Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 11:04PM

Despite science saying the opposite!???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 11:10PM

Gawd I hope so....they don't deserve the taste of an exquisite cup of premium coffee in the morning...

RB

Posted by: yankeekid ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 11:24PM

I still feel quite judged at times when I'm drinking my coffee or tea.

Funny thing tho, one time I went to have lunch at Thanksgiving Point and I ordered coffee.

I was surprised how good the coffee was, a better cup than what you find at most places.
The only problem was, the waiter couldn't seem to understand we actually wanted a refill

Posted by: freedomatlast ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 11:34PM

My wife and kids are still TBM and we're at that awkward stage where I'm trying to be "normal" and she's not OK with it. Anyway, we were at a restaruant. I wanted lemonade but they didn't have any so I ordered an iced tea instead. (I've never had iced tea and thought it'd be a good refresher!) Anyway, the look on my wife's face looked like I'd just killed a puppy. My 8 yr old immediately started asking what I ordered. I told him it was lemonade to avoid the heated debate. The iced tea came. I took a sip and didn't really like it. My son wanted to try some and I told him it wasn't very good. My wife told him it "wasn't healthy" as the waitress brought my son his Coke. (Did I miss something here?) I'm trying to figure out where Iced tea is more unhealthy than Coke. . . Crazy Mormon thinking!!

Posted by: jojo ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 11:55PM

Not so fast. It's not so good for everyone:
"High consumption of unfiltered coffee (boiled or espresso) has been associated with mild elevations in cholesterol levels. And some studies found that two or more cups of coffee a day can increase the risk of heart disease in people with a specific — and fairly common — genetic mutation that slows the breakdown of caffeine in the body. So, how quickly you metabolize coffee may affect your health risk."
While low to moderate doses are generally safe, caffeine is addictive and users can become dependent on it and find it difficult to quit or even cut back

Other effects of too much caffeine:

It increases anxiety and disrupts sleep patterns, leading to a vicious cycle of restless sleep, relying on caffeine to help with daytime fatigue, followed by more insomnia.

Caffeine interacts with some medications, including thyroid medication, psychiatric and depression drugs, the antibiotic Cipro and the heartburn drug Tagamet.

It increases blood sugar levels, making it harder for those with type 2 diabetes to manage their insulin, according to a number of studies; it also can slightly raise blood pressure. If you have difficulty controlling either your blood pressure or diabetes, switching to decaf may help, says Rob van Dam with Harvard's School of Public Health.

Caffeine potentially leads to some spinal bone loss in postmenopausal women if they typically drink more than three cups, or 300 mg of caffeine, a day, but don't get enough calcium in their diet, says Linda Massey, emeritus professor of nutrition at Washington State University. An older woman should make sure she gets at least 800 mg of calcium daily — through food or supplements — to offset caffeine's effect on calcium, adds Bess Dawson-Hughes, M.D., director of the Bone Metabolism Laboratory at Tufts University in Boston.
Coffee itself can also mess with your stomach. If you have problems with acid reflux or heartburn, then coffee and even tea might not be right for you.

And if you have high cholesterol and you don't want your coffee adding to the problem, you need to use a paper filter to trap the cafestol, a compound in coffee that raises LDL cholesterol levels."

Coffee's not your friend if you're prone to heartburn. Coffee is highly acidic and is irritating to the gastrointestinal tract. Switching to decaf won't help: In fact some research has found that decaf increases stomach acid even more than caffeinated coffee. Neither will switching methods of brewing or roasting. Avoiding coffee is the only solution.

Caffeine's not your friend if you have acid reflux. Caffeine seems to be the main culprit by relaxing the sphincter muscle that normally keeps stomach acid from bubbling up the esophagus. Decaf coffee has significantly less of a reflux effect, studies have found.

So if you don't fall into any of these categories drink away.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 01:26AM

Coffee and tea are fine as far as they are transl.... errr brewed correctly.

Posted by: lily, not logged in ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 01:55AM

I still frequent the board over on babycenter. This comes up from time to time, and overwhelmingly the answers from the TBM crowd are like this:

1. The WoW is about obedience/We don't have to understand why/HF will bless me for following his commands.

2. Science is wrong a lot/I bet there's something bad we don't know yet/I knew a guy once who would die if he had caffeine so that's proof that HF knows what he's doing

3. I accidentally had a sip of coffee once and it was disgusting so I'm glad.

4. I don't want to be addicted to anything.

There's always a couple of people who want to argue about how bad coffee really is, but most admit that tea has benefits. Many even admit that the science says that coffee is good for you, but they still believe that the blessings from abstaining outweighs the health benefits coffee carries.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 02:27AM

The ironic thing about "not wanting to be addicted" is that many TBM's love their sodas and juice drinks which are basically sugar in liquid form. Unsweetened tea and coffee are in my opinion, far healthier than the sweet stuff Mormons often drink.

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 03:59AM

Hahahaha "I knew a guy once who would die if he had caffeine so that's proof that HF knows what he's doing" That is the most ignorant comment I've ever seen! So I guess HF should ban wheat, sugar (including fructose in fruits. Yes, fructose is DEADLY to some people), milk, nuts, seafood, corn, eggs, and more. Sooo basically we shouldn't eat food.

I guess HF needs to evolve humanity past the need for nutrients cause we're being pretty freakin disobedient right now with all this deadly food eating.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.