2015 11:24AM

That's like me predicting gay marriage will be the law of the land in 1986. Impossible? Ask someone in the fight for gay rights that was pushing for equality back in the 80's.

Everything Smith said or did was take from someone else. Someone share just ONE original idea from Smith?

Anyone...

Date: June 21, 2015 12:07PM

Making masonry a religion.

Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: June 21, 2015 03:52PM

I predict that within the next 10 years there will be a war somewhere in the world. Now give me my living stipend.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 21, 2015 04:00PM

lots of people predicted the civil war only Smith called it a "prophecy from god".

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: June 21, 2015 04:04PM

"Someone share just ONE original idea from Smith?"
The only original one I can think of is that an angel WITH A SWORD will get him and kill if he doesn't screw every vagina in town.

That is by far the most original reason to F*CK every woman you meet to me. Most cheating hubbys don't come up with anything that original or scary.
It worked for him too... the sad part.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: June 21, 2015 04:57PM

Once again, the arrogant, self-centered "prophesy" of Jo Smith. To me it read as a warning about what would happen if he were to be killed. God would pour out war, disease, and famine if Joseph were killed...that sort of thing.

"When I'm killed you will all be sorry!!" - Emo Joseph smith.

Posted by: Obadiah Dogberry ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 12:06AM

There was nothing extraordinary about Smith's so-called "Civil War Prophecy" if one considers the U.S. political crisis in the months immediately preceding and following its issuance. Note that the so-called prophecy (in D&C Section 87) is dated December 25, 1832. Then look up "Nullification Crisis" on Wikipedia or any book on U.S. history.

Turns out that federal tariff laws enacted first in 1828 and then in July 1832 were highly unpopular with the ruling class in South Carolina. So on November 24, 1832 a South Carolina state convention adopted the "Ordinance of Nullification," to void the enforcement of the tariff in their state. The state began making military preparations to resist federal enforcement efforts if necessary. The crisis was not resolved until March 1833, when Congress passed an amended tariff, coupled with an authorization to use military force to enforce it, after which South Carolina backed down.

So Joe's "prophecy" was issued just at the time when imminent civil war was considered a strong possibility. That's why he said, "wars that will shortly come to pass, beginning at the rebellion of South Carolina." His timing seems a bit off, though. Instead of "shortly," he should have said "in 28 years." (Or to allow more wiggle room, maybe "in about a generation.")

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 04:59AM

Actually Orson Hyde did supposedly predict fast moving airplanes, while the MORmONS were crossing the plains, IF that is legit historical account and not a BS MORmON FPR. It turns Really humorous when EPIC DUMB ASS Gordon Hinckley,who is profoundly ignorant of MORmON lore apparently, then profusely blabbered off at the mouth about how no one could have imagined flying over that territory so quickly as hyped up commentary from him about his return flight for the 1997 150 th ann celebration of 1847 arrival of MORmONS in Salt Lake Valley. Hinckley could say some insanely stupid stuff when he got on a roll trying to hype MORmONISM or christianity for that matter, Like when Hinckley claimed that none of Jesus' New testament apostles had any idea that Jesus was going to be resurrected from the dead, until Jesus actually did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9kJ_NdZT1A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4s3-fdDFDA

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 03:19PM

Orson Hyde is either a true TBM hero or a masochist to his name and reputation.

He is the one that dedicated Jerusalem/Palestine for the gathering of the Jews (Way before the 1945/47 decision to create Israel for the Jews).

Yet he and Pratt were pushed down in seniority in the Q12 because of his testifying against Joseph Smith in Missouri; which was unforgiveable by Brigham Young, so they never had the chance to lead or prophesy for the church.

Date: June 22, 2015 03:22PM

My ancestor BY "saved" the Mormon Church by destroying prophecy.

If he hadn't there would have been so much more failed and false prophesy that Mormonism would have been much more a footnote in history.

Thanks great great great grandpa! I'm your apostate great great great grandson who curses your name.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 12:40PM

O YE OF LITTLE FAITH!!!!!

There is none so blind as he who refuseth to see. Exceedingly!

Dost thou not see what is plain as a plain on Kolob on a kolobian day?

Peep stone = smart phone.

SMH!

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 01:10PM

Joseph Smith, Jr's list of FAILED prophecies is rather impressive

http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/falseprophecies.htm

"Mormonism - making broken clocks seem useful since 1830"

ziller

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.