Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 06:19PM

I had the chance to be with this writing group that was sponsored by a local university. This was a group of about 15 people led by a few professors. I didn't know everyone's story, but I was sure we had at least a few active Mormons - garments in the summer are easy to spot - and active RMs never shut up about their missions and how great they are.

We had a writing project to complete, and one of our pieces was going to be published in an anthology. We were given a central theme to work around.

I was nervous about the project simply because I'm working on something big right now - and I also wasn't sure about publishing something under the name that's on my birth certificate.

I had a few ideas about publishing something quick and safe. Something that would give me more time to write for my own project. But as time in the writing group went on, and publishing deadlines came closer and closer - I didn't want to write anything that was safe. It didn't feel real, and I didn't want my name attached to something without some weight behind it.

I talked to the professors about some concerns I had. I told them that one of my writing voices is sometimes described as "deeply offensive." I told them that I wasn't the one who was selecting the audience for this anthology - so I wasn't sure what to do with that. They laughed and mentioned that this was the first time someone came with that concern. They told me that I could write what I wanted, but that I may run into problems with profanity given the audience that the anthology goes to.

I had a few other ideas for a piece to publish that ended up being rejected by myself. They weren't anything I wanted to spend the time writing. I had one more idea and one more day before publishing.

I came home to drink and write myself into oblivion. But I couldn't even start writing my last idea. It wasn't good enough. I decided to scrap everything. I decided that if I was going to share a story to be published, I was going to share a story worth publishing.

I ended up writing a seven page paper condensing my life in Mormonism, my missionary experience, and my exit out of the church. In order to keep stupid people from instantly dismissing my story, I sanitized the paper from jokes and profanity.

I was respectful of the church. More respectful than it deserves. I highlighted my love for the church and willingness to serve and defend it.

Because that was true. But I also highlighted the times I got in trouble by the church for having questions.

I highlighted being told that the illness I suffered from as a missionary was my fault, and how often I was criticized and warned about Satan and his possessive qualities. And how often I was equated to Satan. And that church members told me not to tell my story.

Because that was true.

I didn't go into detail about researching my way out of the church and the specifics about that. Instead I reemphasized that this was a church that wouldn't/couldn't answer questions without making the questioning process a personal defect. I also said that what happened to me on my mission was considered abuse.

Because that's also true. I left it at that.

After we submitted our pieces to be published, we read them to each other. I was nervous. I told the group that I had written this story before, and published it in other formats, but never under this name.

I read the piece. It was difficult to get through. It sucked the air out of the room. The returned missionary sat in silence because she had to.

After sharing time was over, four people came up to me and said, "That's why I left the church too." They each told me a little bit about their exit stories. One involved a woman who after leaving the church had her mother try to get her own daughter's children away from her because this woman was suddenly, "unfit to raise children properly." I told this woman that I wished I hadn't heard her story before - but I had - from several different women. She was surprised. I told her, "there are a lot of us exmormons. And most of us have seemingly crazy stories until we hear a lot of them. And then nothing seems crazy - nothing seems outside the possibilities of the damage that the church can do."

Two of the professors demanded hugs from me, the others just were incredibly grateful I would write and share that.

Some of the group members left quickly without any words. Probably because I just shook up a giant can of Satan and sprayed it all over everyone.

Whatever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 06:27PM

Awesome story. Loved reading it.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 06:40PM

Hahahaha. A giant can of Satan is apparently always more powerful than their God. In fact Satan seems to know how to stay in the background and let Mormon Heavenly Father continue to be His own worst enemy and do Himself in.

Very uplifting story. So glad you got that.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 06:42PM

Well done, RJ!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 06:57PM

However, as we learned in church, it's their own fault if they got offended. :-)

But seriously, I'm glad you shared your story. When you share what happened to you, it opens up the way for other people to share and heal.

Posted by: Clementine ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 07:16PM

Love your story. You write so well, no matter what it is. Very powerful. I bet so many people are thankful you wrote about your life under Mormonism.

That's great that it will be published and the superior RM can do nothing about it. That must burn her grits. Let's hope the others will ask her uncomfortable questions about her special religion, now that you've called it out for the cult that it is.

When my husband was in hospital, there was a table where the nurses would take short breaks and gab for a bit, just a few feet down from where we were. I overheard one of the nurses telling the others she served a mission, and one of them asked her if she went to the temple. She confirmed this and told them a bit about what she believes. Honestly, I think her coworkers feigned polite interest. If she wasn't going to be working with my husband, I would have piped up and asked about the special garments and other weird things about her cult. It really makes me ill to hear Mormons talk about themselves like they are so superior and others should be looking up to them, based solely on what they believe.

The more the average Joes know what the deal is with Mormonism, the more they can protect themselves from potential harm and abuse.

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: June 27, 2015 10:58AM

Don't worry Clementine, I see this scenario play out from time to time: the Mormon expounds about their faith all the while thinking how spiritual they are and how EVERYONE is admiring them so much...

meanwhile back in reality, the coworker who is politely listening is thinking, "She's nucking futs!!" And as soon as the Mormon leaves the room everyone proceeds to discuss just how nucking futs the Mormon is. Seen it happen with JWs too.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 10:33PM

I want a giant can of satan to spray around. Going to comb through ebay right now. :^)

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 11:01PM

Bravo! I think you picked a good topic for your writing selection, tailored it to the audience, and presented it well.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 11:06PM

I do love your writing, RJ! You could make a grocery shopping list sound intriguing! I'm so glad to *see* you!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 03:06AM

Great work, RJ

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 04:12AM

Great story;

Now the only worry will be the TBMs who took your story as a personal challenge and they'll go home and write some stupid Faith Promoting Story or Testimony building drivel. And since it's really not a Q&A all you can do is an honest critique. I know I faced this same situation in a "creative writing" class.

If you give honest critique, the writers will think you're just bitter exmormon. If you lie and tell how "well thought out" and "how passionate" they were in their writing; they'll think they touched your heart and spirit.

Posted by: Slumbering Minstrel ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 05:18AM

I want a giant can of Satan!!
Thanks for sharing! I love reading your posts ;-)

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 05:26AM

Being sprayed with Satan -I might be able to tolerate that.

Being sprayed with MORmONISM aka LDS BS - NO WAY!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 09:44AM

Raptor Jesus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some of the group members left quickly without any
> words. Probably because I just shook up a giant
> can of Satan and sprayed it all over everyone.

I wish we could can and sell what it is they were sprayed with -- honesty.
Since we can't, it's just up to us to continue to exude it organically. Like you just did, and did well :)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 10:13AM

Thanks for the story, Raptor. You are the real thing.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 10:58AM

Ziller is still trying to wrap his head around the idea of a Raptor Jesus piece with no jokes or profanity...

brb ~ feeling the power of your powerful testimony

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 11:01AM

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 04:28PM

Awesome story!

Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 11:26PM

Raptor,

Thank you for telling us of how you spoke your truth. It was beautiful in spite of the difficulties you had in preparing it.

I hope your health is holding up.

DesertWoman

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 11:45PM

I have faith in you as an artist simply because you can spray Satan, unfettered.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 11:55PM

great exmo missionary work.

I'm sure you planted lots of seeds.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: June 27, 2015 03:52AM

Great story and I loved reading it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.