Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: yankeekid ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 12:34PM

As a non Mormon I've only observed this from the outside.
Is the day to day routine for Mormons set up to be very structured with activities so there's really no down time?

I know the average person has to have structure with work or school, but they can also fit in leisure enjoyment or some solitary time to do nothing if that's what they need.

is it deliberately set up this way so members don't have the time to start thinking about things?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 12:39PM

I have never been as busy as I was as a Mormon teen.

Between seminary, church, callings, school and work, I was busy from 5:30 am to 10 pm. Wednesday evenings were church activities. Saturdays were for work, chores, homework and maybe more church. Sunday was church and a most necessary nap.

We joked that they kept us busy to stay out of trouble. It was exhausting.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 12:39PM

No.

Solitary time means YOU WILL MASTURBATE!

It also means you might think; not sure which is more sinful...

Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 01:03PM

Nope, and despite all the endless work you end up doing, it is blasphemous to even consider the the thought of taking time off from the Church.

Nope, as a Mormon, life is work, work and work from cradle to grave.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 01:41PM

sharapata Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nope, and despite all the endless work you end up
> doing, it is blasphemous to even consider the the
> thought of taking time off from the Church.
>
> Nope, as a Mormon, life is work, work and work
> from cradle to grave.

============================================
You'll be wonderfully rewarded in the next life.

Unless, of course, you are female.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 02:49PM

"You'll be wonderfully rewarded in the next life. Unless, of course, you are female."
I'd like to add Also: single, not white, have to work on sundays, poor working class, knocked someone up, don't have momo offspring, not firmly established in the 1950's middle class. not a republican.

Posted by: Heathen ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 01:25PM

I lost one of my good fishing buddies when he was called as bishop; he has almost no free time.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 03:33PM

No. I never felt like I could keep up with everything that was expected of me, or like I ever could relax guilt-free.

If the absolute necessities were done, and the kids were in bed, there were always scriptures to read, prayers to say, etc. And I was usually exhausted. Tasks like reading scriptures, praying, visit teaching, temple attendance NEVER were done, because every day, or every month, you had to do them again. Not to mention many unfinished projects always lurking in the back of my mind.

That became a way of life, a way of thinking: Always over-committed, never being able to keep up or to completely relax, never feeling like I DESERVED to do what I wanted to until I did what I was SUPPOSED to do. I've been out of the church for 15 years. I'm still trying to change that kind of thinking.

To be honest, just in the past few months, I've started to get a glimpse of what it's like to feel like I own my own time. Leaving the church gave me a huge part of my life back. But I also had extended family expectations that have been looming for years, in spite of setting some boundaries. That situation has come to it's natural end.

Feeling a huge difference after that ending, I've realized that not feeling like your time is your own, to spend it guilt-free doing the things YOU want to do, saps motivation and joy out of life.

No wonder so many Mormons are depressed.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 03:55PM

Imaworkinonit's words describes so very well the 'must-be-busy- mindset' of Mormonism:

"That became a way of life, a way of thinking: Always over-committed, never being able to keep up or to completely relax, never feeling like I DESERVED to do what I wanted to until I did what I was SUPPOSED to do."

I notice now as an exmo that when I am around TBM's I feel like most of the time when I am interacting with them they are not really there with me because they are busy thinking about what t they 'should' be doing or what all they need to get done. Certainly not an atmosphere conducive to making one feel like someone is enjoying your company.

In these situations, I do try to place the blame where it belongs - the STUPID CULT'S INDOCTRINATION but I am still left with the fact that quality interaction did not occur. I am left to feel like the third wheel, the one not privy to this relationship. Some days I do not even want to engage.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 03:56PM

There was never enough time to do all that the Lord required of you to achieve exaltation and care for your family here on Earth. Made you feel hopeless.

Posted by: Phtttt ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 04:03PM

"Church" is a full time job with overtime if you try to do everything that is asked and expected of you.

I think it has gotten this way because those who give the direction, the Q15 and Q70 do church full time and think that
it is somehow the norm.

"Total Life Commitment" will not last given how quickly that ChurchInc has proudly become a distant Corp. HQ that cares about the bottom line while offering little in return.

Posted by: 3X (nli) ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 08:03PM

The Faithful are chained to the Treadmill of Zion - and I rather suspect they derive comfort from that state of being. Keep moving, Brothers and Sisters, and don't fall down.

They would resist mightly any attempt to turn the machine off, genuine free time being a frightening prospect.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 09:55PM

Dad and Mom always made time to do family stuff, and go on vacations with us 2 boys, and that could mean missing Sunday meetings too. Family was no. 1. Maybe because they couldn't have children of their own and adopted my brother and I, they knew how precious children are and never put anything else ahead of the family. That was at a time they both had callings in the church (EQP and RSP).

Ron Burr

Posted by: brettm ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 10:13PM

(Do Mormons ever have time off?)

No, not really. If they do go on vacation they're 'counseled' to find a local ward and attend.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.