Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: June 21, 2015 01:41PM

I was curious. Our minister took a moment to invite everyone to join in the pray in of "prophetic grief"
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Prophetic-Grief/304731042984458

We prayed together and then those with devices handy joined in.

We acknowledged those among us of African descent, we acknowledged that racism exists and that no one is safe. We sang Lift Every Voice and Sing. We resolved to move forward in love and to be active in routing out racism. Our closing prayer ended with the injunction to "Love the hell out of our country."

I was glad to be there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: June 21, 2015 03:49PM

What's that? The primary kids sang and I got a Hershey Chocolate bar.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: June 21, 2015 03:56PM

Nothing at my ward. Our ward did not even give the father's anything for Father's Day!! Cheapskates!!

Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: June 21, 2015 03:58PM

If they have out chocolate every week I could believe again.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: June 21, 2015 03:58PM

no mention of Charleston, the fam said the topic was the "trek." pulling wheel barrows around in the dirt out in Wyoming somewhere? for what reason, I couldn't say?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 21, 2015 04:31PM

Our minister opened the service with a reading, candleighting and minute of silence for the victims of Wednesday's tragedy. Not LDS, obviously. Then after services, anyone who wanted to join in a circle discussion was invited to stay and we had a great discussion.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: June 21, 2015 04:59PM

We prayed for those in Charleston it the part of our service called "The Prayers of the People." I am no longer LDS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2015 04:59PM by michaelc1945.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: June 21, 2015 09:12PM

http://gracechurchcharleston.org/

Quite a contrast to LDS silence. Not to mention the DesNews editorial that tried to spin the shooting as an attack on religion.

Posted by: Chucktown ( )
Date: June 21, 2015 09:35PM

There was mention of it here. Which is pretty obvious as this is Charleston. The entire stake had an additional Fast Sunday today.

Posted by: flo, the nevermo ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 11:42AM

May I ask: Was there any talk of committing any of that extra fasting $ to any cause that could be helpful to the people affected by the shooting? Or to any that might be exploring ways to prevent future acts of hate and racism?

'Cause if not, it would look an awful lot like tscc was attempting to profit from such a tragedy.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 02:58PM

Highly doubt the money will be directed towards anything but tscc.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 02:36AM

It was mentioned at length, even though the church services are over for the rest of the summer and they are having a UU lecture series. I would have been astonished had it not been mentioned.

Racism was deplored, we were asked to keep the grieving families in our hearts, there was a condolence card that anyone could sign after the lecture, and if anyone wished to donate to Emmanuel AME, they would forward the donations with the card. Not all that complicated, really.

Linda Newell happened to be in attendance (her husband Jack was today's lecturer) and she announced that the Episcopal Diocese (I think) was organizing a protest against gun violence next Sunday morning (7:45 am?) at the Salt Palace.

In truth, it doesn't feel like all that much to me, but it was something.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 09:49AM

Nope. It's not mormon-faith promoting and won't increase tithing revenue.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.