Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: June 27, 2015 10:39PM

I am considering buying a Jag.

Anyone have one, and had any surprises?

I am looking at an XK convertible.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 27, 2015 10:43PM

I hope you are a mechanic.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 12:45AM

No kidding! Have to drop the sub-frame to change a fuel pump. They look nice and ride nice. I'd be tempted to own a really old one but no more than tempted.

If you are into self-torture, you could buy a Volkswagen, BMW, Benz, Audi, Land/Range Rover.

If you are going for the style, then lease or trade in while still under warranty. If it's an old project car that you don't depend on for daily transportation, and you have lots of garage space, then any car is O.K.

There are lots of cars I like but would never own. I'm not Jay Leno.

Date: June 28, 2015 12:57AM

I love this guy! He's an old time mechanic who gives hands on real world advice. He reminds me of my grandpa.

Overlook the title of the video. He gives his opinion on Jaguars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoWZz1ckRGw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2015 01:04AM by wastedtime.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 27, 2015 10:48PM

There was a time when any self-respecting Jag' owner would put a 327 Chevy engine so it wouldn't be in the shop every other week, but that's all I really know.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 09:25AM

There was a company in So-Cal that specialized in putting small block Chevy's in Jags....they were called "JAGS THAT RUN".

RB

Posted by: Daledobach ( )
Date: June 27, 2015 10:50PM

I had a 2012 XJ and it was a turd. Turned it back in early. They're made in India now and I'd take a KIA over a jag.

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 03:12PM

Jaguars are not made in india, not even one of them. The company was purchased by TATA group but the cars are all still built in the UK, however they are planning to open a US, Brazil and a China plant to serve local markets.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 27, 2015 11:23PM

The new ones? Stunning.

I'm strictly a Benz guy, but the new Jaguars are very tempting esthetically.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 01:25AM

I'm with you. The new Jags are amazing.
However, I'm a Benz girl. Just bought a new one. Love, love it.

Posted by: Pugsly ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 12:18AM

My daughters Barbie Jeep was a better ride and way more dependable than DH Jag. It was a money pit.

Posted by: surroundednjudged ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 12:27AM

I have a 1989 XJS Rouge Edition V12 coupe if you are looking for something vintage. I have been wanting to sell it but haven't listed it yet.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 05:18AM

surroundednjudged Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a 1989 XJS Rouge Edition V12 coupe if you
> are looking for something vintage. I have been
> wanting to sell it but haven't listed it yet.

I am considering a new one. I am not much of a vintage guy.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 01:02AM

They are aesthetically beautiful cars, but my trusted mechanic thinks that they are garbage from a mechanical point of view. He has a complete contempt for them.

Posted by: cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 01:35AM

Jaguar: Jews And Germans Usually Argue Retail

Jaguar: just a guess u are rich

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 05:42AM

Jaguars are a beautiful piece of mechanical junk. Unless you are into self-torture stay clear of them.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 06:38AM

I have a Range Rover Super Charged and it is the most awesome car to drive. A lot of the car is actually Jaguar and Mercedees. The body is Land Rover.

I love to drive it but the maintenance is EXPENSIVE. Just spent $5,000 to fix some things but now need to spend another $2,000 so the $5,000 worth of repairs work. Plus $7,000 is needed on the suspension. All of these repairs are the Jaguar parts. I want to trade it in but am $15,000 upside down.

Hope you have a lot of extra money.

Date: June 28, 2015 07:00AM

I know a guy who's a Range Rover MECHANIC.

He loves them.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 08:20AM

Go for it. And make sure you get a certified Jaguar mechanic not one of the folks who think if it isn't made locally that it can't be a real car.

And are Jaguar's made in India now?
No. They are still made in the UK.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 10:19AM

A good friend of mine was the Jag dealer in Calgary for a couple decades (back in the 70's and 80's) and when he retired he bought a Lexus when they first came out in '89. I said, "Deane....how come you're not driving a big Jag?"...to which his reply was "'cause I don't want to get stranded every time I drive through a light rain shower".

RB

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 10:24AM

I owned a 1987 XJ-SC V-12. When it ran well, it was a delight to drive.

Keeping it running well-aye, there's the rub.

You could wrench it all day long, but if you didn't perform the secret incantations to keep Lord Lucas, the prince of darkness, at bay, he would not allow your motorcar to provide Grace, Pace & Space as intended by the good folks on Brown's Lane.

New Jags, I dunno, ownership of the marque has been tossed about the globe... methinks the new car would scant contain the aggravating bits that Coventry lovingly built into each example years ago. But then again, Lord Lucas may still be at his tricks.

Probably you should buy something less, erm, haunted by the past...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2015 10:26AM by csuprovograd.

Posted by: richardthebad (not logged in) ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 02:30PM

British cars are built to give British gentlemen something to do on the weekends (fixing them). I don't know if they still use Lucas electronics, but if they do you may want to learn Voodoo.

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 03:17PM

I'm not defending the reputation of Jaguar, but if you look at the car you will see that the design is by Jaguar, however the origins tell an interesting story.

The Jaguar Land Rover company has been owned by Ford and by BMW, both of whom spent a lot of money investing in models with new designs.

The new cars benefit from the best parts of both marques. The new F Type is a monster, it gives the 911 a real run for its money, sounds great, and looks better IMO.

However, on the Land Rover side, i'm still hearing that some of the models still have mechanical issues despite good quality parts. I know two owners of Evoques that have taken them back for repair many times.

The range rover Vogue and Sport look stunning. If you have the money they are great prestige cars - but you do need money to own and maintain one of these.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.