Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 20, 2021 10:41AM

I learned of this story upon my return from a 2 year mission (1990s). Like other return missionaries in my stake, I had been assigned as a "junior" companion to accompany the older high councilors who had been assigned to travel to other wards and branches.

So as we traveled to "our assigned branch" we passed an undeveloped orchard hilltop that was quite visible from the major interstate. He let out a very loud sigh.

He saw my reaction and began to rail upon the city and county commissioners who had blocked the church's proposal to build a new stake center on the former hillside covered with fruit trees.

Background: The church had "fought" with both city and county officials when attempting to build a new stake center during the 1980s. Apparently, they had blocked every site that the church had pitched for approval. In the end, the church indeed got permission to build the stake center at a less desirable location. For starters, aside from the building's foundation, 3 of the 4 sides have sloping surfaces. About 10 parking spaces are level and this has caused many elderly members problems when walking from the lot to the entrances (lots of stairs). Also, there was an easement problem so the church built a special crooked road that had to be built over a bog.

Now the county went way out of its way to make accessing the new stake center difficult (hardball time!). They would not allow a left turn from a passing lane to drive into the church's easement road. They installed "No Left Turns" signs and rotated a set of patrol cars to enforce the law. (My Mom got a series of citations and was livid about them ticketing her~ today she laughs about it). Two more things. First, the county will not allow them to trim willow trees and other vines so the stake center is not visible from the road. Secondly, the church can not install its sign anywhere near the easement road. Eventually, a compromise was made to allow turn lanes and even the easement road was named "Mormon Way".

Okay, back to the original story of the hilltop orchard. The church had purchased it with the intention of making the stake center a "beacon to the world" that would be seen by a steady stream of motorists on the freeway. However, the planning commission refused to allow the property to be "rezoned" for anything other than farming/agriculture. The church tried to sell it to retail companies who had lawyers who knew that they couldn't build on it. The church finally sold it to an Ag company for less than half of what they purchased it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2021 10:58AM by messygoop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 20, 2021 12:16PM

Great story!

Posted by: W8sted2years ( )
Date: January 20, 2021 03:12PM

Heres a 60 minutes video of The real estate arm of the church ending up getting their way with a fruit farmers land in 1979
in Utah

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd0ax6

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 07:09AM

W8sted2years Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Heres a 60 minutes video of The real estate arm of
> the church ending up getting their way with a
> fruit farmers land in 1979
> in Utah
>
> https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd0ax6

I remember watching that on 60 minutes when I was in 9th grade. It left me thinking, that doesn't seem like the church is so good in this story. And I never forgot Baum's name.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.