Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 30, 2015 11:56AM

WOW! That looked odd.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: June 30, 2015 11:58AM

Nice find. I think my grandmother just rolled over in her grave.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: June 30, 2015 12:01PM

What a bunch of hypocrites!

Posted by: Pathoss ( )
Date: June 30, 2015 12:02PM

I can't stop laughing at this.....

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 30, 2015 12:08PM

Hahahahahaha! A TBM said he was disappointed that while loving the quote, he thought a better representation of the LIVING christ could have been chosen. A very valid point for a mormon to make...

Which immediately made me think of publishing an uplifting story about Joseph Smith, accompanied by a photo of him in the barn with Fannie, pants down around his ankles, looking back over his shoulder at the 'camera.'

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 30, 2015 12:26PM

Now, that's funny. I wonder if my TBM ex had a fit over that, as he was upset when my mom unknowingly offended him by giving me a cross necklace as a baptism gift. Even the plain cross was enough to offend him, let alone a crucifix.

Posted by: straightoutacumorah ( )
Date: June 30, 2015 12:28PM

When the f*ck did the Mormons start using the crucifix? That shocked me. I knew they are desperate to be "mainstream" Xtian but still. When I was a kid any Mormon caught using a cross for anything would have been stoned to death (figuratively speaking).

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: June 30, 2015 12:51PM

That's really weird to see.

I remember as a kid wanting to buy a cheap crucifix necklace at a local fair and my grandmother not giving me the money because "we don't believe in the cross". This would have been sometime in the 70's.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: June 30, 2015 01:32PM

If you hold up a cross to a Mormon, they will behave like a vampire.

Posted by: Anon today ( )
Date: June 30, 2015 06:25PM

I distinctly recall the response the seminary teacher told us to give if a Protestant or Catholic asked us why Mormons don't have crosses on or in their churches: "If Christ had been killed with a gun, would you have a pistol on top of your church?"

God, we were taught smugness.

But this FB page has crosses throughout! When did that happen???

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: June 30, 2015 07:09PM

The correct response to that remark would be:

"If Christ had been killed with a gun the Romans would have been well impressed!"

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: June 30, 2015 06:44PM

That is the most surprising thing I've seen the LDS church do to brand itself as mainstream Christian.

I am assuming it's really a church-sponsored page, and if it is, it is a new low in their "We're just like you" campaign.

From LDS.org on why TSCC does not use the crucifix:

https://www.lds.org/new-era/1996/09/qa-questions-and-answers?lang=eng

(The link points to a "Q&A" section of a 1996 "New Era." It also says "Answers are intended for help and perspective, not as pronouncements of Church doctrine." Of course.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2015 06:47PM by left4good.

Posted by: Deer ( )
Date: June 30, 2015 07:05PM

I think they're saying that Catholics another Christians are casual about their faith in Christ.

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: June 30, 2015 07:12PM

I doubt it's an official page. Whoever owns it probably doesn't understand that Mormonism focuses on the Garden of Gethesame over the crucifixion

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: June 30, 2015 11:35PM

the "Cross of the Happy Death" (can you get more papist than that?),A plenary indulgence is granted under the usual conditions to one who, at the hour of his death, kisses, touches, or otherwise reverences the Crucifix, and commends his soul to God. It contains a St. Benedict medal behind the head of the corpus.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.